Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 05-03-2009, 17:06   #1
perdurabo
Guerrilla

Civilian camp fires, covert-style

I spend a lot of time hiking and camping in the woods here in the Northwest. And of course, I encounter a lot of odd folks in these woods. I can count a dozen encounters off the top of my head that range from weird hermits to SHTF.

Aside from taking advantage of terrain, topography, and building bark/rock heat (and light) shields, are there any other techniques for reducing camp fire visual signatures, especially at night, both nearby and from afar?

Fires are nice, but they tend to attract attention, and you're usually close enough that it destroys your night vision and you can't see folks coming til they're practically on-site.

Ideas, thought, suggestions, corrective actions?
perdurabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 17:17   #2
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Claymores with tripwires.... Keeps out the unwanted visitor either human or Bear...
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 17:23   #3
perdurabo
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Claymores with tripwires.... Keeps out the unwanted visitor either human or Bear...
I dunno, they didn't stop Jesse Ventura in Predator
perdurabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 17:29   #4
Pete
Quiet Professional

Smell and noise not light

If you don't want to be found by the casual person, build a small fire with very dry wood before sundown. Eat, put it out and move a short distance just before last light. Then run a dry, dark camp.

Chances are somebody walking along in the late afternoon would smell your fire or hear you breaking wood way before you noticed them.

Again, after dark the smoke could drift a great distance based on weather conditions and wind. You make more noise at night with the wood also.

In average weather fire is a comfort item - not really needed.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 22:21   #5
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
If you don't want to be found by the casual person, build a small fire with very dry wood before sundown. Eat, put it out and move a short distance just before last light. Then run a dry, dark camp.

Chances are somebody walking along in the late afternoon would smell your fire or hear you breaking wood way before you noticed them.

Again, after dark the smoke could drift a great distance based on weather conditions and wind. You make more noise at night with the wood also.

In average weather fire is a comfort item - not really needed.

What Pete said. This is elementary stuff that can be found in any literature from the westward expansion period. (Surviving in "Indian Country".)
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 15:59   #6
Diablo Blanco
Asset

"white man build big fire, sleep far away, cold all night. Indian make small fire, sleep close, stay warm all night"

Fire keeps many animals away but attracts humans.

Several options here. You could build a dakota fire hole to reduce visible light horizontally. With the right application of a heat reflector you can stay warm all night.

If you want to stay warm and don't have a bunch of rocks to heat up try this. Dig a shallow trench the length of your body and build your fire at one end of it. Start your fire earlier in the day and burn enough wood to cover the bottom of your trench with coals. When it's time for bed, spread the coals out and cover with the dirt you excavated. It'll keep you warm all night. Be careful to use DIRT not rotted leaves and topsoil.

You can also dig a small hole about a foot or so deep next to a tree with a ventilation trough. Build a small fire in there until you get some good coals going. Let the fire burn out. Sleep leaning against the tree with your legs on either side of the trough. If you don't have a tree to lean against just use your ruck.

Be careful with the subterranean fires as you could get a root burning as an ember which can ignite into a full fire days later.
Diablo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 16:17   #7
Sten
Guerrilla Chief

Get something from here and join the 21st century of outdoor living.

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves...toves/category

- Team Sergeant

"It is a right. If they screw it up, you take it away from that individual. Not the group and not because you think you are smarter than they are."

- NousDefionsDoc
Sten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 18:12   #8
PRB
Quiet Professional

For the reasons you state and for some of my own I cannot 'enjoy' a fire at night if I'm camping by myself or with the little woman.
Cook early, daylight and eat before last light, have ready made food/snacks for later.
Use the coals, if it's very cold, for warmth by burying them where you are going to sleep...deep enough tho, easy to get 'too warm'.
Clean your site for brush tobe quiet etc if that's needed.
Always fishhook in too Lol
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 18:30   #9
wet dog

Did someone say Indian Country?

Me keep fire small, (i.e., whisper-lite, for cooking and security).

Big white man fire for when I want to get ripped on fire-water and dance around naked.

Last edited by wet dog; 09-29-2009 at 19:25.
Old 09-29-2009, 21:33   #10
BoyScout
Guerrilla

If you sleep next to or against a large boulder that's been out in the sun all day, it'll collect that day's heat and radiate it at night. Not as warm as a fire but it beats nothing.
BoyScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 14:11   #11
albeham
Quiet Professional

Being a LNT trainer, its good to see you all are thinking the right way of a camp fire.

Did I say Leave No Trace..

Fire good only when you need it..But do you need it ? You must ask ..

AL

Old 09-30-2009, 15:39   #12
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
For the reasons you state and for some of my own I cannot 'enjoy' a fire at night if I'm camping by myself or with the little woman.
Cook early, daylight and eat before last light, have ready made food/snacks for later.
Use the coals, if it's very cold, for warmth by burying them where you are going to sleep...deep enough tho, easy to get 'too warm'.
Clean your site for brush tobe quiet etc if that's needed.
Always fishhook in too Lol
What the SGM said but save the claymores, try a Bangalore Torpedo. Stand it upright and add a few branches from the indigenous vegetation. Always ensure there's a "dense" tree between you and the Bangalore.

Always fishook and place the Bangalore in the begining of the arch of the fishook.

Save the claymore for breaking contact and use the Australian peel when doing so.

Remember to clean weapons before dark as the noise of such action will carry much farther at night.

Only one boot off at a time when changing socks.

Cap off your canteen before dark.

Let us know if you need anything else....

Team Sergeant
Old 09-30-2009, 19:48   #13
SF-TX
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by wet dog View Post
Me keep fire small, (i.e., whisper-lite, for cooking and security).

Big white man fire for when I want to get ripped on fire-water and dance around naked.
LOL.

I hold it as a principle that the duration of peace is in direct proportion to the slaughter you inflict on the enemy. –Gen. Mikhail Skobelev
SF-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 20:54   #14
adal
Quiet Professional

I want to see the Australian peel with one person.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:52   #15
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I want to see a guy patrolling with a Bangalore.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote