Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 14:04   #781
Bad Tolz
Asset

seeking reviews

"The West Point Way of Leadership" by Col. (ret) Larry Donnithorne.

De Oppresso Liber

Who dares wins
Old 06-17-2011, 07:28   #782
Angry Mike
Quiet Professional

"Eastern Approaches"

by Fitzroy Maclean
Old 06-17-2011, 19:24   #783
stfesta
Quiet Professional

What I am reading.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Great book, unreal about how it applies in todays world. It was written in the 50's.

sf
Old 06-22-2011, 10:55   #784
Jgood
Quiet Professional

Isaac Camacho: An American Hero
By Billy Waugh SF SGM(R)

Found a copy signed by SGM Waugh and Isaac Camacho at Ed McKay's
There is only one tactical principal which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wounds, death and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time.
Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:08   #785
mdpatterson
Guerrilla

Escape From Davao

"The Forgotten Story of the Most Daring Prison Break of the Pacific War"

A good friend of mine is the Author so I'm a bit biased, but anyone interested in Military history (I assume most if not all on this board are) will enjoy this book. It is being considered right now for an episode of "Missions that changed the War".

Mike
Old 06-29-2011, 20:31   #786
akv
Area Commander

The Eiger Sanction by Trevanian, brought to my attention by Sigaba after reading and enjoying Shibumi by the same author.
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
Old 06-30-2011, 09:15   #787
dualforces
Asset

TEMPO: by Venkatesh Rao

Although I had never heard of Mr. Rao, a well read friend, whom I exchange books on the regular, recommended "TEMPO: Timing, Tactics & Strategy in Narrative-Driven Decision-Making". I was skeptical, but ordered it. I rec'd it 2 days ago and have been into it since.

Rao did a post doctoral stint at Cornell while doing research funded by the Air Force on complex decision-making. He manages to neatly weave together ideas/concepts from Clausewitz to Mahan and Boyd in the book and make it accessible.

Great book, I must say...enjoy.

A review on LE&SC>
http://www.lesc.net/blog/book-review...-venkatesh-rao

Book link>
http://www.tempobook.com/
Old 06-30-2011, 11:36   #788
kimberly
Guerrilla

The Company They Keep by Anna Simons

Not a coincidence that I just finished The Company We Keep by Robert and Dayna Baer
"Eve was not taken out of Adam's head to top him, neither out of his feet to be trampled on by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected by him, and near his heart to be loved by him.”
~Matthew Henry

"Political correctness: A need to avoid stepping on toes that in reality should be blown off the foot." ~me

Last edited by kimberly; 06-30-2011 at 11:39.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:47   #789
PaladinJim
Asset

Thumbs up The Heart and the Fist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCT27 View Post
Just finished reading "The Heart and the Fist" by Eric Greitens.

Eric Greitens, a young college student at the time, wanted to help in the humanitarian effort in impoverished countries. He traveled to many third world countries to help in the humanitarian effort, and it made him realize that you can't cure the worlds problem by just having humanitarians that have 'hearts'. You need Strong Men to stand up and fight the causes of these problems. So he became a Seal Officer to 'fight' back.

Great book that shows, as Greitens mentions on the dust jacket, "sometimes you have to be strong to do good, but you also have to do good to be strong".
Just finished this one. It was fantastic. I read it because his reason for joining the military was identical to my own. It is similar in a lot of ways to Craig Mullaney's "The Unforgiving Minute". Both authors were Rhodes scholars to Oxford, committed to "fighting the world's fight." Greitens details his experience in BUD/S and Mullaney does the same for Ranger school. Both are insightful and engaging reads - I may even read them again.

I highly recommend both of these books.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:00   #790
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by akv View Post
The Eiger Sanction by Trevanian, brought to my attention by Sigaba after reading and enjoying Shibumi by the same author.
I think the guy went a little too far with the mysticism in Shibumi, but I liked that book, as well.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:14   #791
Sigaba
Area Commander

Three Days of the Egghead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I think the guy went a little too far with the mysticism in Shibumi, but I liked that book, as well.
Agreed.

