Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18D

Old 04-16-2011, 08:06   #16
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?authority View Post
Don't know about PA school, but in medical school and residency, when it really was sucking, I would remember SF and think "At least I'm warm and dry."
LMAO.
Same here. I was in my second year of residency when late one night a LtCol nurse asked me, "How are doing tonight?"
I said "Warm, dry and well fed, Ma'am"

Last edited by doctom54; 04-16-2011 at 08:09.
doctom54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:56   #17
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
Hello Gentlemen,

In 2005 Justin Barr was awarded the project for developing a work on the History of the Special Forces Medic.
First, this should be proof for anyone that if one SEARCHES first there's a good chance there is something here.

Up-front: Scimitar I don't know if the final work discussed here is new/expanded material or the re-titled version of your previous update in this thread.

I was perusing my latest e-copy of Cold War Times and read that Justin Barr's work got an Honorable Mention from the John A. Adams '71 Center for Military History and Strategic Analysis, Dept of History, VMI in their 2011 Cold War Essay contest. The essay is entitled:

"History of the Special Forces Medic and the Role of Medicine in Counterinsurgency, 1952-1975" (Justin Barr, Yale University)

I was able to ferret out Mr. Barr's email and have fired a flare, along with congratulations, asking to either get a link or copy since, if properly done, this should be rich in SF history for the period (unless the material is the same as what's already posted).
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 14:25   #18
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
I was able to ferret out Mr. Barr's email and have fired a flare, along with congratulations, asking to either get a link or copy since, if properly done, this should be rich in SF history for the period (unless the material is the same as what's already posted).
UPDATE: Mr. Barr responded to me & provided a copy of this work, which is different & takes a different approach. As the title above mentioned it examines the role of the SF Medic as a powerful weapon in the CI toolkit. It contains examples & some names/maps/pics, especially from the earliest efforts in Laos.

He has asked that, at this juncture, it not be published, cited, or quoted so I won't be uploading. (And downsized from a Word doc the thing is still a 6.3MB PDF.)

However, he welcomes input from actual SF Medics and would welcome contact from them with their views/critiques. So...

Not being remotely qualified as a broker, if one of the 18D QP's would like to PM me with their email address I will send it to you along with Mr. Barr's email address and you can eval/critique/share within your community to your heart's content. Again, he just asks that it not be published or quoted; apparently it also is not in his mind a finished work yet.
Old 05-25-2012, 13:10   #19
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Not being remotely qualified as a broker, if one of the 18D QP's would like to PM me with their email address I will send it to you along with Mr. Barr's email address and you can eval/critique/share within your community to your heart's content. Again, he just asks that it not be published or quoted; apparently it also is not in his mind a finished work yet.
The essay has been handed off to QP 'tom kelly' along with contact info for the author who is open to contact/feedback/critique, etc.
Thanks to you all for the heady times I can only read about.
Salud.