Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Africa

Old 06-14-2007, 05:36   #1
Neo
Asset

Zimbabwe 'collapse in six months'

You know, its so sad to see a beautiful country like this go to hell. In my opinion Mugabe might blame the problems on the west, but when he is living in luxury in Switzerland and sipping Cognac on his private plane, whos to blame? Someone should really get rid of him.

Just my two cents.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6751671.stm
Old 06-14-2007, 06:38   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

This has long been the predictable outcome of what was once among the most productive and richest countries in Africa.

Marxism, kleptocracy, and discrimination against the minorities have led to this. The standard of living there is lower right now than it was under the worst white oppression, and the people are no more free. Starvation is rampant in a country that was once an exporter of food and agricultural products. Comrade Mugabe has oppressed any opposition ruthlessly and violently. Everyone who could flee has already done so. I would hope that this is a lesson, but it seems to be ignored by the MSM.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:27   #3
Neo
Asset

I was there in 2005. One of my mates warned me not to talk to anyone in any of the pubs about politics, especially about Mugabe. I guess talking trash gets your ass thrown in jail. The worst part about it, is the tourism has dropped so much. Everyone who use to visit Victoria Falls now stays on the Zambian side. Hotels are thriving on the Zambian side, while hardly anyone stays on the Zim side. Its kind of scary when you are paying 5 USD for a stamp in Zim.

Anyways, I guess its Africa. You never lose your roots, but I am glad I am an American these days.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:46   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I was in a class with a Zimbabwean major a few years ago.

We got assigned together to a discussion of the Rhodesian War along with another American.

I will have to say that he told a good story, but seemed to have been pretty heavily indoctrinated and was reluctant to answer questions about Mugabe, corruption, starvation, oppression, etc. Personally, I half expected him to defect and try to claim refuge in the US rather than go back.

What is happening to the people of Zimbabwe right now, black and white, is a crime, and one you don't hear much about anymore.

Kind of like what happened with Vietnam after 1975 when huge groups were thrown into reeducation camps, exiled, or disappeared. The media and leftists who wanted us out seemed to have missed the outcome and moral burden of their actions in that one as well.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:50   #5
Neo
Asset

The indoctrination is pretty bad. But I think some are finally realizing that there is nothing good coming out of it. I read an article in the Time magazine, about an American reporter being locked up in a Zim jail for a couple of days. He said the Police were very quick to lock him up, but once he was in, they would talk about the starvation, lack of pay etc. Pretty much they were very disgruntled but to scared to do anything.

I am just afraid that South Africa will go the same way. Thabo Mbeki is big buds with Mugabe, and the land reformation, in my opinion, has been on his mind for a little time now.
Old 06-14-2007, 23:58   #6
AxeMan
Quiet Professional

Jumpmaster School in Zimbabwe

I was in a Jumpmaster MTT run by 3/3rd SFG(A) out of 1 Commando outside of Harare in 1996. Came straight from a JCET in Uganda and had a blast there. Food was great (and cheap), and it seemed like they had things under control. Later, in early 2000, I was at Lake Malawi just at the end of an ACRI mission and some ex-pats showed up at the hotel that we were staying at. They had been chased off of their ranch while under fire from local thugs. They literally left with the clothes on their back because they had basically been attacked on their property because they were whites. Sad state of affairs there. I would love to go back someday.

...........MDW