If it hasn't been done all ready, some cliometrician could make a name for him/herself in the Ivory Tower by coding novels/films/comics published after World War II and then analyzing the data within the contexts of foreign affairs, U.S. domestic politics, trends within the entertainment industry, as well as the changing configuration of social relations in America.

Of course, funding institutions might get a bit upset when they find they're facilitating research that requires a Blu-Ray home theater system, a subscription to Netflix, an ocean of Diet Mountain Dew, a mountain of Doritos, and a new computer. And an iPad2. This project would definitely need one of those.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:51   #792
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaba View Post
Agreed.

If it hasn't been done all ready, some cliometrician could make a name for him/herself in the Ivory Tower by coding novels/films/comics published after World War II and then analyzing the data within the contexts of foreign affairs, U.S. domestic politics, trends within the entertainment industry, as well as the changing configuration of social relations in America.

Of course, funding institutions might get a bit upset when they find they're facilitating research that requires a Blu-Ray home theater system, a subscription to Netflix, an ocean of Diet Mountain Dew, a mountain of Doritos, and a new computer. And an iPad2. This project would definitely need one of those.
iPad4 or -5 by the time it's published...
Old 07-15-2011, 12:21   #793
Jack Dale
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Maybe I'm not getting this, but didn't the thread begin “What are you reading now...?" Not what are you reading to impress the others on this site.

Now, as a “certificated” teacher I read lots of stuff because I am always on the lookout for books that will help me teach what our students need to know. In the art (not science) of writing a big component is called voice.
“Voice shows the writer's personality.
The writing has a sound that is different from everyone else's.
It contains feelings and emotions so that it does not sound like an encyclopedia article.
The reader should be able to sense the sincerity and honesty of the writer. The writer should be writing from the heart.
The language should bring the topic to life for the reader.
The voice should be appropriate for the topic, purpose, and audience of the paper.” (Cited from kimskorner4teachertalk.com).

Dozier, I agree with you and want to make two points:

One, maybe the thread should be, "what are you reading now that you don't have to read and that's blowing your hair back?"

Two, if people are impressed by what I tell 'em I'm reading, maybe I should meet them in person to sell them waterfront property in Nevada.

That being said, a book called (sorry about the title) "Ethical Wisdom," by Mark Matousek is blowing my hair back right now because it's giving me some clues to some pretty troublesome human behavior. I started reading it because I leafed through it in a bookstore and got intrigued. It's much better than I had any right to expect and analyzes why people behave the way they do and believe the things they do. It ain't what you think. If any one wants to be impressed, OK, but I was a little embarrassed to be reading it until I wasn't.

Of course, I'm also reading "Cycle Sluts of Yosemite," but then I've always loved the classics.

There's no such thing as too much, but there is such a thing as more than you can handle at a given time.
Old 07-20-2011, 19:58   #794
Sigaba
Area Commander

Gordon S. Wood, The Purpose of the Past: Reflections on the Uses of History (New York: The Penguin Press, 2008), ISBN-13 9781594201547.

This work, by a historian of impeccable credentials, is a collection of twenty one extended review essays that were previously published between 1981 and 2007.

As Wood initially wrote the essays for a general audience (most were published either in The New York Review of Books or The New Republic), this collection may be especially useful to non-academics who may want to know why historians currently write the way they do a good overview of how the study of history has changed over the past eighty years and why.
Old 07-21-2011, 15:13   #795
Richard
Quiet Professional

Gordon S. Wood, The Idea of America: Reflections on the birth of the United States.

Essays by an eminent Historian exploring the ideological origins of the American Revolution - from ancient Rome to the Enlightenment - and the 'Founders' attempts to forge an American democracy.
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Closed Thread