Old 05-29-2009, 17:51   #1
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

Cambodian CIDG

CAMBODE CIDG

In 1968 when I reported to B-36 I found that it was a unique SF unit. We had Chinese Nungs and Cambodian CIDG and no Vietnamese. As a matter of fact most Sf in Vietnam were technically advisors to the LLDB and had to put up with Vietnamese calling the shots. But not B-36.

Major James “BO” Gritz was the C.O. and refused all calls for him to “Vietnamese” his unit. The lowest ranking SF soldier out ranked the Cambode Bn Commanders. Every morning, while not pulling a mission, one of us used to have to stand reveille formation. The Cambode 1st Sergeant would order “Yat” “Prun” and everyone would come to attention. They would then salute the senior officer who would then report the units status to whichever SF NCO that had the duty. After the formation was dismissed all of the cambodes would throw their right fists into the air and yell, “Tay Yu”. (A Cambode battle cry)
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 21:25   #2
mark46th
Quiet Professional

What happened in Cambodia after the US left SE Asia was horrible. Anytime I hear someone talk about how they were against the War, I ask them how they sleep at night. I ask them what made them support Pol Pot. They look at me a little funny then usually shut up. I live in Southern California. Many of the doughnut shops are owned and run by 'Bode families. I made friends with the family that runs one by my home. When Pol Pot's death was announced, I went in to tell her. The lady started to cry and said, "Yes he is dead, but we didn't get him." I have to admit it got to me and I broke down a little....
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 21:26   #3
Mike
Quiet Professional

Spent 16 months in the same A Camp.
!/3 Viets.1/3 Montagnards and 1/3 Cambodians. The border was on 2 sides of the camp.

Relations amongst the troops was pretty good in general.
The Cambodians were head and shoulders above the rest in every aspect.

B 36 spent a respectable amount o time there in late '69.

A number od US casualties and a lot of little folks as well.

Done some reading on the aftermath in that AO.

It was really ugly.
It rained so much during the fall that it was said "The Gods are crying for Phuoc Long."