Old 11-24-2013, 20:14   #1
Schroederl1
Asset

SF average age and size

Hello,

My name is Schroeder and I am a former college football offensive lineman. I do not currently serve in an military branch. I have posted the rest of my introduction in that thread.

When I played I was 6'6 320 lbs. I have since gotten down to 250 pounds with ~15 to go till I am at army height and weight standard of 235lb for 6'6

I have searched as many threads as I can with guys who are in a similar boat as me but I am just wondering if there are any guys on ODAs or who have been successful with SFAS being the biggest guy around. I know there is a standard everyone has to meet but this is a different ball game for me and wonder of the durability of guys my size on teams or if there is anyone who could help mentor me through the process!

Thank you for all who contribute and pass along the knowledge they have and the sacrifice they make!
Schroederl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:59   #2
hotshot
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schroederl1 View Post
Hello,

My name is Schroeder and I am a former college football offensive lineman. I do not currently serve in an military branch. I have posted the rest of my introduction in that thread.

When I played I was 6'6 320 lbs. I have since gotten down to 250 pounds with ~15 to go till I am at army height and weight standard of 235lb for 6'6

I have searched as many threads as I can with guys who are in a similar boat as me but I am just wondering if there are any guys on ODAs or who have been successful with SFAS being the biggest guy around. I know there is a standard everyone has to meet but this is a different ball game for me and wonder of the durability of guys my size on teams or if there is anyone who could help mentor me through the process!

Thank you for all who contribute and pass along the knowledge they have and the sacrifice they make!
There are guys your size that do fine in SF. You won't have to work any harder than a guy that is a foot shorter trying to make a ruck march in time.

CH
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:56   #3
bubba
Quiet Professional

"It ain't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

I have seen everything from the little midget sized guy to the bean pole (like myself) to the line-backer do fine and conversly quit in the first ten minutes (or even up to the final day). Assessment is constant, don't self select.
“Use teamwork and control. A squad without teamwork and control is nothing more than a small mob with weapons. Success depends on a high level of teamwork and control within the squad.” — pg. 3-596 STP 7-11BCHM-SM-TG

“Let’s go Brandon!” — Kelli Stavast

"...I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere.” — Thomas Jefferson

When the Revolution goes “live”, the People I’m worried about, are NOT the People I worry about. — Me
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 05:57   #4
VonHawk
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba View Post
"It ain't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog."

I have seen everything from the little midget sized guy to the bean pole (like myself) to the line-backer do fine and conversly quit in the first ten minutes (or even up to the final day). Assessment is constant, don't self select.
Ditto.

An interesting side note - the Team Sergeant of one of my ODA's, in my younger years, calculated the average height/weight of our ODA (10 guys at the time). The average worked out to 6'2" and 195 pounds.
VonHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 19:29   #5
Bechorg
Quiet Professional

It may be group specific, or even battalion specific, but I have seen a trend of team guys looking to be at around 210-220 on average. It may be the effects of the Thor/Crossfit type training, but it seems like guys like walking around a little bigger these days.

I had a 275 pounder in my xray class and he ended up hurting his legs from the overuse. Carrying around a lot of unnecessary weight will hinder your upper body endurance, long range run and long range ruck movements. 6'6" frames are build differently and I wouldn't think weight would be the best metric to use, I would focus on body fat percentage and being well proportioned.
Bechorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 21:06   #6
alelks
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba View Post

Absolutely Right!

I was one of those skinny dudes also. Entering the course I weighed 125lbs, upon completion I weighed 154lbs and had HUGE calfs.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote