Old 07-24-2006, 14:07   #1
Slantwire
Quiet Professional

Tanzania

I think this is an appropriate topic. If not, let me know.

I found out today that a doctor friend of mine (I believe the term is "resident") will be spending a month in Arusha, Tanzania (some sort of Doctors Without Borders thing, I think).

I know little. Can anyone here add knowledge? Religious or ethnic boundaries to respect, areas / situations to avoid, general lay-of-the-land?

Thanks in advance.
Slantwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 14:08   #2
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Pinhead-
check out the cia website - it has area studies.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 15:10   #3
Airbornelawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead
I think this is an appropriate topic. If not, let me know.

I found out today that a doctor friend of mine (I believe the term is "resident") will be spending a month in Arusha, Tanzania (some sort of Doctors Without Borders thing, I think).

I know little. Can anyone here add knowledge? Religious or ethnic boundaries to respect, areas / situations to avoid, general lay-of-the-land?

Thanks in advance.
For basic info, there is also the Wikipedia entry on Arusha, which includes such information as:

1. By the foot of Mount Meru, its climate is relatively cool and humidity low.

2. Among Arusha's notable districts are the Central Business Area, located by the Clocktower, Sekei in the North-West which is largely residential with a vibrant nightlife, Njiro, a rapidly-growing suburb in the South, and Tengeru, a lively market-town in the East.

3. Arusha has a lively music scene, notably Tanzanian hip hop, blending Maasai and Swahili influences with western music, locally known as Bongo Flava. A good example of this genre is the band, X Plastaz.

4. Arusha's sister cities include Durham, North Carolina and Kansas City, Missouri.

Some other links:

- Arusha Times (local newspaper)
- State Department Consular Information Sheet on Tanzania
- Australian Government Travel Advisory for Tanzania
- British Foreign Office Travel Advice for Tanzania
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 15:16   #4
Airbornelawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinhead
...areas / situations to avoid...
Don't tease them:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elephantduo.jpg (54.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg lion.jpg (81.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg hyena.jpg (89.5 KB, 13 views)
Old 07-24-2006, 15:18   #5
Airbornelawyer

Those, BTW, are from some guy's travelogue of Arusha, which is in the safari tourist zone of the country. There are also some pictures of the city proper:

http://cserepvaros.hu/africanjourney/tanzania.htm

All the text is in Hungarian, though.
Old 07-24-2006, 15:20   #6
Airbornelawyer

Another safari travelogue: http://www.ntrautanen.fi/safari04/arusha.htm

This one is in Finnish, but there are pictures of Arusha halfway down, including the Clocktower and a gas station.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:14   #7
Neo
Asset

I was there last year backpacking through. Nice place, its typical east Africa. Watch out for pick pockets and scams on the street. Don't walk down dark alleys by yourself. There are plenty of tourists there, visit a few Hostels, always a good place to have a few cold ones with an Aussie or Kiwi.
Do not get tempted to use any of the horizontal entertainment, AIDs is rampant. Take plenty of Immodium, the local food is excellent, but if you are not use to it, you might be messed up for a few days. Take hard currency dollars. Try to have the bills after the year 2000 and in good condition. The exchange places are very skeptical on certain bills because of so many counterfeits.

Last thing, but probably the best of all, tell him to visit the Ngororo(sp?) Crater Park and Serengeti National Park. For a mere 270 USD you can see both from a Land Rover with detacheable roofs and your own driver/guide. You sleep in tents in the park, no fences, so don't stray to far from the fire. Excellent wild life, probably the best place to see true Africa.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Neo; 07-27-2006 at 11:24.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 13:34   #8
Slantwire
Quiet Professional

Thanks guys. I had gotten the stock stuff from the World Factbook and Wikipedia already, but was looking for something more... "on the ground reality."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Take plenty of Immodium, the local food is excellent, but if you are not use to it, you might be messed up for a few days. Take hard currency dollars. Try to have the bills after the year 2000 and in good condition. The exchange places are very skeptical on certain bills because of so many counterfeits.
This is exactly the kind of thing that I couldn't find in my basic googling. Thanks!

Oh, and my friend's a female married doctor, I don't think the horizontal entertainment is going to be an issue; she'll probably spend a lot of time treating AIDS patients, not hooking up with them! Similarly, I'm sure she's familiar with the major infectious diseases; but does anyone have any hints that they would file under "I don't know why the civvies don't know to do xyz to avoid disease vector bug bites?"

Last edited by Slantwire; 07-27-2006 at 13:41.
Slantwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 14:22   #9
Neo
Asset

Malaria is prone there, so pop those anti malaria drugs. I took the, forgot the name, but you take one everyday for 1-2 weeks before leaving, and than once a week while in country and than a week or too after leaving the "infected" area. Some of the people I was with took the other "everyday" malaria pill and they had some serious side affects. Bad, bad sunburn, rashes and just plain vomiting. I had no side affects, a lot of the girls had the affects. But, if your friend is a doc I am sure she will figure it out.

Just make sure she always travels in groups, especially with males. The locals target females, especially ones by themselves. Most of the time they are just out to pinch their wallet, but you never know. Like I said before hard currency USD is the best, but if she is scared of taking so much cash, take a well known travellers check. The exchange booths rip you off on the "transaction" fee, but hey its Africa.

Make sure she has a Yellow International Immunization Card, same one we have in the military. She must have the Yellow Fever shot. She should also look into getting Typhoid; Rabies; Hepatitis A; Hepatitis B; Tetanus; Polio and Meningitis shots. It might sound over board, but Africa is a dirty place, and you never know what you might pick up.

Take a personal medical kit, other to what she is taking for the "patients". I just got one off REI.

If you need any other info just let me know.
Good Luck!

P.S. Have her seriously check out those two parks I mentioned. They are awesome. True Africa!