Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 06-22-2013, 06:29   #16
joesnuffy
Quiet Professional

Just got done with SERE and it taught me a lot about what I am capable of doing under so many stressors. It was an amazing experience.

War criminal #16

"You are not here merely to make a living. You are here in order to enable the world to live more amply, with greater vision, with a finer spirit of hope and achievement. You are here to enrich the world, and you impoverish yourself if you forget the errand." - Woodrow Wilson
joesnuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:15   #17
charlietwo
Quiet Professional

Best course I ever attended, hands down. The world was a different color coming out... I literally remember how bright the flag seemed when we were finally repatriated. Still a flood of emotions when I think about that moment.

War Criminal 30 and War Baby 2004 - June
charlietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:28   #18
The_Mentalist
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietwo View Post
Best course I ever attended, hands down. The world was a different color coming out... I literally remember how bright the flag seemed when we were finally repatriated. Still a flood of emotions when I think about that moment.

War Criminal 30 and War Baby 2004 - June
as an interrogator (86-87)(asset, not staff) at SERE, you guys taught me a lot. That ceremony brought tears to my eyes each and every time. It still tugs on my heart strings to remember it. This is where I gained the most respect, which I already had quite a bit, for the SF troops. At no time in service did I ever witness as much pride in the nation as the students showed. It was emotionally the hardest thing I ever had to do and the thing I am most proud of having been a part of.

ETA: any one that went through at that time period that remembers a skinny 5'10" interrogator that often wore a foreign camo pattern uniform with a Cuban looking cap (brass on cap was 3 chrysanthemums over a bar, all gold) PM me. Would love to hear an update.

Last edited by The_Mentalist; 06-25-2013 at 07:41.
The_Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:33   #19
grndy18269
SF Candidate

Just finished the last class. What an amazing school--definitely the best school I've gone through in the Q so far. I learned a whole new respect and appreciation for the American flag and POW's.

WC 5
grndy18269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 14:04   #20
glebo
Quiet Professional

Just a friendly reminder folks

The thread is good, just remember your SA and don't go into detail on anything.

I don't know if they sign NDA's anymore just keep in mind...

Carry on..boots...boots...
Old 06-26-2013, 14:50   #21
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post
BAH!!!

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 14:56   #22
exsquid
Quiet Professional

"...there is no end to the war."

x/S
Old 06-26-2013, 21:42   #23
ghp95134
Guerrilla

WAR BABY HERE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkilla View Post
Best school ever

"Roll to the porcelain..."

EDIT: The class I was in had a female senior officer, senior enlisted and war baby. Has that ever happened again?

I was the War Baby in the USAF school (SV80A) back in 1974. Oh ... does the USAF Survival School count today as SERE? The school was a total of 13 days comprising classroom training, parachute ground school, evasion up near the Canadian border, then Xn days in POW camp. [Redacted for content]

[ REDACTED ]

My strongest memory is the final day when the People's Democratic Republic's OIC lined us up in formation and said that he would MAKE us salute their flag. [MY ASS! we thought!!!] [REDACTED]

During the classroom phase we had instruction from an NCO (tech sgt, I think) named "Pickle" -- an unusual name that I've never forgotten. He E&E'd from East Germany as I recall. Taught us how to handle chase dogs.

Fast forward to 2008 or thereabouts. I was TDY from NASA to a school inside Ft. Huachuca to get feedback on a project we were working on. The civilian head of that school said he was one of the PDR troops in '74 and remembered picking me up and shaking me violently (as the war baby, that was my fate whenever someone else said something wrong).

Anyway, I think "Ed" has since retired from that school. And I think he lied when he said he remembered me. Just a "technique" if you know what I mean.

Soooooo ..... how does the USAF SERE school compare with the SF SERE school? I was told in 74 that the SF school "boarded" all students. Is that true .... or another "war story?"

--ghp95134

------------
"And all this science, I don't understand. It's just my job five days a week" -- Rocket Man

Last edited by ghp95134; 06-26-2013 at 21:48. Reason: EDIT: TMI
ghp95134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 21:51   #24
ghp95134
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by glebo View Post

oink, oink, oink

------------
"And all this science, I don't understand. It's just my job five days a week" -- Rocket Man
Old 06-26-2013, 21:55   #25
BKKMAN
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghp95134 View Post

...Soooooo ..... how does the USAF SERE school compare with the SF SERE school? I was told in 74 that the SF school "boarded" all students. Is that true .... or another "war story?"

