Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Africa

Old 07-03-2012, 13:43   #16
T-Rock
BANNED USER

Quote:
From a political stand point, I think that more traction can be gained by focusing on behaviors rather than motivation.
Why? Why behaviors rather than what motivates them?

Last edited by T-Rock; 07-03-2012 at 13:46.
T-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:37   #17
T-Rock
BANNED USER

Quote:
Calls to Destroy Egypt’s Great Pyramids Begin

According to several reports in the Arabic media, prominent Muslim clerics have begun to call for the demolition of Egypt’s Great Pyramids—or, in the words of Saudi Sheikh Ali bin Said al-Rabi‘i, those “symbols of paganism,” which Egypt’s Salafi party has long planned to cover with wax. Most recently, Bahrain’s “Sheikh of Sunni Sheikhs” and President of National Unity, Abd al-Latif al-Mahmoud, called on Egypt’s new president, Muhammad Morsi, to “destroy the Pyramids and accomplish what the Sahabi Amr bin al-As could not.”
Source: http://frontpagemag.com/2012/raymond...-the-pyramids/

T-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:53   #18
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rock View Post
He we go again........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:33   #19
Pete
Quiet Professional

Islamist militias target Mali's ancient tombs

Islamist militias target Mali's ancient tombs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18876898

A little video from the town and a little about the religious clash.

"Islamist militias who have occupied parts of Northern Mali, are now targeting ancient tombs in the area.

Mali was once considered one of the most stable places in West Africa, however an interim government is battling with the soldiers who overthrew the previous administration in March."
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:12   #20
Pete
Quiet Professional

Timbuktu mausoleums 'destroyed'

Timbuktu mausoleums 'destroyed'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20833010

Going after the last of them.

"Islamists in Mali have begun destroying remaining mausoleums in the historic city of Timbuktu, an Islamist leader and a tourism official said.

"Not a single mausoleum will remain in Timbuktu," Abou Dardar, a leader of the Islamist group Ansar Dine, told AFP news agency................"

And

"......Timbuktu was a centre of Islamic learning from the 13th to the 17th centuries.

It is a UN World Heritage site with centuries-old shrines to Islamic saints that are revered by Sufi Muslims. ..............."

And

"..........Last Thursday the UN Security Council gave its backing for an African-led military operation to help Mali's government retake the north if no peaceful solution can be found in coming months.

A day later, Ansar Dine and the Azawad National Liberation Movement (MNLA), a Tuareg separatist group, said they were committed to finding a negotiated solution................"

Talk, talk, talk until it's too late.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote