Old 10-15-2005, 17:45   #1
Maytime
Guerrilla

Carbon fiber AR15

Has anyone here put rounds downrange with Bushmaster's Carbon 15? The carbon fiber receivers sound like they can take some punishment, and they're not very expensive compared to AR15s with similar features (~$820--impactguns.com).
I'm trying to figure out if having a carbon fiber boom stick would be worth it, or if it's just a marketing gimmick.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/AZ-C15M4PST.html
Old 10-15-2005, 18:30   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Not sure how the current version runs, but at one time, these were among the worst performing AR-15 clones out there.

Most reports were that you would be lucky to get three consecutive rounds to function.

Bushmaster may have addressed some of these issues since acquiring the manufacturing rights.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 02:13   #3
Maytime
Guerrilla

Thank you, TR. What tipped me off was that no other manufacturer provided a carbon fiber version of the AR15, which led me to believe that if it was totally worth it to have a carbon fiber design, everyone would have one. Since Bushmaster has had reports of frequent FTFs (as per previous posts of members of this board), I'll shift fire onto more reputable companies such as RRA or Armalite.

Again, thank you TR.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:18   #4
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maytime
Thank you, TR. What tipped me off was that no other manufacturer provided a carbon fiber version of the AR15, which led me to believe that if it was totally worth it to have a carbon fiber design, everyone would have one. Since Bushmaster has had reports of frequent FTFs (as per previous posts of members of this board), I'll shift fire onto more reputable companies such as RRA or Armalite.

Again, thank you TR.

I've had no problems what so ever with my Bushy 20" A3. I now have a Briley free float tube, a mccormick drop in trigger, and an MSTN QCB muzzlebrake as well as XS Iron sights on is, but the receivers, BCG, and barrel are stock Bushy and it shoots well enough for my purposes with no malfunctions to date.

My.02, YMMV
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 17:37   #5
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Just to clarify, my rifle is a conventional aluminum receiver "XM-15" type, not a carbon composite model.

that is all
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 08:52   #6
Tubbs
Guerrilla

My friend owns a Carbon 15. It is one of the biggest pieces of junk ever. It doesn't function reliably with gov. mags, or really any mags for that matter. Then, when you find a mag that it funtions proporly with the only ammo it won't choke on after a couple of rounds is standard 5.56mm. Its even been sent back to the factory and refurbished (after the bolt carrier split in half over the course of normal range use). I'd buy one only if my other option was a high point.
Now that being said all other Bushmaster products that I have encountered are great. Bushmaster also has excellent customer service. I own a Bushmaster, its a straight up civilian legal M16A2 and I love it. It functions flawlessly and for the amount that I paid for it you won't find a better deal. And again Bushmaster has great customer service.

Last edited by Tubbs; 10-19-2005 at 08:56.
Tubbs is offline   Reply With Quote