Old 08-29-2013, 11:52   #1
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Tabata workout

I'm curious if anyone has utilized the Tabata idea, especially in a Crossfit-type program. I'm just finishing up another program, and I'm trying to get a regimen that I can pair with running that will work everything in a functional manner without being too much of a time crunch. Also, interested in what type of gear you used.

Thanks
Craig

ETA: Here is a link to a video which makes this look like a really efficient workout. http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/work...T-Together/et/

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales

Last edited by craigepo; 08-29-2013 at 13:46.
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:49   #2
Cuba
Asset

We actually use the Tabata program quite a bit at the CrossFit gym that I go to. Here is the last Tabata work out we did.

We started off with a 1 mile run

They broke it into 4 minute round, each minute dedicated to a certain exercise

It was 1 minute Push Ups 20 second high intensity, 10 second rest

Next minute was 1 Minute Box Jumps 20 seconds high intensity, 10 second rest

Next minute Pull ups 20 seconds high intensity, 10 second rest

Next Minute Burpees 20 seconds high intensity, 10 second rest

Total 4 minutes

Run 800 Meters

Then repeat Tabata, finish off again 1 mile run.

In a nutshell in those 20 seconds do as many reps with as much intensity as possible.

We've mixed up the Tabata before with Kettlebell Swings, Tire Flips, Deadlifts, Squats etc. I hope this helps.
Cuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 14:12   #3
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

We do this at work all the time. The program we use are based on the 1-minute rotation (20-seconds work, 10-seconds rest, repeat X2.) Usually incorporate seven to ten exercises with or without an apparatus or other equipment. With a 400m run or incline treadmill at 5mph between sets. Sets are repeated three to five times depending on available time but usually last an hour or less. It can be a smoker!

There a few good "Tabata Timer" apps for iPhone. We have a nice big digital clock timer that keeps us on track.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:48   #4
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
We do this at work all the time. The program we use are based on the 1-minute rotation (20-seconds work, 10-seconds rest, repeat X2.) Usually incorporate seven to ten exercises with or without an apparatus or other equipment. With a 400m run or incline treadmill at 5mph between sets. Sets are repeated three to five times depending on available time but usually last an hour or less. It can be a smoker!

There a few good "Tabata Timer" apps for iPhone. We have a nice big digital clock timer that keeps us on track.
Thanks for the G2. The tabata timer app is a great piece of gear. Cost about $3.00, works like a charm.

This tabata stuff is the real deal. I've been using some stuff around the farm, sledgehammer and a railroad tie, as well as one of those chin up/dip/pushup/ab stands. Brutal workout. I'm wearing a heart rate monitor, and find the tabata workouts do a great job of maxing out the heart rate, in addition to whatever muscle groups you're hitting.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:44   #5
DontPanic

The whole point of Tabata is to increase VO2 max and anaerobic capacity; a bastardization of tabata is what you typically get in CrossFit gyms. Think of it like this - you need to be moving as fast a humanly possible and sucking wind like your going to die in order to reap the benefits. Think heavy power snatches, or running with a weighted vest on a steeply inclined treadmill.

Here is a link to the abstract of the original study
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8897392

Note where it says - 170% of VO2 Max.

If you just want to do some kind of interval training go for it; a minute on minute off is good. Tabata's 20sec on 10sec off is not some magic recipe for fitness unless your doing it as intended.

Good luck.

Last edited by DontPanic; 01-07-2014 at 11:50.
Old 09-02-2015, 22:17   #6
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Now that is a brutal Tabata workout!

Develop massive strength first, then you'll really be able to train your endurance.

http://youtu.be/2zIp1zYTTTg
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:36   #7
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratefulCitizen View Post
Now that is a brutal Tabata workout!
Note the SF banner on the wall.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 15:20   #8
Fozzie
Asset

I use tabata 3 times a week for my kettlebells training. It's normally a 10 min session with 1 min on 30 sec off. I do double bells for lunges, squats, squat press, overhead squat etc. I find it's improved my strength and my running is easier. It's a good way to blast out some exercises before work.
Fozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 22:10   #9
Jerry4463
Asset

I have used it with running/sprinting, rowing, and biking, as well as kettlebell swings and jump squats. The jump squats are particularly brutal, but I have gotten great results every time I've used the Tabata method.
Jerry4463 is offline   Reply With Quote