Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > National Guard SF Groups > 19th Group

Old 03-21-2014, 10:51   #1
swimr235
Asset

Completion of NG-SF pipeline

There are certain issues that are exclusive to reserves/national guard special operations selection courses. Work issues, family issues, financial hang ups and what not. Active duty guys are not without their own obstacles but those of us that are choosing this route, I believe in my opinion, have a certain set of issues that are exclusive to us...lets say...part timers. My question is, are there any members or admins of this forum that are or know of anyone, prior service or otherwise, that has gone through the National Guard SF pipeline, start to finish? I'd like to get their view on how things went, ins and outs, how these extrinsic situations factored into the experience and how it was handled. To clarify, I am not trying to get a "tips & strategies" outline, I'm asking due to the nature of my own current track and to compare and contrast. Thanks.

- nick
Old 03-21-2014, 11:55   #2
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

I went through as a Guardsman/REP 63. Of course, that was in 1979-80. My experiences probably would not be of help to you. We were issued "pickle suits" at reception station.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 12:54   #3
swimr235
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperFrank View Post
I went through as a Guardsman/REP 63. Of course, that was in 1979-80. My experiences probably would not be of help to you. We were issued "pickle suits" at reception station.
It is....slight dated. But only just... How was it though? as a NGman?
Old 03-21-2014, 13:00   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Nick

There are several 20th SFG here with all fashion of stories of how they earned their tab. Including this FOG from the early 70t's, but that's not going to help you.

As your profile say South Florida, I would suggest you dig around here, find the POC for the 3/20th at Blanding and do some face time with the recruiting staff.

The clock is running, don't waste time, Good Luck.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 13:07   #5
swimr235
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Nick

There are several 20th SFG here with all fashion of stories of how they earned their tab. Including this FOG from the early 70t's, but that's not going to help you.

As your profile say South Florida, I would suggest you dig around here, find the POC for the 3/20th at Blanding and do some face time with the recruiting staff.

The clock is running, don't waste time, Good Luck.
I have some numbers that I can call. Ill start there. Nice quote...gaelic right? I've read it before somewhere else...I think in a pub down here or Key West.
Old 03-21-2014, 13:16   #6
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimr235 View Post
I've read it before somewhere else...I think in a pub down here or Key West.
Maybe KW, I have been a frequent visitor for 47 yrs, and lived there for 17 yrs.. There are several drinking establishments, including Irish Kevin's, that I actively supported,, frequently..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 13:23   #7
swimr235
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Maybe KW, I have been a frequent visitor for 47 yrs, and lived there for 17 yrs.. There are several drinking establishments, including Irish Kevin's, that I actively supported,, frequently..

Its a short drive for me, 2+ hours, just had a 3 week AT down there and had my wife and 6 month old come down for valentines. Had a good time. There is one pub that has probably the best wings I've ever eaten, Finnegans Wake, I believe. Some good dark irish beers on tap as well.
Old 03-21-2014, 21:30   #8
koz
Quiet Professional

If you go as a Rep 63, you will become "active" until you finish the course or wash out.

If I remember correctly, if you are not a rep 63, once you start the Q-course, you'll stay until the end. Or at least that's how the NG guys in my class did.

Last edited by koz; 03-21-2014 at 21:33.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 21:52   #9
VVVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by koz View Post
If you go as a Rep 63, you will become "active" until you finish the course or wash out.

If I remember correctly, if you are not a rep 63, once you start the Q-course, you'll stay until the end. Or at least that's how the NG guys in my class did.
REP-63 is a law (enlistment contract) that allows someone to enlist (off the street) in the ARNG or USAR and begin drilling, and accumulating TIS before going on AD for training. It is not SF specific.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:44   #10
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

SWMR263, I will say this about my experiences at the Q course, circa 1979-80 time frame. The only time the army made an issue out of being Guard/Reserve was at OSUT. My OSUT experience was a miserable one. That being said, once I got to airborne school, the game changed. The instructors were professional and everything I expected the army to be. Once I hit Ft. Bragg, the pre-phase courses were taught by SGM Nail's team from 5th Group, they were mostly Vietnam vets and once again outstanding instructors. The Q Course was one of the defining moments of my life. The leadership included people like COL Ola Mize, a soldier's soldier and MOH recipient. During my time at the Q, I made lifetime friends, grew up a whole lot and learned invaluable lifetime lessons. When it was over, I didn't want to go home.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:01   #11
mark46th
Quiet Professional

"were taught by SGM Nail's team from 5th Group" T Frank

SGM Nails was one of my Phase I instructors in February of 1971, although I believe he was an SSG or SFC at the time....Good times.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:43   #12
18C4V
Quiet Professional

You're greatest source of info will be the members of the training detachment from the NG unit that sends you. Every NG SF State seems to have the same common theme (pay issues, promotion issues) but there are some issues that's unique then others.

For example for me I did a PCS move to the SFQC pre 9-11. When 9-11 happened, every NG SF soldier was mobilized and was sent on TCS orders (they got thier BAH for thier HOR) while I and the unlucky few received BAH for Bragg vs our HOR.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:03   #13
MR2
Quiet Professional

For me it was 1SGT Nail at Phase I in 1975. SGM Nail at Phase III in 1976. And PFC Nail at the 'O' course in 1980. Him and that damn wooden eye. Great respect for the man.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil

Last edited by MR2; 03-23-2014 at 17:11.
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 21:46   #14
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

SGM Nail was harder than woodpecker lips. I ran into him again when I attended SERE school in 1991. He was moving around those obstacles like a man half his age. At the time, he was minus a number of body parts. Needless to say, I was impressed.
Old 03-23-2014, 23:28   #15
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperFrank View Post
SGM Nail was harder than woodpecker lips. I ran into him again when I attended SERE school in 1991. He was moving around those obstacles like a man half his age. At the time, he was minus a number of body parts. Needless to say, I was impressed.
He was still demonstrating the obstacle course in 2000 and awed a couple of us...

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote