Old 05-08-2004, 15:39   #1
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

bears

Hi,
I often meet bears when I do some land nav.They are always escaping. A good thing with bears is that it simulates the enemy, and that makes me very cautious, particulary in dense (< 20m line of sight) .When I am in a very dense place where a bear can be surprised(which is dangerous), I say some words loud.
I would be interested to know some way to defend against bears.Here in Canada pepper spray is not permitted, nor firearms (except during hunting season, and with a license).
I would like to know if it is realistic to defend myself with a knive,with proper technique, oubviously.If the blade is pointed foward the force of the collision will just throw the knife away.
I'm thinking about some ''reaction technique": right arm with the knife protected behind, left arm protecting the face.The knife against the side/back of the bear.

I though about some powder CAT A-B fire extinguisher.

Thank you.
Old 05-08-2004, 15:56   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I think that if you cannot use pepper spray or a gun, you better start practicing sprinting and climbing, or start hiking elsewhere.

There is very little chance of protecting yourself against a bear attack with a knife. A spear, maybe.

It is possible that a loud compressed air horn might scare them away, but then again, it may not, and might cause a Pavlovian response.

Good luck, bearbait.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 16:26   #3
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

BearBait-

I am sure Bill "assassin" Harsey will be along shortly to help you. I heard, well it may just be folklore, but I believe it and heard he once killed a large raccon with only ten shots. He is feared by all fur covered critters in his part of the world now. I am sure a knife would be over kill for such a wimpy animal as a Bear. Bill will know what ninja knife maneuver to use.. and if not, Smokin Joe can teach you that "knife through the palate" gungFu he tried to put off on me in the point shooting thread. LOL HAHAHAHA
Bill or Joe??? You out there? Come help this gentleman.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 16:42   #4
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Can’t have a rifle, no pepper spray, and a knife isn’t cut it. Well then in situations like these I would opt for;

a running CHAINSAW!

Hope that helps,

Team Sergeant
Old 05-08-2004, 16:56   #5
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Watch the movie "Jeremiah Johnson". BTW can you skin bahr?

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/

Last edited by QRQ 30; 05-08-2004 at 17:34.
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 16:58   #6
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
Can’t have a rifle, no pepper spray, and a knife isn’t cut it. Well then in situations like these I would opt for;

a running CHAINSAW!

Hope that helps,

Team Sergeant
2 in 1:
sound + blade. Two lines of defenses.
Old 05-08-2004, 20:01   #7
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
There is very little chance of protecting yourself against a bear attack with a knife. A spear, maybe.
Smatchet? LOL
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 20:34   #8
Sdiver
Area Commander

Just make alot of noise as you're walking through the woods. The sound of you approching should make them run off.

A Bear will attack when it's starteled and is defending its area of if you happen to come across a Mother and her Cubs. If the lader were to happen to you, then take up TR's advice and learn to run very fast and very far.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 20:52   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Sdiver
Just make alot of noise as you're walking through the woods. The sound of you approching should make them run off.

A Bear will attack when it's starteled and is defending its area of if you happen to come across a Mother and her Cubs. If the lader were to happen to you, then take up TR's advice and learn to run very fast and very far.
Or just bring a slow, fat, friend.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 05-08-2004, 21:16   #10
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
Or just bring a slow, fat, friend.

TR
ROTFLMAO

That goes along the lines of why you carry a knife while diving.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 07:48   #11
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Sdiver

How fast a furious bear can run? I thought it was too fast.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:33   #12
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Great topic and Thanks for dragging me in o great Tactical Tooth Grinder. Desert Fox, Are you facing Browns or Blacks? Somewhere in the shop I have the article for a man who has killed many bear with a knife. I'll try to find it, Ben Lilly was his name I think. TTG, someday I'll tell you about one shot kill I made on big mountain kitty at distance of 6 ft. Sometimes I can shoot well when it counts.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 08:40   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

About here is where we will insert the standard legal disclaimer that it is illegal, immoral, and mostly, just plain insane to attempt to defend yourself with a knife against the size of bears you are likely to encounter in the Canadian wilds.

I am not an attorney, or even familiar with Canadian laws, but you may want to consider the moral dilemma of whether it is better to violate a law and carry a non-lethal can of OC to be used only to defend a life, or to carry a knife which may also be illegal, to seriously injure or kill a bear while risking your own life in the same scenario.

You have a tough decision, good luck.

TR

Old 05-09-2004, 08:47   #14
Desert Fox
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Harsey
Great topic and Thanks for dragging me in o great Tactical Tooth Grinder. Desert Fox, Are you facing Browns or Blacks? Somewhere in the shop I have the article for a man who has killed many bear with a knife. I'll try to find it, Ben Lilly was his name I think. TTG, someday I'll tell you about one shot kill I made on big mountain kitty at distance of 6 ft. Sometimes I can shoot well when it counts.
Hi Sir,

I meet black bears.
Old 05-09-2004, 08:53   #15
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Desert Fox, Sorry about your dilemma with bears, not making light of it. I have an old friend (and harsey knife user) who was one of the best bear guides in Alaska back when they could still be pursued. Lesson learned is that even with big bore rifle you'd better know what your doing or leave them alone. He made an emergency shot once against a full grown charging brown, he made the kill with a single round from a .44 magnum handgun. Bear fell two paces from where he stood. Too close for comfort, Reaper called that a lucky shot but I would argue that he had the experience to help the luck a whole lot. Follow Reapers quidance. Read about Ben Lilly, Google has him.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote