Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 06-14-2018, 21:44   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Cigars, who's smoking what?

Getting back into Cigars.

Have tried a few and it's like trying to find a lost love.

Anyone else partaking?
Old 06-15-2018, 05:20   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
I have 1,2, or maybe 3 a week.

Size wise, I like Robusto (6x50) or Toro (6x52) and occasionally at a big party, a Churchhill (7x50).

A 6 inch lasts about 45+ minutes, so it's a comfortable afternoon smoke with 2-3 oz whisky, couple cubes of ice OR Vodka straight up (Tito or Grey Goose) which I keep in the freezer. Out on the patio watching my Hummingbirds.

Thinner than 50 ring smokes like a cigarette, larger ring, and I get concerned it looks gay.

Wraps: Connecticut
Filler: Nicaragua
Strength: mellow to medium full

Last purchase was a Sampler,

5 – Cohiba Red Dot Robusto (5” x 49)
5 – Man O’ War Armada (6.5” x 56)
5 – Rocky Patel Decade Robusto (5” x 50)
5 – Montecristo Churchill Extra (7.5” x 50)

Did I mention I'm cheap? Yes, I love Arturo Fuente, Ashton, Padron, or any of the top of the line. But I am not the type that throws a Jackson down for a smoke.

Conditionally, I will smoke anything I am offered, I'm easy

BUTT NOT THOSE FR(*K'n. infused cigars, like Drew Estate's ACID, That shiite is just wrong on all counts )*(&^( )&*^(&*^ (*&^&^)&* ^)&^)&)*(&*

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:05   #3
Remington Raidr
Guerrilla

Mine

Hoya de Monterrey Excalibur Prensado Oscuro in the maduro wrapper, box press.
Remington Raidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:27   #4
tonyz
Area Commander

Padron has always been one of my favorite smokes - I seem to enjoy all of their products - never had a bad one if properly kept.

Monte Christo White series is a good mild smoke.

But, like many, I enjoy many types. La Finca (another Nicaraguan smoke) is an inexpensive smoke that has impressed. Hell, I’ve even smoked the cheap Parodi when working outside for weeks at a time ! I still have a few boxes of the Parodi Ammezzati 5 Toscano little turds in my humidor. But, I also have a few aged Cuban Cohiba’s in there too.

However, I have not had luck with CAO.

I agree with Hoya de Monterrey and most any Fuente.

Diamond Crown has been enjoyable.

Light ‘em up !

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Last edited by tonyz; 06-15-2018 at 06:37. Reason: Clarity
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:58   #5
tazaygul
Quiet Professional

La Gloria Cubana...Serie R...No 5 are my all time favorites. Real robust smoke. Tad on the pricey side though.
tazaygul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:27   #6
theis223
Guerrilla

I like em spicy

CAO Mx2, wrapper and filler are Maduro. This is my go-to in the boat

CAO Lx2, double ligero. <--sum bitch it TASTY

Liga Privada T-52. If you can find them, dont tell people where you got em. They never stay in stock.

And for the special occasions, Diamond Crown Maximus in churchill size.

If any of you have a bottle of Pappy's or Weller's laying around, any of these sticks pairs wonderfully well with these whiskies.
...a leader should strive to be an individual of flawless character, technical competence, and moral courage….You start with a cornerstone—honesty—and from there you build character. If you have character, that means the guy you are dealing with can trust you….Character provides a leader with a moral compass that focuses his efforts on the values we cherish: courage, honesty, selflessness, and respect for our fellow man…

SAMUEL W. FLOCA JR.
Colonel, USA, Retired

Courtesy of QP Snaquebite
theis223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 17:33   #7
adal
Quiet Professional

Padron. I've tried the others, but for consistency, they are the ones for me. Plus I get them fairly cheap locally.
Old 06-15-2018, 18:28   #8
Dean Jarvis
Quiet Professional

Romeo Y Julieta Reserva Real Toro 54x6. Very mild. Been smoking them for years.

http://bonitasmokeshop.com/premium-cigars/
Old 06-15-2018, 21:42   #9
Penn
Area Commander

https://www.famous-smoke.com/brandgroup/avo+cigars ( this company a good resource) If you get to Miami, in little cuba there area number of shops the will hand roll custom stogies for you, and then ship to you as needed.

I was an AVO fan, until the triple by-pass. Love the aroma of a good cigar. AVO are imoo, a rich, not hot smoke, great with a good scotch.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 19:57   #10
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Well I've tried Punch Rare Corojo , Cohiba Red Dot, La Aroma de Cuba and a few others. So far these three I really enjoyed. Will keep testing......
Old 06-17-2018, 19:17   #11
exsquid
Quiet Professional

Years ago I enjoyed robusto sized maduros of various brands. Don't really do cigars anymore. I enjoy pipe smoking more now than cigars. Must be an 18C thing. Pappy was always smoking when I went through MOS phase and I know Adam at the committee enjoys pipe smoking as well.

x/S
Old 06-21-2018, 10:14   #12
hardcorps
BANNED USER

For me, nothing's better than a genuine Cubano-rolled Montecristo #2 (Torpedo). I've mostly curtailed my cigar smoking (for health reasons), but if I'm in a foreign country Duty-Free store, I will pick up a Montecristo 3-pack, and happily smoke them when I'm back in the USA.
hardcorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:05   #13
rubberneck
Area Commander

It’s been 20 years since I smoked cigars religiously but back then it was Padron and Cohiba exclusively for special occasions and Uppman for casual use with a glass of Macallan of Hibiki.
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:39   #14
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

I enjoy a good stick from time to time - A Fuente, Don Pepin and Kristoffs are all consistent and excellent. I'm also a fan of Oliva Serie V and Special Blends (1 or 3, not 2) if I can find them and Leaf by Oscar.

If I'm in the mood for something new, I usually look for something in a ligero/double ligero, oscura or San Andres.

If you are looking to support a Veteran owned/operated company, Southern Draw makes some good cigars if you can find them - a list of retailers that carry them can be found on their website.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:08   #15
rsdengler
Area Commander

LOL...That reminds me of a time in the 90's when my best friend and I would visit this bar called Cancun Cantina for Happy Hour. We would always go by the counter that sold Cigars and pick out a few of the nice, thin vanilla flavored ones. We would just light up and take a few puffs and walk around with it dangling from our fingers. Not sure what the name was, but they were nice and mellow. Plus, we really looked cool...LOL...

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote