Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 1st Special Forces Group

Old 11-23-2004, 22:00   #1
frostfire
Area Commander

Question language training for 1st group

http://www.groups.sfahq.com/1st/area...onsibility.htm
When assigned to the 1st group, does language training such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean come standard/mandatory or does it depend on DLAB score?

Also, does ethnicity play any role in group assignment?

Thanks
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 22:17   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire
http://www.groups.sfahq.com/1st/area...onsibility.htm
When assigned to the 1st group, does language training such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean come standard/mandatory or does it depend on DLAB score?

Also, does ethnicity play any role in group assignment?

Thanks
Language training is initially provided in Phase V of the SFQC. Difficulty of languages offered may depend on your DLAB score and affect your Group assignment.

Groups have their own language sustainment programs.

SF soldiers receive language pay, which is higher for more difficult languages and higher proficiency.

Ethnicity would normally only play a part if a language is involved.

Good luck.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 23:02   #3
Go For Broke
Quiet Professional

Language Scores

Took a small trip out to 1st Group recently (16 - 20 May)...was able to talk to the language manager have some good news and some bad news.

Good news is that the DLPT scores for CM are good...some guys are missing a 2 by one (1) question...in a CAT IV language...that is a tonal language with thousands of characters to represent words...not exactly the katakana / hiragana / hangul model. Congrats!

Now for the bad news...the Chain of Command is right there to observe the fine young gentlemen studying CM ...so if you are one of them, or will be one of them...remember that you are being assessed even there...

COL T. seems to take an interest...

On another note...the Language Lab does have SH 21-76 translated into Bahasa Indonesia, Tagalog, Kurdish, Iraqi Arabic, Dari, MSA, and working on a copy in Thai...use it...I find it a great reference even now to be able to learn the "unimportant words and subjects" that I was not taught like Raid, Ambush, Reconnaissance, etc...

V/R,
Go For Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 16:51   #4
sleepyhead4
Quiet Professional

I don't know about how language training and sustainment works in 1st Group, but there's been some changes to language training at SWC.

The current Q Course has language training throughout the course following selection. This new training is a bit more difficult to learn the harder languages because you can go for months without reinforcing what you've learned. It also has an accelerated learning timeline which can be a bit overwhelming. However, majority of the language block is still after your MOS phase, prior to Sage.

Sleepy

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun" Bruce Campbell a.k.a Ash
sleepyhead4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 16:58   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead4
I don't know about how language training and sustainment works in 1st Group, but there's been some changes to language training at SWC.

The current Q Course has language training throughout the course following selection. This new training is a bit more difficult to learn the harder languages because you can go for months without reinforcing what you've learned. It also has an accelerated learning timeline which can be a bit overwhelming. However, majority of the language block is still after your MOS phase, prior to Sage.

Sleepy
Well, Sleepy, thanks for the annual revival of this necropost.

We are well aware of the changes to the language training program since the question was answered initially in 2004.

A little reading of recent posts here will reveal that we have covered that adequately.

Thank you.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 02-18-2007, 09:17   #6
deanwells
Quiet Professional

No Changes to Language requirements at 1st

Gents,
If you are in the course and taking a language, it does not matter how the Q is structured for Language training. Col W. has made it very clear that you will at a minimum maintain a 1-1 in your target language. If you are taking a language that is spoken in Fayetteville say like Korean...then you better go out and find a new friend in that target language. We all know that the current program in place is ideal for everyday use in the target country, not so ideal for the DLPT...I recommend self-study because it's part of your job along with all the other mission critical skills that are not taught in the current day Q.
It can be done with some initative and motivation. I am confident that if you apply yourself...you can attain it. Tudoring is still provided after school is it not? I recommend it.

Sleepy since you are a native speaker in Korean why don't you test out and skip language school???

DW

Last edited by deanwells; 02-18-2007 at 09:20.
deanwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:35   #7
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwells
...Sleepy since you are a native speaker in Korean why don't you test out and skip language school???
Sure wish I could test out of phrench...

I had a couple Spanish speakers in my PH-II class and both wanting 7th Group of course; they ended up in 5th Group speaking Farsi. Neither took the DLPT before SFAS though. I would take the DLPT, if you havent already, as soon as you can so you have a rating when you get to SFAS. This will increase your chances of getting 1st Group.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 02-18-2007 at 11:22. Reason: Clarification
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:28   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric
Sure wish I could test out of phrench...

I had a couple native Spanish speakers in my PH-II class, both had DLPT scores of 2+2+ prior to coming to SFAS wanting 7th Group of course and ended up in 5th Group speaking Farsi. Good luck with your desire to go to 1st Group.

Crip
Crip:

Korean is a harder language and there are a lot fewer in the Army and in SF than Spanish speakers. There is also a lot less concern about making a unit an ethnically imbalanced one since their numbers are much lower.

I would wager that half of the Hispanic, native Spanish speakers in SF are not in 7th Group. OTOH, I believe that most native Korean speakers in SF are in 1st.

TR

Old 02-18-2007, 11:08   #9
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Crip:

Korean is a harder language and there are a lot fewer in the Army and in SF than Spanish speakers. There is also a lot less concern about making a unit an ethnically imbalanced one since their numbers are much lower.

TR
I guess I am having one of those days where I didnt quite get my thought into words well enough to convey said thought.

I totally agree with everything you said Sir and didnt mean my post to read otherwise.

Crip

Old 02-18-2007, 11:18   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surgicalcric
I guess I am having one of those days where I didnt quite get my thought into words well enough to convey said thought.

I totally agree with everything you said Sir and didnt mean my post to read otherwise.

Crip
Don't be a suck-up, Crip.

Cowboy up and argue if you believe in your statements. After all, you are currently in the pipeline and have vastly more experience in that than I ever did.

TR

Old 02-18-2007, 11:32   #11
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Don't be a suck-up, Crip.
Yeah; because I am so good at it. There are quite a few TAC's here at Dco who would argue the opposite Sir.

Quote:
...After all, you are currently in the pipeline and have vastly more experience in that than I ever did.

TR
Ouch.

Oh I love to argue but it truly was that I was typing faster than I was thinking and didnt convey my thought well, on this occassion.

I edited my previous to hopefully clarify what I didnt seem to the first time.

Crip

Old 02-18-2007, 11:48   #12
BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

language training for 1st group

TR has a TO&E or TAD slot been established for SR. STUDENT?? CRIP has got to be first at something.

BMT
Old 02-18-2007, 19:56   #13
sleepyhead4
Quiet Professional

I apologize for being a retard and not reading the date on the previous posts. Situational Awareness...I can always work at it.

As for testing out...I wanted to test out but my instructor informed me that the DLPT got a lot harder since the last time I took it. Also, if I test out, then I am not guaranteed to leave Fayetteville early...just a lot of time to kill until Sage. So I'm planning to take the course and get better at my target language so that I can be more of an asset to my team as well as completing the SF Pipeline with my original SUT team. But taking the DLPT and testing out did sound tempting.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun" Bruce Campbell a.k.a Ash
sleepyhead4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:58   #14
deanwells
Quiet Professional

Sleepyhead,
The DLPT has not gotten harder for native speakers. The format has changed not the material. Besides what do you have to lose by testing out? Since you are a native speaker, Can I assume you can read and write as well?

You're instructor is right in saying that you might not leave school early, but if you're timing is right you can and will leave early. If you want to improve than go and talk to one of the language teachers at the school house, I'm sure she will be more than happy to sit down with you during lunch and help you. Find Kim Sungsangneem...She'll help you...She loves to teach.

Good luck,

DW
Old 02-20-2007, 22:53   #15
gtcrispy
Quiet Professional

Talk to the teachers and ask for the DLI vocab lists. They contain more upper level vocab that will help you expand your vocabulary that you might not know.

I just took my 2nd DLPT today. I got a 1/1+ 35/37. I think I had a 37/38 when I took it May 06'. The refresher course that we just went though helped out some though I had to wait about 3.5 weeks from the completion to now to test again. The refresher will most likely not be happening in the near future or for years to come so it will definitely take some effort to keep my score up in the future.
gtcrispy is offline   Reply With Quote