Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Africa

Old 05-21-2009, 21:55   #1
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Witchcraft in the Congo

Catch the second half right now - but be warned - it will piss you off.

You think that the average American TV Evangelist – is a just a pimp to his own self interest – these guys are from the same mold, but just use a different method.

I would love to shove those crosses of theirs up where the sun don’t shine.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=7613395&page=1
Old 05-21-2009, 22:38   #2
mojaveman
Area Commander

A violation of basic human rights.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 23:32   #3
Pete S
Guerrilla

Africa is a weird place.

In the western world if you have an argument with a neighbor, you take it to the courts.
In Africa you just chop their arm off with a machete.

Looks like they just adopted Christianity in name only.
Just a different name for their indigenous beliefs.
Not really a new thing, but that doesn't excuse the heathens.
Pete S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:18   #4
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
A violation of basic human rights.
Human Rights? If they treated pigs or chickens as bad as this, they would be ridiculed.

What is going on there is a reality that is hidden to most of us in the West – a reality in which no matter how little you have – there will always be someone to take, even that from you.
These parents are told that the reason they are poor, have no job, no food, no money is because their children have become possessed. They need a reason to explain their misery – since it is always convenient to blame the devil - they leap to that explination. But since you can’t punish the devil, you hurt the children, since you can’t make the devil atone for his sins, you feel better when your childeren confess and beg for forgiveness for what they did to make your life so miserable. And since, even in Africa, you can’t do any of this without risk of being arrested for child abuse, you get the church to do it for you - enter the PimpWhore Preacher with the Golden Cross arround his neck.
These preachers, flog, burn, scratch, punch, slap, gag, and starve these kids until they have gotten as much money as they can from the parent; then they pronounce the kid cured. These preachers need to be tuned up.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:28   #5
Retread
Asset

There is a steady stream of people that need to be shot in the face in Africa. They, like people in the Mid East and parts of Eastern Europe, don't teach children the basic cognitive and critical thinking skills they need to operate as functioning adults. When kids don't get that stuff at a young age, you get this crap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joshua_Blahyi

http://www.endtimee.bravehost.com/
Old 05-22-2009, 08:26   #6
Five-O
Guerrilla Chief

Thumbs down

Very sad story about how the poor and uneducated are taken advantage of and sucked dry by criminals in the name of God.
Five-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:49   #7
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O View Post
Very sad story about how the poor and uneducated are taken advantage of and sucked dry by criminals in the name of God.
And Africa doesn't have a monoply on such charlatans, hucksters, crooks, megalomaniacs, sadists, and the like - they're everywhere.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:06   #8
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-O View Post
You talking about Africa or America?
Old 05-22-2009, 17:32   #9
monsterhunter
Guerrilla

"Bobby and Henock were brought to this pastor by their stepmother, who said she believes her stepsons are witches and claimed the boys were stealing their stepsister's blood and using it to fly at night."

Now that's really something. I've been drunk to the point where I'm clinging to the grass to keep from spinning off the planet. Even in that state, a thought as wild as this has never materialized. I wonder what kind of hooch mama's been putting down before bed.
monsterhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 17:44   #10
lonepine
Asset

Last time I was visiting my grandparents in Zambia some Peace Corps volunteer was passing through the game reserve and told the following story:

Lately there had been a spate of witch-craft allegations sweeping through the local villages. Some accused were killed, others fled. One guy was brought before the whole town and his accusers said,

"This man here is a witch! I know because I saw him last night turn into a crocodile and swim into the river!"

The poor old guy just stood up there and finally, to the surprise of all, "Yes, you are right. I can turn into a crocodile. And if you try to harm me I will turn into a crocodile and eat you all."

Nobody messed with him again. Africa is indeed a strange, strange place.
lonepine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 18:54   #11
jasonglh
Guerrilla

They are just a few centuries behind the rest of the world.

First thing to pop into my mind twisted as it is.

Col. Robert W. Black
jasonglh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 22:38   #12
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonglh View Post
They are just a few centuries behind the rest of the world.

First thing to pop into my mind twisted as it is.

Or just a few generations ahead of it - if the Taliban, General Butt Naked, and the like could have their way of it.

It was not too long ago we had our own brand of witch-hunts in America - Mcarthyisim and the red scare. We had nearly a whole subculture of rational people going along with that guy becuse it was the only safe way of not being accused of being a comunist witch - what a bunch of idiots.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:09   #13
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
It was not too long ago we had our own brand of witch-hunts in America - Mcarthyisim and the red scare. We had nearly a whole subculture of rational people going along with that guy becuse it was the only safe way of not being accused of being a comunist witch - what a bunch of idiots.
You should read a bit more on some of the more recent literature available in regards to McCarthy's claims which has been written since the Wall came down and we've had access to previously unavailable files from the former Soviet Union. McCarthy was an idiot - his cause was not without some merit, however.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 05:58   #14
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonepine View Post
Last time I was visiting my grandparents in Zambia some Peace Corps volunteer was passing through the game reserve and told the following story:

Lately there had been a spate of witch-craft allegations sweeping through the local villages. Some accused were killed, others fled. One guy was brought before the whole town and his accusers said,

"This man here is a witch! I know because I saw him last night turn into a crocodile and swim into the river!"

The poor old guy just stood up there and finally, to the surprise of all, "Yes, you are right. I can turn into a crocodile. And if you try to harm me I will turn into a crocodile and eat you all."

Nobody messed with him again. Africa is indeed a strange, strange place.
lonepine,

See guys, some of us old farts can still think fast on our feet......

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:46   #15
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
You should read a bit more on some of the more recent literature available in regards to McCarthy's claims which has been written since the Wall came down and we've had access to previously unavailable files from the former Soviet Union. McCarthy was an idiot - his cause was not without some merit, however.

Richard's $.02
I will - but not on this tread - perhaps a new one - any suggestions on what I should read? Seriously!