Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Special Forces Fieldcraft

Old 02-07-2007, 15:50   #1
Sire24657
Asset

Poncho Liner as a sleeping bag liner?

I know that Ranger Joes has a conversion to the Poncho liner that adds a full length zipper to it; could that be used as a suitable liner to add to a sleeping bag?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.rangerjoes.com/poncho-lin...on-p-3438.html
Sire24657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 16:20   #2
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Ummm, just roll up in the Poncho Liner inside the sleeping bag - why zip it in? Waste of time and money IMHO. Your Poncho Liner, your choice though.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 16:43   #3
Pete
Quiet Professional

Toss & Turn

Just something else to get tangled up in while you toss and turn inside the bag.

Why not just tie a real poncho liner inside a poncho? If it gets that cold then just pull the combo over the bag . The combo is also available for "light work".
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 16:46   #4
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Actually they don't zip into the sleeping bag. They just zip up like a sleeping bag and act as an insert. I've had a zippered P-liner for a long time. Did it myself before they started selling them that way. It does work great with a sleeping bag and as a seperate as a light weight bag. No need for the head hole IMO. Also seen them done with velcro.

One of the secrets of staying warm in a sleeping bag is to fill all the dead space.

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 16:57   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite
Actually they don't zip into the sleeping bag. They just zip up like a sleeping bag and act as an insert. I've had a zippered P-liner for a long time. Did it myself before they started selling them that way. It does work great with a sleeping bag and as a seperate as a light weight bag. No need for the head hole IMO. Also seen them done with velcro.
Exactly, I had mine that way since 86 or so.

Great mod.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 18:30   #6
incommin
Quiet Professional

Never used a poncho liner inside a sleeping bag. I have, however, wrapped my midsection with a scarf and or put a waterproof bag over the foot section of the bag. I have also used a wool army blanket, folded in thirds, and placed in the bottom of the bag to increase insulation between me and the ground or air if on a cot.

Jim

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." [Samuel Adams]

Jim
incommin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 19:06   #7
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

I just stuff my poncho liner (woobie) inside the sleeping bag.
It works well just bunched up.
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 19:21   #8
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Eveybody's gotta have a "woobie"

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 19:35   #9
CDRODA396
Quiet Professional

The RI's told me the woobie was rated to minus 50 and I would never need anything else! I didnt even realize the Army issued sleeping bags!
Old 02-07-2007, 20:08   #10
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRODA396
The RI's told me the woobie was rated to minus 50 and I would never need anything else! I didnt even realize the Army issued sleeping bags!
Maybe with a tight spoon in effect.
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 20:18   #11
LibraryLady
Guerrilla

My favorite combo is ground tarp, wool blanket and poncho liner, all folded in half together. For those colder nights I'll add a buffalo robe between tarp and blanket.

You gotta love poncho liners! Mine is 20+ years old and still does its job.

LL
Old 02-07-2007, 20:19   #12
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite
Eveybody's gotta have a "woobie"
3 cheers for the "Woobie" !!!!!
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 20:33   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior-Mentor
Maybe with a tight spoon in effect.
Hey, we don't talk about that! What goes on in the field, stays in the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryLady
My favorite combo is ground tarp, wool blanket and poncho liner, all folded in half together. For those colder nights I'll add a buffalo robe between tarp and blanket.

You gotta love poncho liners! Mine is 20+ years old and still does its job.

LL
You were issued a buffalo robe? Holy cow, LL, when did you enlist?

Most of the time, a ground cloth, Therma-Rest, and sleeping bag is GTG, at times I will add a cotton or a fleece liner, and a tent, or a bivvy sack if precip is likely.

In the winter, I frequently fly with the fleece bag liner in my ruck, just in case.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 20:55   #14
LibraryLady
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
You were issued a buffalo robe? Holy cow, LL, when did you enlist?
You should NEVER query a Lady about her age!

I thought you were an officer and a gentleman; guess a gentleman by an Act of Congress only...

LL
Old 02-07-2007, 21:02   #15
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryLady
You should NEVER query a Lady about her age!

I thought you were an officer and a gentleman; guess a gentleman by an Act of Congress only...

LL
Good on'ya Lady, THAT WAS A RIGHTEOUS BUST!!!!