--ghp95134
Having gone through the "toughest school in the military", the AF SERE Level C Course at Fairchild AFB, I would describe the AF course as the "gentlemen's'" course...Don't want to slap the pilots into a nasty case of PTSD or the like...

It is not inequality which is the real misfortune, it is dependence. Voltaire
BKKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 22:02   #26
ghp95134
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKKMAN View Post
Having gone through the "toughest school in the military", the AF SERE Level C Course at Fairchild AFB, I would describe the AF course as the "gentlemen's'" course...Don't want to slap the pilots into a nasty case of PTSD or the like...
BWA-hahahaha..... That's funny! Really.

Yeah ... I've graduated the "second toughest school in the military" ....

....oops ... not counting BUDS ... or PJ ......

Hell .... where, along the "toughest school in the military" continuum, DOES Ranger School fall? Am I down to Number Four now???

------------
Old 06-27-2013, 13:54   #27
Survival7201
Asset

Air Force Survival

I guess I'll take a shot at this. I was a Survival Instructor at FAFB from 72-75. As most of you know the Survival School had a very different mission from the Army SERE school. Our job was to take air crew members some who had never been in the woods before and get them acquainted with wilderness survival. It was, a very basic school, and not intended to bring knowledge levels above be able to identify, and some basic skills. The resistance training portion was very limited due to time constraints, and very basic. For most Air Force personal it was "the hardest school" they had attended, and did save many lives. I had the privilege to attend the Army school, and it was much more focused and much harder. I am retired now and one of my team mates from Homestead is living with me. He left the Air Force in 82 and went to Navy and eventually SEALS. He and I agree that the Air Force Survival school and the training prior, called ITB then "instructor training branch" was the easiest of all of our military training. We have a reunion this summer, we plan to see what the "New SERE" is all about, but at face value, it seems to have improved a lot since our days. I do not feel that we were ever "operators" or ever at a level to be more than baggage carriers. However, we did bring back to the basic school a new team discipline, that seems to have caught on. Nothing changes over night, and I hope our career field will continue to improve, and earn the respect of the other branches.
Survival7201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 14:38   #28
Loadsmasher
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKKMAN View Post
They werent suppossed to hit us!!!! I'm calling my congressman.

On another note, one of my favorite expierences from SERE was when an instructor was tossing a female around for "reeducation" and one of the guys took the bait and asked if the instructor was practicing for when he got home. Good times were had by all.
Old 06-27-2013, 14:42   #29
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survival7201 View Post
I guess I'll take a shot at this. I was a Survival Instructor at FAFB from 72-75. As most of you know the Survival School had a very different mission from the Army SERE school. Our job was to take air crew members some who had never been in the woods before and get them acquainted with wilderness survival. It was, a very basic school, and not intended to bring knowledge levels above be able to identify, and some basic skills. The resistance training portion was very limited due to time constraints, and very basic. For most Air Force personal it was "the hardest school" they had attended, and did save many lives. I had the privilege to attend the Army school, and it was much more focused and much harder. I am retired now and one of my team mates from Homestead is living with me. He left the Air Force in 82 and went to Navy and eventually SEALS. He and I agree that the Air Force Survival school and the training prior, called ITB then "instructor training branch" was the easiest of all of our military training. We have a reunion this summer, we plan to see what the "New SERE" is all about, but at face value, it seems to have improved a lot since our days. I do not feel that we were ever "operators" or ever at a level to be more than baggage carriers. However, we did bring back to the basic school a new team discipline, that seems to have caught on. Nothing changes over night, and I hope our career field will continue to improve, and earn the respect of the other branches.
Is that what we are now - "baggage"?

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 16:26   #30
Survival7201
Asset

Baggage carriers

My response was to our positions as assigned during combat duty. I never made it as I was in Camp Chinen in 73 when hostilities ended. My service was not required. I was saying that we could be counted on to carry the baggage of those who had a combat MOS and were doing their jobs. I often asked my fellow instructors "what is it exactly that you are going to do on a team"? I had hoped to be a part of a team, and learned to stand back and not get in the way. I did appreciate my "Army" training and tried to implement the team approach when I arrived back at FAFB in July of 73. Survival Instructors (were) not inclined to herding and had little or no team discipline. I understand it is much better now. I am excited about my first reunion this summer in Spokane. I have watched the SERE video's and have several acquaintances who are now in senior positions in SERE. I also have team mates who have retired as E-9's.. Quite a surprise. Just proves the adage, "You just never know". or "who wooda guessed it"?
Survival7201 is offline   Reply With Quote