Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > National Guard SF Groups > 19th Group

Old 03-11-2015, 09:34   #1
SC45
Asset

College While in a National Guard SF Unit?

I currently have 2 years of college completed and am considering enlisting NG vs. AD as a Rep 63/18x. My question is, is it possible/likely to finish my degree if I make it to a NG SF unit? Thanks.
SC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 10:13   #2
chance
Guerrilla Chief

Yes, I had guys with me that where doing online college while deployed.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:52   #3
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Put your college on hold until you are through all of your training.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:56   #4
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Absolutely. I went to the Q and came back did a 4-year degree. Did JCETs between semesters.
Old 03-11-2015, 18:22   #5
k-rub
Quiet Professional

Its absolutely possible. However, I disagree about doing college while on a team. Given the choice I would go back and finish college before going to selection.
k-rub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 20:02   #6
SC45
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-rub View Post
Its absolutely possible. However, I disagree about doing college while on a team. Given the choice I would go back and finish college before going to selection.
Not disagreeing/being disrespectful, but what is the difference between going to college while on a team vs working a full time job while on a team?
Old 03-11-2015, 22:41   #7
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC45 View Post
Not disagreeing/being disrespectful, but what is the difference between going to college while on a team vs working a full time job while on a team?
You can take time off from your job with short notice for weeks on end without a penalty. The ability to do the same while attending college is not the same. There were several times I was called on Friday to go to a school starting Monday for 5-7 weeks long some place where you won't have time to withdraw.

It isnt putting SF, the mission, or your Brothers firsthand in hyour example and they deserve no less.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 22:53   #8
dinatius

FWIW I've got a buddy who has already skipped two semesters just to get to SFAS. Best case scenario is that he gets to finish his 3+ more semesters before starting the Q but who knows. Another guy I know is on a team now and after the Q, Ranger School, JCETs etc he's currently on year 6 or 7 of his undergraduate. I'm certainly no expert, but based on my observations it seems like trying to do both at the same time just makes everything take longer.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:36   #9
SC45
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post
You can take time off from your job with short notice for weeks on end without a penalty. The ability to do the same while attending college is not the same. There were several times I was called on Friday to go to a school starting Monday for 5-7 weeks long some place where you won't have time to withdraw.

It isnt putting SF, the mission, or your Brothers firsthand in hyour example and they deserve no less.

Crip
Can I ask for a suggestion then? I'm halfway through college and still don't know what I want to do, career wise, besides be an SF Soldier. The last thing I want to do is spend the rest of my life behind a desk and figured joining the Guard while finishing college was my best option.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:19   #10
TOMAHAWK9521
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric View Post

Crip
Honestly, as a guard bum, the chances of getting a "you must go" school dropped in your lap while attending college are pretty slim. Yeah, I had schools presented to me while in 5/19 but if I was already obligated then I missed out and it went to someone else.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:24   #11
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMAHAWK9521 View Post
Honestly, as a guard bum, the chances of getting a "you must go" school dropped in your lap while attending college are pretty slim. Yeah, I had schools presented to me while in 5/19 but if I was already obligated then I missed out and it went to someone else.
Me too.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 19:35   #12
k-rub
Quiet Professional

More freedom of choice is a benefit to being in the Guard. I have plenty of friends and teammates going to school while serving. Many of them end up dropping courses here and there to go to a school/JCET/deployment. Others simply do the minimum Guard time to stay off the No Val Pay list.

I'm not saying it's impossible to do school and Guard SF at the same time. IMO you put yourself thru quite a bit of training to get the privilege of being on a team. If you go to school, you are limited on where and when you can deploy until you finish.

Like I said earlier, given the choice I would absolutely finish school first and then go to Selection.
Old 03-12-2015, 19:37   #13
k-rub
Quiet Professional

Plus, you already have half of your school finished. Why quit now? Finish it out first.

At a minimum you won't be able to pick back up in school for 2 years.
Old 03-12-2015, 19:52   #14
Dalik
SF Candidate

I'm doing it as we speak. If you plan your classes well- you can do both, its just going to take you longer. Get through the Q course before you get back to school! They also have a good program for SOF at Bragg with FTCC, look into it. But first you have to get there.
Old 03-12-2015, 20:27   #15
SC45
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-rub View Post
Plus, you already have half of your school finished. Why quit now? Finish it out first.

At a minimum you won't be able to pick back up in school for 2 years.
I agree with you on finishing school first but the problem is I'm still not sure what I want to do for a career. The only one thing that I know I definitely want to do is become an SF soldier. I figure once/if I finish the pipeline I will have more perspective on what I want to spend the rest of my life doing.