Old 08-17-2010, 07:00   #1
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
In The Navy...

Because of this:

Quote:
http://www.military.com/news/article...y.html?wh=news

Ashland Returns With a Pirate Story, August 16, 2010, Virginian-Pilot

It wasn't cannon fire that alerted the Ashland's crew on April 10 that they were under attack by suspected Somali pirates.

Nor was it a major explosion that burst through the early morning hours that day, said Petty Officer 2nd Class Justin Myers, a gunner's mate.

"We heard bullets clinking on the side of the ship," Myers said. "My first thought was, 'This is what I've been training for.' It was a reality check. This really happens."

Myers and the rest of the Ashland's 291-member crew celebrated their homecoming Sunday when the amphibious dock landing ship returned to its port at Joint Expeditionary Base Little Creek in Virginia Beach.

And did they have a tale to tell.

We have this:

Quote:

http://www.military.com/news/article...=1186032325324

Navy Testing Two New Camo Uniforms, August 10, 2010, Military.com|by
Christian Lowe, NWU-TypeII-IIIlarge.jpg

The Navy is set to field two new camouflage uniforms next year, just months after the last of the fleet will be issued the service’s newest pixel-pattern, blue-and-grey “Navy Working Uniform.”

Navy officials announced late last year they would provide a service-specific camouflage pattern to the ever-growing number of Sailors supporting operations in combat environments, recognizing the bright colors of their newest at-sea uniform were inappropriate for anything other than shipboard operations.

“In 2006, the [Chief of Naval Operations] saw the need to improve the tactical uniforms,” said Lt. Cmdr. Chris Neish, a top gear buyer for the Naval Expeditionary Programs office. “The rationale was to provide a uniform to address the needs of the battlefield today.”

In the future, all Navy personal with be inviable while on Shore Leave... Part of the Navy's "Don't See,, Can't Find" Special Warfare Doctrine

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:13   #2
Richard
Quiet Professional

Maybe it's more because of this:

Quote:
Currently, more than 4,500 U.S. Navy personnel are deployed to Afghanistan, with approximately 1,500 of those Sailors in country as individual augmentees.

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=52410
Or not - after all, it is the USN.

And so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:16   #3
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Then it must be very effective??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:20   #4
T-Rock
BANNED USER

Quote:
Then it must be very effective??
Hey now ….Sailors need better camouflage to hide from the LPO’s & Chiefs gotta escape those paint chipping details somehow On the dark side, if they fall overboard they’ll blend in with the ocean…
T-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:28   #5
SF-TX
Quiet Professional

If you needed more proof that the Somali pirates that attacked the Ashland aren't too bright:

Quote:
...They have claimed they were ferrying refugees from Somalia to Yemen when they became lost at sea, and fired at the Ashland to get its attention.

http://www.military.com/news/article...y.html?wh=news

I hold it as a principle that the duration of peace is in direct proportion to the slaughter you inflict on the enemy. –Gen. Mikhail Skobelev
SF-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:57   #6
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Ships are gray . . . wanna hide? Wear gray.
Oceans are blue . . . wanna drown? Wear blue.

I've seen these uniforms at Scott AFB (TRANSCOM) Navy personnel seem, sorta embarrassed. They look (to me) ridiculous. I think the Popeye look is cool.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 14:24   #7
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Chortle!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mchalesnavy.jpg (37.0 KB, 22 views)
Lazy Bob Ranch

Last edited by Utah Bob; 08-17-2010 at 14:32.
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 14:39   #8
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Bob View Post
Chortle!
I think UB means "giggle"! That's Officers for you,always using big words when they could use little ones..................

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 08-17-2010 at 14:43.
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 18:34   #9
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
I think UB means "giggle"! That's Officers for you,always using big words when they could use little ones..................

Big Teddy
More like a gleeful chuckle.
I only giggle when drunk.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote