Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 10-20-2020, 22:57   #1
mojaveman
Area Commander

Marine general relieved of command over racial slur

MG Stephen M. Neary, the commander of U.S. Marines in Europe and Africa, was relieved of command Monday amid an investigation into his alleged use of a racial slur in August.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/marine-ge...ng-racial-slur
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:11   #2
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
MG Stephen M. Neary, the commander of U.S. Marines in Europe and Africa, was relieved of command Monday amid an investigation into his alleged use of a racial slur in August.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/marine-ge...ng-racial-slur
"...music was playing during a training session that had lyrics with the N-word, and Leary asked the junior Marines how they would feel if he used the word."

I reckon he got his answer.

Its a shame that a guy that seems to actually know the difference between shit and shinola is also cursed with one of the worst cases of poor situational awareness in the last 20 years. Let's take a deep breath, relax, and take a step back to get a better look at the situation:

-American cities in flames because a criminal drug abuser died during an arrest
-American cities in flames because a violent marxist organization has been emboldened by the overt support of democratic party leaders
-American cities in flames because statues are offensive and racist
-The democratic candidates for President and Vice-President have repeatedly stated their positions that the USA is guilty of systemic racism
-Papa-Mother-Fucking-John was fired from Papa Johns for the EXACT SAME THING

...Papa John bitches
Papa Johns fired Papa-Mother-Fucking-John for doing this exact same thing - yes I said it twice because its that unbelievable. The only way these two incidents could be any more closely related would be for us to find out that this Generals name was Actually, Maj. Gen. Stephen United States Marine Corps Neary. It even makes me wonder if the good general owned a Camaro when he was younger...

Please lets not act surprised that a GO in the modern and all inclusive US military, dripping with its virtuous diversity was suddenly shit-canned for using the absolute Tier-1 racial slur to dress down a group of racial minority Marines.

An upsetting sign of the times?
Yes indeed.

Another example of the hypocrisy of social justice?
You bet-cha.

A surprise?
...well, it surprised him didn't it.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 10-21-2020 at 07:26.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 14:06   #3
PRB
Quiet Professional

"...music was playing during a training session that had lyrics with the N-word, and Leary asked the junior Marines how they would feel if he used the word."

^^^ if that is all there is to it the guy that relieved him should be relieved.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 14:22   #4
Box
Quiet Professional

I cant help but wonder where the enlisted leadership was during this debacle.

This evolution has no winners at all.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

Old 10-21-2020, 15:59   #5
PRB
Quiet Professional

The/a SGM in the Marine Corps has nothing like the status and authority with the Officer corps as they do in the Army...I say this from observed events.

Also, I didn't go with the General all day everyday....we often split up for events etc.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:44   #6
Swoop
Quiet Professional

Apparently it’s not offensive if I’ am an aspiring rapper and I am profiting from using it in my rap lyrics professing my trials and tribulations and my WAP......but as soon as a non-rapping Caucasian utters the N-word in any context; well it “triggers” the shit out of some. The said offender then needs to be fired and pay appropriate restitution.
Swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:41   #7
Box
Quiet Professional

We are rarely joined at the hip with our commanders - I get that - but there is a Squad Leader, Platoon Sgt, and First Sergeant as well as a cast of subordinate company grade officers that should have "seen something-said something" and they are all guilty of letting this behavior flourish - leadership culture and all that jazz.

This wasn't in the squad bay or at some obscure out of the way spot on the installation - it was on the parade field outside Marine Corps Forces Europe and Africa headquarters and somehow NONE of the subordinate leadership saw anything wrong - or found reason to make any on the spot corrections. I just cant wrap my head around the possibility that this was the first time such an event had transpired and a GO was the ONLY person that saw anything wrong with the situation. Maybe it is a cast of misfits and the the GO is the only one trying to make a difference.

Where was the 'Gunny' that should have telling these fine young Marines to turn the music down down or take that shit somewhere else? What happened to the days when an officer would grab the nearest NCO and say, get that shit squared away right now !!

My broader concern is wondering exactly how it was that a USMC General Officer seemed to be the one needing to mentor junior enlisted troops. From my foxhole, it looks like a machine that is is sore need of maintenance - again - command climate and all that jazz. Maybe its possible that this general was deserving of his fate - but maybe he wasn't. Maybe he is a toxic leader that never had the respect of his subordinates to begin with and they were just lying in wait for the day that he eventually shot himself in the foot. Maybe he is a true beleiver in standards and these Marines are just a bunch of shit bags that used the system to smear a good man - I'd love to get all of the details but that is never going to happen.

-Does America need to worry that a GO is no longer capable of providing a culture check?
Are we REALLY at a point where a Lance Corporal can declare to a media outlet that is wasn't ok primarily because the officer was white?

The command knew about it and didn't fire the GO until the incident was elevated to the stars and Stripes - is this article letting us know that only black officers are now permitted to conduct on-the-spot corrections of minority troops?
Is this article letting us know that the media is now holding additional input on our leadership policies?

