Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 06-15-2009, 16:47   #1
ccrn
Guerrilla

Danner Desert Arcadia GTX vs Desert Arcadia Hot

Greetings folks
I was hoping to get some input on these two similar boots from people who might have worn them deployed or even CONUS.

Input from those who have a lot of time in other similar boots is appreciated too.

These boots come in a B narrow so might be the ideal solution for my very narrow foot.

The GTX comes with a gortex liner and no thinsulate. Interestingly the guy I spoke too over the phone at Danner said most of the boots they sell to deploying troops are this boot.

The Arcadia Hot does not have the gortex liner but has a wicking liner instead, and has vents in the arch area. I know the vents are supposed to keep your foot dry, but they also let water in, and in Iraq the guys who had them always had that fine power sand in their boots too.

With the hot weather boot with vents my foot is going to be cooler (stating the obvious here) but also wet everytime I have to walk through any water, marshy area etc.

With the gortex boot Im going to be a little hotter but dryer. Im not sure if this boot compares to a "winter boot" like the gortex lined boots we are typically issued. My Belleville gortex lined boots are my favorite even for rucks but get a bit heavy. They still have some life in them so maybe I dont need two pairs of gortex lined boots.

Which boot would you go with, for mucho training here, then another deployment?

Are any of you guys seeing these boots in Group or SFAS?
Thanks
Old 06-16-2009, 13:12   #2
Razor
Quiet Professional

Have you considered buying breathable membrane (e.g., Gore-Tex) over socks, so that when you step into water that is higher than the top of your boot, you can simply change your inner socks, then put on the outer Gore-Tex socks to act as a barrier between your dry inner socks and saturated boots?
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 21:47   #3
ccrn
Guerrilla

Razor
Thanks for the suggestion.

Ive heard of that though I personally havent actually seen anyone do it in any of the units Ive been in.

Im going to go ahead with the boot which will mean Ill have two gortex lined boots, then I think Ill buy a couple of the hot weather TFX versions if all goes well.

Ill look into the gortex liner though. Nothing like having another trick up ones sleeve. So far the ones I googled were gortex socks, and a liner made by the British which seems quite bulky-
Old 06-23-2009, 10:40   #4
ccrn
Guerrilla

Ok so I recieved these boots (Desert Acadia GTX) in size 12 B and I have to say they are the best made boots Ive seen to date.

They fit my very narrow foot perfect accept one thing.....the right foot toe box.

Walking around the house they feel ok but I imagine this could be a problem after 12 miles (or many more) with a lot of weight on board.

So, would you send them back and go a half size up risking having too large a boot.?

Or try to have a boot repair guy stretch the toe box out?

With the toe box still hard its hard to tell if they are just too short, or a little tightness that might stretch out after a few miles on them-

Thanks for any advice-
Old 06-23-2009, 11:59   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I hate to say I told you so, but I have repeatedly mentioned that the Danner toe boxes are narrow and problematic.

Be glad that you have a B width foot. You should try cramming a EEE width in there.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 13:14   #6
ccrn
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I hate to say I told you so, but I have repeatedly mentioned that the Danner toe boxes are narrow and problematic.

Be glad that you have a B width foot. You should try cramming a EEE width in there.

TR

Sir
Yes, Ive seen you say that before.

Since I swim in most boots I rolled the dice anyway hoping for the best.

The left boot isnt a problem. The right boot (and bigger foot) is. Long toes dont help either.

Ill send them back for a half size bigger and see if that does the trick. If not the search will continue-