Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Pipeline (Special Forces Training) > 18A

Old 09-14-2009, 21:47   #16
Richard
Quiet Professional

FWIW - I once took an ODA when the DET CDR and TM SGT had been relieved by the BN CDR - a couple of hard headed ex-Ranger Bn SSGs wanted to run the Team like a squad in a Ranger Company - they left when I wouldn't allow it.

Building an 18A (5G then) is - IMO - a top to bottom and bottom to top process for everyone on the Team.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:55   #17
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

much good is said here...

It almost would seem that not much has been missed here and it hasn't. Great posts and many very good points.
Just as we no longer have the Lts as XOs we, the 18As must become team members without the old initial influences.
I just want to reinforce the become a team member. Once a person becomes a "Team Member" he tends to remain one for the rest of his career regardless of assignments.
To me the "easiest" job a Captain can have in the army is a Team Leader. Placed at the head of a highly functional unit with mostly senior NCO professionals. Just assist with keeping the goal orientation and personalities in check.
The Brain trust an 18A is provided can only be a great benefit to professional development.
Just my Zwei centavos.

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 17:58   #18
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzzz View Post
It almost would seem that not much has been missed here and it hasn't. Great posts and many very good points.
Just as we no longer have the Lts as XOs we, the 18As must become team members without the old initial influences.
I just want to reinforce the become a team member. Once a person becomes a "Team Member" he tends to remain one for the rest of his career regardless of assignments.
To me the "easiest" job a Captain can have in the army is a Team Leader. Placed at the head of a highly functional unit with mostly senior NCO professionals. Just assist with keeping the goal orientation and personalities in check.
The Brain trust an 18A is provided can only be a great benefit to professional development.
Just my Zwei centavos.
It certainly does spoil you.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 12:53   #19
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Part III Duty Description

3.A Principal Duty Title Special forces Detachment Commander
3.B SSI / MOS 18A00
3.C Detachment Commander exercises command, control, training management, tactical employment and property accountability for one Special Forces Operational Detachment "A". Commands, advises or assists up to a battalion sized indigenous force. Knows specialized military skills needed to operate in all physical environments and the cultural awareness, regional expertise, and language skills for worldwide deployments. Proficient in the entire spectrum of Special Forces operations, e.g. Direct Action, Special Forces Reconnaissance, Unconventional Warfare, Foreign Internal Defense, Counterterrorism, Psychological Operations and civil-military activitoes as part of a Joint, Combined or unilateral force, across the entire spectrum of conflict. Plans and conducts operations in denied, isolated, contested or physically sensitive areas worldwide, often as the senior US Government representative.

The above comes from a DA Form 67-8 (1SEP 79) dated July 1989.
The job description was written by a MSG assigned to DOT-D. It fit perfectly in the block.

This post may still be of use today or maybe just a historical highlight.

. . . when the dog bites, when the bee stings, when I'm feeling sad I simply remember my favorite things and then I don't feel sooooo bad.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote