Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 11-02-2004, 10:54   #1
jatx
Area Commander

Tough Situation

Okay, I am a civilian so bear with me.

I like to hike with my dog. If I were to find myself in a similar predicament, it would most likely be due to some numbskull move on my part in that context. I have never killed a small animal using a snare/my hands/an improvised tool/a lensatic compass or a space blanket, only with a firearm, slingshot or bow, so I have no perspective on how easily that can be accomplished with proper training. I also assume that 60 days of only forraging would weaken me too much to allow room for other contingencies.

So my question is - at what point would you eat the dog?

The psychological benefits of the animal's companionship are not to be underestimated. Nor is its ability to scare off/alert you of predators. OTOH, its pelt would be quite warm, the protein is attractive, and it is a veritable walking toolkit. This dog is about 50 lbs. I am also confident in my ability to properly preserve the meat in the field, so nothing will go to waste.

Don't laugh at me, my father taught me to hunt with black powder and used to take me to rendesvous on weekends, so my view of the world is a little warped.

"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:02   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

jatx,

You deserve your own thread!!!

(You've got me laughing in my coffee.)

(Don't you dare delete your post, I'm sure you will get some answers. )

The Team Sergeant

BTW, jatx, go and rent this movie tonight.

"A Boy and his Dog" you will enjoy it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072730/
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 11:24   #3
Achilles
SF Candidate

Shit jatx, I wouldn't want to be your dog!!
Old 11-02-2004, 11:47   #4
Guy
Quiet Professional

Talking Lmmfao!

Teach the dog how to hunt and hopefully it will share its kill with you...if not...

Kill the dog and eat it!

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 14:28   #5
Razor
Quiet Professional

According to the book "Undaunted Courage", the Lewis and Clark expedition ate dogs acquired from native Americans on several occasions when game was hard to find. I believe Clark even mentioned that they tasted quite good.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 18:13   #6
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Excellent thread and question! However, we need more information to give your a valid answer:
1. What breed and size of dog is it?
2. How long have you had the dog?
3. Can you even take the dog in a fight in a survival situation?
4. How would you cook the dog?
5. Will you have to justify your actions to anyone later?
6. Do you have a story as to the dog's status already prepared?
7. Do you carry dog food with you when you hike with the dog?
8. Is the dog stupid enough to fall for a ruse?

I will tell you right now you can forget about the liver and heart - parasites.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 20:00   #7
jatx
Area Commander

NDD,

1. The dog is a female Rhodesian Ridgeback. They were apparently bred to hunt mountain lions or some such, but I can only ascertain from her behavior that this was many generations ago. Her name is Lily and she's roughly 45 pounds.

2. I've had the dog for two years. She sleeps at the foot of the bed.

3. I can almost certainly take her in a fight. I'll bet I could get her in a hammer lock (she's very trusting) until she passed out, then smash her with a big rock. I'm open to other suggestions, though, if they don't violate OPSEC.

4. My plan is to make jerky. Jerky will keep a good, long time so long as it doesn't get wet. I could either hang the strips of meat to dry (well away from camp) or smoke them. My preference would be smoking, since it would be faster and pose less health risk, but I would need some good, dry hardwood that I could burn down to charcoal. The one limitation I'd have would be availability of salt to make a brine solution, but you can do without that in a pinch.

5. My ex-wife loved the dog. I'd send her some of the jerky.

6. See 5 above.

7. I do carry some dry food, usually about two pounds, which would feed her for about two weeks on reduced rations, longer if she wasn't out wandering around and burning calories. My thought here is that it would be better to avoid the dog food myself, since I don't know what it would do to my GI tract and I wouldn't want to lose precious electrolytes throwing up or with the squirts. Also, controlling the food means I control her. I don't want my "survival rations" wandering off and not coming back.

8. See 3 above.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 20:23   #8
casey
Quiet Professional

What was that whump sound.... INCOMING!!!!!!
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 20:25   #9
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Ok, I thought you were screwed until you got to #5. In your malnourished delirium, the dog will assume your ex's face. So no problem with the actual deed itself.

Two years-old shouldn't be too old for jerky. Figure about 5 pounds, ridgebacks are pretty lean. For a more complete meal, you could make pemmican, but you'll need a little fat. So be sure you don't eat the dog food, feed it to the dog. And don't wait too long.

Hope that helps.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 20:49   #10
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx
NDD,

1. The dog is a female Rhodesian Ridgeback. They were apparently bred to hunt mountain lions or some such, but I can only ascertain from her behavior that this was many generations ago. Her name is Lily and she's roughly 45 pounds.

2. I've had the dog for two years. She sleeps at the foot of the bed.

3. I can almost certainly take her in a fight. I'll bet I could get her in a hammer lock (she's very trusting) until she passed out, then smash her with a big rock. I'm open to other suggestions, though, if they don't violate OPSEC.

4. My plan is to make jerky. Jerky will keep a good, long time so long as it doesn't get wet. I could either hang the strips of meat to dry (well away from camp) or smoke them. My preference would be smoking, since it would be faster and pose less health risk, but I would need some good, dry hardwood that I could burn down to charcoal. The one limitation I'd have would be availability of salt to make a brine solution, but you can do without that in a pinch.

5. My ex-wife loved the dog. I'd send her some of the jerky.

6. See 5 above.

7. I do carry some dry food, usually about two pounds, which would feed her for about two weeks on reduced rations, longer if she wasn't out wandering around and burning calories. My thought here is that it would be better to avoid the dog food myself, since I don't know what it would do to my GI tract and I wouldn't want to lose precious electrolytes throwing up or with the squirts. Also, controlling the food means I control her. I don't want my "survival rations" wandering off and not coming back.

8. See 3 above.
Ok, We don't have to waste time debating if your a warped puppy or not. That's solved. Keep the dog, I had to face several Rhodesion Ridgebacks every time i visited Col. Applegates house on business. (more story to follow...) They are a strong and loyal breed. They are bred to hunt lions in Africa. If both of you are in starvation mode that dog can still outhunt your ass. Keep the dog.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 20:53   #11
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Thank you, God!
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 21:02   #12
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
Thank you, God!
Gods busy tonight, he sent me.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 21:04   #13
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

TS
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 21:39   #14
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harsey
ROTFLMMFAO/REPEAT/REPEAT/REPEAT...
Old 11-02-2004, 23:15   #15
vsvo
Area Commander

Re: #7

Please pardon the tangent, but this reminds me of some lore among my fellow Vietnamese immigrants. Back in 1975 we were all FOB (fresh off the boat, or C-141 Starlifter in my case). So this immigrant with a limited grasp of the English language walks into a supermarket for the first time and is suitably awed. He freaks out when he walks into the pet food aisle and starts throwing cans labeled dog food into the cart. His American sponsor is baffled because the family didn't own a dog. After much excited pointy-talky, the sponsor realizes the guy can't believe the Americans would package this delicacy so neatly and conveniently into cans. Imagine his reaction when he stumbles upon the hot dogs......oh well, so much for immigrant humor...
vsvo is offline   Reply With Quote