Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 05-23-2012, 08:57   #1
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

There's stupid and then there's CIA Stupid.

Central Intelligence Agency FAILURE.

This asset should have been removed from the country along with his entire family "before" the raid went down.

Someone in the Central Intelligence Agency should be flipping hamburgers at Mc Donald's instead of working at the CIA.

Pakistani doctor who helped US in bin Laden raid sentenced to prison
Published May 23, 2012
Associated Press

PESHAWAR, Pakistan – A Pakistani doctor who helped the U.S. track down Usama bin Laden was sentenced to 33 years in prison on Wednesday for conspiring against the state, officials said, a verdict that is likely to further strain the country's relationship with Washington.

Shakil Afridi ran a vaccination program for the CIA to collect DNA and verify bin Laden's presence at the compound in the town of Abbottabad where U.S. commandos killed the Al Qaeda chief last May in a unilateral raid. The operation outraged Pakistani officials, who portrayed it as an act of treachery by a supposed ally.

Senior U.S. officials have called for Afridi to be released, saying his work served Pakistani and American interests. But many Pakistani officials, especially those working for the country's powerful spy agency, do not see it that way.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05...#ixzz1vhlzR3Da
Old 05-23-2012, 09:03   #2
glebo
Quiet Professional

/\ /\ /\ /\

I can't friggin believe we threw him under the bus like that....way to support our credibility for working with us.Gee..I wonder how many other we can count on after this??

Help us out, and then we'll bail on ya...great
Old 05-23-2012, 09:17   #3
Richard
Quiet Professional

News doesn't say - nationalism, ego, or familial issues can have a strange affect on a person like this guy and he may have refused to come out or wasn't ready to come out and got caught up while preparing to do so - it's happened before.

However, if we did abandon him...

It'll be interesting to see how this one pans out.

Is ST6 on alert yet?

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:26   #4
Rumblyguts
Guerrilla

Even my wife and I who don't know squat about any kind of espionage, military action, etc. figured that the move was pretty odd.

Then the cynic in me thought:

Send in the SEALS to break him out of jail for more presidential press

I'd love to know the +/- discussed in the meeting regarding leaving that man swinging in the breeze. It just seems like common sense to pull him and family out.
Rumblyguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:03   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
News doesn't say - nationalism, ego, or familial issues can have a strange affect on a person like this guy and he may have refused to come out or wasn't ready to come out and got caught up while preparing to do so - it's happened before.

However, if we did abandon him...

It'll be interesting to see how this one pans out.

Is ST6 on alert yet?

Richard
Doesn't matter, if the Central Intelligence Agency failed to get him out or failed to convince him that the lives of him and his family would be in extreme danger then they failed.

As was already mentioned, this is now front page news, try to get another Pakistani doctor, lawyer, general, etc to assist the United States again, ain't going to happen. The Central Intelligence Agency made damn sure of that.

He should have been given a few million a house in San Francisco and a new identity.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:23   #6
Guymullins
Guerrilla Chief

When the US announced the subterfuge of using the doctor, I immediately thought that this must be payback to a double agent. Why would the US gratuitously give away a good ruse like a vaccination campaign, to simply enlighten the world as to how they operate?
Guymullins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:26   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymullins View Post
When the US announced the subterfuge of using the doctor, I immediately thought that this must be payback to a double agent. Why would the US gratuitously give away a good ruse like a vaccination campaign, to simply enlighten the world as to how they operate?
Because it's going to be in the "movie".

You can't fix stupid but you can vote it out.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:50   #8
FMF DOC
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post

Central Intelligence Agency FAILURE.

This asset should have been removed from the country along with his entire family "before" the raid went down.

Someone in the Central Intelligence Agency should be flipping hamburgers at Mc Donald's instead of working at the CIA.

Pakistani doctor who helped US in bin Laden raid sentenced to prison
Published May 23, 2012
Associated Press

PESHAWAR, Pakistan – A Pakistani doctor who helped the U.S. track down Usama bin Laden was sentenced to 33 years in prison on Wednesday for conspiring against the state, officials said, a verdict that is likely to further strain the country's relationship with Washington.

Shakil Afridi ran a vaccination program for the CIA to collect DNA and verify bin Laden's presence at the compound in the town of Abbottabad where U.S. commandos killed the Al Qaeda chief last May in a unilateral raid. The operation outraged Pakistani officials, who portrayed it as an act of treachery by a supposed ally.

Senior U.S. officials have called for Afridi to be released, saying his work served Pakistani and American interests. But many Pakistani officials, especially those working for the country's powerful spy agency, do not see it that way.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/05...#ixzz1vhlzR3Da
for conspiring against the state,

I find that line very interesting, To me that says that they knew Bin Laden was there the whole time. I realize we knew they knew, but this kind of puts it out there for the world to know. Yea we were not only harboring Bin Laden, we are making an example of the guy who helped the US lead to his capture.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:38   #9
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I just heard this on the news this morning. The doctor should have gotten all or part of the $25 million reward and safe haven. Doesn't bode well for future cooperation from someone who may be able to help the U.S.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 13:29   #10
bjm300
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMF DOC View Post
for conspiring against the state,

I find that line very interesting, To me that says that they knew Bin Laden was there the whole time. I realize we knew they knew, but this kind of puts it out there for the world to know. Yea we were not only harboring Bin Laden, we are making an example of the guy who helped the US lead to his capture.
My thoughts exactly
bjm300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 14:33   #11
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Too bad Joe Six Pack will never understand the implications.
Old 05-23-2012, 14:47   #12
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

CIA = Central Ignorant Agency......... What cults,scares the shit out of me that they are so f**ken stupid......... We have to trust them,we have no other choice...

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 15:43   #13
BOfH
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
I just heard this on the news this morning. The doctor should have gotten all or part of the $25 million reward and safe haven. Doesn't bode well for future cooperation from someone who may be able to help the U.S.
Don't forget the double agent outed on the recent AQAP bomb plot, aside from him, word has it that Saudi intelligence was involved as well. Hell, we have a hard enough time getting foreign intelligence agencies to play nice with us in their sandbox, and now we are going to throw them out of said sandbox when we score. Idiots!

ETA: http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...plot_bust.html

Last edited by BOfH; 05-23-2012 at 15:45.
BOfH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 16:22   #14
Richard
Quiet Professional

Sometimes there are reasons for 'outing' someone or letting someone 'take the fall' for someone else - all I'm sayin'...

And so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 16:56   #15
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

I smell other forces afoot here. I do not know any specifics but I ASSUME that this was some sort of post-raid "WTF" by the ISI and Paki government. Basically, a statement akin to "give us the source our we'll make your lives (even more) difficult".

I'm not saying it's right but it seems the doc was traded for something.

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote