Old 10-13-2013, 12:15   #46
mugwump
Area Commander

What I'd like to do is mount some 12v auto headlights below grade pointing vertically and use those indestructible metal washroom mirrors to reflect the light where I want it to go. The mirrors are thin enough that bullets wouldn't get deflected into the lights, I think, but I'd have to test that first. Ideally I could make these things aim-able. The biggest gotcha I can think of is high winds. Any other flaws that y'all can think of?

“Klaatu barada nikto”
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 13:55   #47
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
I've done exactly this ^^^ around a small apple orchard that offers concealment too close to my home. I think your estimate of two years for the blackberry bushes filling out is spot on, mine will be that old next spring. I staked down the concertina using rebar U's and hog clipped a strand of barbed wire across the top--used widely spaced t-posts but they probably weren't needed, the blackberry canes grew fast and lent support. Be prepared for a lot of suckers popping up as far as six feet from your hedgerow. Pretty invasive but mowing controls them.
I'd love to see some pictures of how it looks now.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 16:06   #48
mugwump
Area Commander

Will do, next time I'm up there.

“Klaatu barada nikto”
mugwump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:57   #49
Richard
Quiet Professional

A man's castle...

http://www.viralnova.com/zombie-house/
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 08:53   #50
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

That is awesome Richard, only issue is what happens if there is no electricity i.e. grid down, EMP.

I am looking at something like this...http://formworksbuilding.com/. Look at the photo gallery and see some of their houses and plans, and if you are on Facebook, they have a page with a lot more pictures.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 17:18   #51
JoeyB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Tab View Post
I am looking at something like this...http://formworksbuilding.com/.
Them are very cool houses, wonder how they compare price wise to conventional builds...
Men have always differed in their capacity to stomach risk. Many shun it, preferring to live circumscribed lives. Others rise to the circumstances when community or country comes calling, shedding day-to-day identifies as shopkeepers, scholars, or farmers to stare down the cannon’s mouth. A very few seek out danger as a matter of course. John F. Ross
JoeyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 17:54   #52
Flagg
Area Commander

The biggest issue for us is with a new dog.

We lost the world's most awesome Rottweiller last year and have replaced him with a "Mastweiler". A cross between purebred Rottie and Mastiff.

A great dog so far, and he is REALLY topping out his training classes, except I think he is WAY too food motivated(probably why he has topped his training).

Our Rottie would eat a stranger before eating food from a stranger, the new dog is a bit sketchy in that regard.

Any top tips to try to get a food motivated dog to NOT eat food offered by strangers?
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 18:21   #53
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I had a Rottie that thought people showing up at the door were there to make friends with him.

When I called the kennel he came from, they said to have a friend come by the house and ring the doorbell. When I answered the door and the dog stuck his nose out, the friend should whack the dog on the nose with a rolled-up newspaper and run away.

No lie, we only had to do that twice, and that dog was ready for some payback anytime someone showed up at the door, even years later.

He probably topped out around 120 pounds, and the charge and noise he made ensured that anyone coming around out hose knew a big, pissed off dog lived there.

Maybe the answer for you is something similar, where the stranger offers food, and then whacks him with a paper (obviously with you anchoring the leash). Might make him skittish of people offering food, I would just be concerned that he become aggressive toward all strangers.

Just my .02.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 18:32   #54
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
The biggest issue for us is with a new dog.

We lost the world's most awesome Rottweiller last year and have replaced him with a "Mastweiler". A cross between purebred Rottie and Mastiff.

A great dog so far, and he is REALLY topping out his training classes, except I think he is WAY too food motivated(probably why he has topped his training).

Our Rottie would eat a stranger before eating food from a stranger, the new dog is a bit sketchy in that regard.

Any top tips to try to get a food motivated dog to NOT eat food offered by strangers?
Have you taught him not to eat "found" food on the ground or out of the trash? Basically, it just a voice command. "No" if he goes after it and, when you feed him a meal, make him sit and wait for you to give him an "OK", command. Do that with all food sources, treats or meals. When I was training my avatar dog, I even had him give me his paw before he got the OK command. Akita's are a distant cousin to Mastiffs and are a stubborn breed. I suspect the Mastiff is, too.

Good luck.

Also, check out sound (clicker) and remote (e-collar) training. We used an e-collar to train ours to not go under a barbed wire (or any) fence, without a "GO" or "OK" command.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 17:30   #55
badshot
Guerrilla Chief

Reaper that's funny but right.

Think reward/reinforce good behavior, bad behavior not fun or pleasant. For some good dogs just a word or sound in the right tone gets the message across pretty quick. After the paper thing only allow the dog near yourself and family - don't let anyone else become friendly with it.

A good professional trainer can show you how to teach your dog a command which allows him to eat. Caveat is the dog...some aren't as trainable as others. The guy (here in AZ) whom trained the Doberman Gang/AF Dogs trained me how to control/train two border terriers, not an easy endeavor.

I'm a Schnauzer fan but have had a well trained doberman from germany that was great too - too bad my german sucks
Old 01-11-2014, 18:41   #56
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Your Post

TR
Both funny and effective.

Our last Rottie was perfect for home defense. He was like a puppy to folks we invited into the house and introduced to him. Everyone else, he went wererottie.

The new one is still quite young(8 months) and trainable, but we want to be careful in how we approach training him out of accepting food from strangers.

Every meal(we're very rigid and consistent with his food...no table scraps or treats beyond ones for training) we have him in the down position sitting in front of his full food bowl, waiting for the command "go" to eat.

But he's a bit of a furry hoover for anything edible he can scrounge from the knees down.
Old 01-11-2014, 18:44   #57
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by badshot
Reaper that's funny but right.
I disagree with the newspaper method. That's a very good way to make a dog aggressive. That's why I recommend the e-collar; the punishment is administered and associated with a command word without the dog knowing who is punishing it, hence, no one to retaliate against. Plus the e-collar is adjustable in intensity.

My e-collar also has a "pager" button which causes the collar to vibrate and is associated with the "come" command. I haven't had to use the zapper in well over a year. Now that the commands are ingrained, I don't use the e-collar at all if he will always be in visual range, but my wife does since he doesn't respond to her voice as well as mine.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 01-11-2014, 18:46   #58
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Have you taught him not to eat "found" food on the ground or out of the trash? Basically, it just a voice command. "No" if he goes after it and, when you feed him a meal, make him sit and wait for you to give him an "OK", command. Do that with all food sources, treats or meals. When I was training my avatar dog, I even had him give me his paw before he got the OK command. Akita's are a distant cousin to Mastiffs and are a stubborn breed. I suspect the Mastiff is, too.

Good luck.

Also, check out sound (clicker) and remote (e-collar) training. We used an e-collar to train ours to not go under a barbed wire (or any) fence, without a "GO" or "OK" command.

Pat
Our trash can lid in the house is locked.

Very rigid and consistent feeding routine(for long term health).

Before eating at every meal he is in the down position, waiting for the "go" command to eat.

We have had success with a can of air(not a loud horn, more of a hiss), maybe we could try that with a stranger and/or stranger with a newspaper.

Training wise he's been fantastic(not nearly as stubborn as our old Rottie as a pup), but he does have a funny habit of anticipating commands.
Old 01-11-2014, 18:48   #59
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
I disagree with the newspaper method. That's a very good way to make a dog aggressive. That's why I recommend the e-collar; the punishment is administered and associated with a command word without the dog knowing who is punishing it, hence, no one to retaliate against. Plus the e-collar is adjustable in intensity.

My e-collar also has a "pager" button which causes the collar to vibrate and is associated with the "come" command. I haven't had to use the zapper in well over a year. Now that the commands are ingrained, I don't use the e-collar at all if he will always be in visual range, but my wife does since he doesn't respond to her voice as well as mine.

Pat
We ran thru 3 different E-collars for our Rottie.......they worked, we could tell, but in terms of training value it just didn't phase him.

His pain threshold was unbelievably high....he always went for positive reinforcement than negative.
Old 01-11-2014, 19:03   #60
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
...but he does have a funny habit of anticipating commands.
I know that one! I've always incorporated hand signals in my training commands since they may be out of hearing range or the noise level may be too high. Sometimes I'll just be doing menial tasks or talking to someone and make a gesture that he responds too. Most often it's reaching for something on the ground near him and he offers me his paw.

The can of air sounds interesting. I'll have to try that if I train any more dogs. At my age, and the fact that he is still young (3), I don't think I'll be training anymore puppies in the future. The scars from his paws (claws) are a constant reminder of how tough big-dog puppies can be to train. (His paws, now, are as large as the palm of my hand and he grips like shaking someones hand. ZonieDiver met him a couple of years ago and can attest to what we were dealing with. He didn't get to shake hands with him though, but we tried. )

Pat