Is it possible that this GO just a dismal example of senior leaders with poor SA because they are out of touch with 'the times' - and if that is the case - we may have much deeper problems than people are willing to admit.

I'm sure there is a perfectly reasonable explanation to all of this - surely a white general officer would never use such a word in with malice in his heart. Surely our young Marines are not so tender hearted that they are incapable of having a tough adult discussion that uses tough adult words?

Are we really at a point in society where our first amendment freedoms are meted out based on skin color?
If so - Maj. Gen. Neary should already be considered guilty as charged for not understanding his operational environment.
...and the rest of us better put on some soft soled shoes to prepare for a lifetime of walking on eggshells.

I also want to start seeing people of color getting fired from their jobs for using words like "mayonnaise" and "cracker"
If American culture has become so fragile and tender that we need to swap out our bottle of pancake syrup for something less offensive, then I'd say it's time to rename our condiments and hors d'oeuvres as well so that we don't offend anyone.
...unless we are saying that being offended is based on the context of skin color

Or we could just stop pretending that this is really about equality and diversity and start calling it what it is - hypocritical media driven cultural censorship.

Just my two cents

Last edited by Box; 10-22-2020 at 08:25.
Old 10-22-2020, 08:22   #8
Wagbag
Quiet Professional

Wasn't there but I'd bet a case of beer tons of low-mid level leadership saw it and "knew better" than to say anything. That GO (wrongly) thought he had the wasta to say something and come out unscathed. Hell, I'd bet another case that most if not all of those he was correcting didn't have anything wrong with it and that someone else preemptively filed a complaint on their behalf.

Yes, things are that fucked up.
Wagbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:27   #9
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Kyle Larson (Asian American) got reinstated or is that “permitted” to drive in NASCAR sanctioned events (next year) after using the N-word to his white spotter about a white driver in a virtual race that had caused him to crash his virtual car. For that he was banned from racing virtual cars and later the real deal costing him millions I’m sure.

While he’s allowed to return it is unclear who he will drive for or who will sponsor him.

Maybe Tiger Woods should help a Brother out. Just saying for a friend.

The General should asked to be court martial’d so he can drag as many people down with him. “Your honor or members of the jury, I ask you say the word in a less offensive way to educate me on its entire legal meaning and context.”

The “accusers” should all be made available to testify during the trial. The song writer should be subpoenaed to explain the history and use of the word and why it’s considered appropriate for use over public airwaves for all to hear even if they find it offensive to be heard.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)

Last edited by Old Dog New Trick; 10-22-2020 at 08:32.
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:17   #10
PRB
Quiet Professional

A training session? Who plays music at a training event? I don't have any faith in the story line.... some other event was taking place at the time.
Old 10-22-2020, 13:22   #11
bblhead672
Area Commander

The Few, Proud, Snowflakes...
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 08:10   #12
JimP
Quiet Professional

ODNT...therein lays the perfidy of how "they" get you: you do NOT have the ability to demand a court-martial. They get you administratively. In the Command ranks, it's simple: "I've lost trust and confidence in the leadership of X." Done. Gone. He wasn't being offered anything he could rebut. This is the tactic of a spineless and morally bereft "leader' who is following popular culture in trying to demonstrate how woke he is by firing a subordinate who was merely trying to enforce standards.

A white men - in the current environment - may NEVER....EVER...utter the "n-word" under any circumstances. I applaud the good general but he was situationally unaware that his intentions to improve race relations by removing offensive, vile language in the workplace would protect him against his skin tone, and white privilege.

We're freaking doomed. The Chinese paratroopers really don't care how "woke" our formations are; they really don't care how "gender neutral" our Army Combat Fitness test is; they don't care that we must - at all cost - up the amount of diversity within the ranks.

While they train, we sit in classes on how to be inclusive and non-offensive to everyone. They harden themselves, and we force our troops into listening sessions to allow them to express snow-flaky perceptions. They master their weapons while we link our DEOMI with the Southern Poverty law Center to show how horrible our white patriarchy is and that we need to be more socially conscious, and responsive to global warming.

We are freaking doomed.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 22:07   #13
Intel NCO
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
A training session? Who plays music at a training event? I don't have any faith in the story line.... some other event was taking place at the time.
In IET land sometimes we bring out a UE Boom and play some music for the new Soldiers when doing a workout. Helps keep them engaged and makes PT a more positive experience instead of just some SSG smoking the crap out of the kids for an hour.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:42   #14
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel NCO View Post
Helps keep them engaged and makes PT a more positive experience instead of just some SSG smoking the crap out of the kids for an hour.
We used to be mentored to "stay engaged" by running for miles & singing cadence.

I saw a Twitter comment recently somewhere that what's being done to western culture is akin to torching a failing business for the insurance money. And, sadly, the people are some of the employees still in the building when it goes up.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:04   #15
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel NCO View Post
In IET land sometimes we bring out a UE Boom and play some music for the new Soldiers when doing a workout. Helps keep them engaged and makes PT a more positive experience instead of just some SSG smoking the crap out of the kids for an hour.
Here's your sign!

This is just wrong on every level!