Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18A

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:30   #46
Atilla
Asset

Dozer,

As far as my voice, as a non QP on this site I have found that it is better to error on the side of ingratiation rather than on the side of overstepping my bounds which you know is a lesson I learned the hard way here.

As far as the advice, I spent all semester trying to set myself up for Airborne. When the slots came down (we only got two for the whole Company) I wasn't yet contracted so I was not eligible. I then contracted and signed up for summer school and was put on the alternate list for BAC. It was only at the last moment that my Mil Science Prof. came to me with the last hour slot for Robin Sage. Given the choice of doing nothing or doing something I chose something. Believe me I do wish that I was able to do what you gentlemen suggested but I am not in charge and that is not my choice. I am just making the best out of what I got, just like most other cadets and soldiers for that matter. I can assure you that there are some more chances for me to go to Airborne and I will be doing my best to make sure that I attend possibly during winter break after fall semester.

Sorry that to this time I have not met with your approval and I apologize that I did not respond to your earlier email no excuse for that, was just busy with school and what not, that was rude and I apologize. I do value all of the advice I receive from you gents and if it was in my power, I would implement and execute your advice to the T but it isn't.

Respectfully,
Atilla

Last edited by Atilla; 05-08-2009 at 10:46.
Old 05-08-2009, 14:20   #47
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
if you have the option take Airborne school as a cadet over all other training, including Robin Sage G time. Going to ABN as a cadet will allow you to go to IOBC and straight to Ranger instead of waiting for ABN then RGR.
Just my opinion, but I did exactly that (for different reasons) and in retrospect it didn't have a signficant effect on anything. The three weeks saved seem to get eaten up quickly while waiting for follow on courses to start and finish.

FWIW, I think Atilla did the smart thing by asking a relevent question of those that likely had the experience to give a qualified answer. I still think that given the opportunity, there's much to be gained by taking the training path less traveled and acquiring skills that may be useful in the future. In the end, Atilla's training program was decided for him, but the thread may be useful to others looking for similar advice in the future. It also goes to show that there are lots of roads (and opinions) that can wind up leading to the same destination.
Old 05-09-2009, 16:31   #48
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Why do I bother? Oh well,
Atilla ref: "As far as my voice, as a non QP on this site I have found that it is better to error on the side of ingratiation rather than on the side of overstepping my bounds . . . If it were me to choose, I'd make sure I never did anything on the side of ingratiation. Have you ever noticed how similar the words ingratiate and ingratitude are?

Razor: Please don't encourage that ingratiation thing in the young.
Old 05-09-2009, 19:52   #49
Zorro
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Just my opinion, but I did exactly that (for different reasons) and in retrospect it didn't have a signficant effect on anything. The three weeks saved seem to get eaten up quickly while waiting for follow on courses to start and finish.
Razor,

I agree. The scheduling of follow on schools does not always make sense. I personally graduated IOBC in FEB of 03 and expected to start Ranger in March. I was informed I didn't have a class date until May of 03 (Month delay because of Best Ranger Competition). Instead of just pulling SDO at the LTO office for 3 months I walked over to the Mortar Leader Course and reported for the next class. I didn't have a hard (or even standby slot), I just showed up when everybody else reported and I got into the class. Did the same thing with the Sniper Employment Officer Course once I finished the Mortar Course. Long term result was that I moved straight from my rifle platoon to the mortar platoon after OIF without having to go away to a school to get qualified.

Bottom Line: You can sit around for 3 months at Benning "waiting" for Ranger or you can be a self-starter and just show up for a school and get in. It's the same reason why guys on my ODA show up at SFARATEC and SOTIC and other schools and get in when they didn't even have a slot. Be a self starter and see what comes from it.

"Proactivity is the 1st Habit of Highly Successful People."

Zorro.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:42   #50
Atilla
Asset

Zorro,

I like that advice very much. Will keep it in the tool bag for future employment.

Atilla
Old 05-10-2009, 22:28   #51
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Razor: Please don't encourage that ingratiation thing in the young.
I think its a learned behavior from previous experiences; too bad we can't go back and fix them, huh?
Old 05-11-2009, 11:00   #52
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I think its a learned behavior from previous experiences; too bad we can't go back and fix them, huh?
But we DO try. It's the least and the most we can do, I suppose.
Old 07-02-2009, 15:59   #53
Atilla
Asset

Gentlemen,

Just returned from participating in Robin Sage yesterday. I found it to be very worthwhile and I learned a great deal from the men I had the opportunity to work with. I know some of the advice i received stressed that I would not receive anything beneficial out of this training exercise, I have to humbly disagree. It helped a great deal from an ROTC perspective in reinforcing the TLP's and also quickly and efficiently drafting and briefing OPORD's. It also reinforced the idea that it doesn't matter how high speed you are the basics are what work. The SF students that I worked with reinforced that brilliance in the basics is what makes American Soldiers and especially Special Forces soldiers great. I also had the opportunity to see where the bar is and where I need to be a couple years from now to be able to live with, work with, and lead such exceptional men. This experience has proven to me that I have made the right decisions so far and that being an 18A in the future as absolutely what I want . I have no doubts and I will do everything I can to reach that end, which for now means soaking up as much leadership knowledge and technical skill as I can to be an effective PL. To the gents I worked with thank you for your example and thank you for confirming to me that I made the right decision. Next step busting my ass for accessions and getting Infantry. Viva la Pineland!
Old 07-02-2009, 21:13   #54
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Gentlemen,

Just returned from participating in Robin Sage yesterday. !
Oh Goodie! He's back.
And posting.
After reading this, I feel like I'm covered in Velvetta. The boots are a loss, save the watch!
Old 07-03-2009, 10:30   #55
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Oh Goodie! He's back.
And posting.
After reading this, I feel like I'm covered in Velvetta. The boots are a loss, save the watch!
Come on now he is still Wet behind the ears and all the sponges in TX will not dry them off........ Have the happy thought "There are a lot of flash floods in TX"

Just kidding Or NOT

We are were young and we survived to tell the tales. Who knows he may survive or be eaten in the process......Only the TAC's will know.....

He still has time to open his eyes and come out of his shell and become a Manly Man....Or Not....
Old 07-05-2009, 08:30   #56
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Come on now he is still Wet behind the ears and all the sponges in TX will not dry them off........ Have the happy thought "There are a lot of flash floods in TX"

Just kidding Or NOT

We are were young and we survived to tell the tales. Who knows he may survive or be eaten in the process......Only the TAC's will know.....

He still has time to open his eyes and come out of his shell and become a Manly Man....Or Not....
Sometimes I say to myself, "Thank goodness there was no Internet when I was a lad."
Lazy Bob Ranch
Old 07-22-2009, 01:11   #57
Atilla
Asset

I can't please everyone. I will say that I feel like my favorite part of Robin Sage was being so tired that I was sleep walking, I haven't done that on a movement since Iraq and I loved it, made me feel like I am back doing the types of things that make me feel good. Can't wait to do it as a candidate and not just a guerilla someday. Maneuvering for Airborne over winter break. Dozer sorry to disappoint but I'm still alive and unprofessionally over respecting you all again.

If anyone reading this worked with "Teddy" out there or knows how to get ahold of him PM me please.

Last edited by Atilla; 07-22-2009 at 01:15.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:19   #58
Atilla
Asset

Update: Got a slot! Airborne is locked down and in crosshairs for winter break, one more 25m target about to be downed. Hope everyone is having an eventful Fall.
Also next PFT should bust 300, last one was 290 for anyone who cares, I quit smoking and I am hoping this will boost my run time as well as my overall health.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:20   #59
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
Update: Got a slot! Airborne is locked down and in crosshairs for winter break, one more 25m target about to be downed. Hope everyone is having an eventful Fall.
Also next PFT should bust 300, last one was 290 for anyone who cares, I quit smoking and I am hoping this will boost my run time as well as my overall health.
He's back, he's back! My life is complete!! (Sell my clothes, I'm goin' to Heaven)
Atilla, there is NO way you could ever disappoint me. You ALWAYS live up to my expectations.
With any luck there will be an snow and an icestorm. Hey, it delayed the inevitable for the Phillies!

Last edited by Dozer523; 10-12-2009 at 12:23.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:23   #60
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
He's back, he's back! Atilla there is NO way you could ever disappoint me. You ALWAYS live up to my expectations. My life is complete!! (Sell my clothes, I'm goin' to Heaven)
With any luck there will be an snow and an icestorm. Hey, it delayed the inevitable for the Phillies!
See, Christmas came early this year!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Closed Thread