Old 11-30-2010, 09:35   #46
cszakolczai

thanks again gentleman, silver dollar hmm... I wish I could compare that to this 5th group coin, this thing looks bigger than a silver dollar, but maybe my memory is not serving me well.

Where did you guys have coins made for each rotation? In that country or when you were back home? I've seen some of the coins coming out right now and they are getting pretty elaborate. Saw one the other day of a sword with the various group flashes enameled into the blade and handle. Pretty sure it was a 10th group one.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:39   #47
ACE844
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by cszakolczai View Post
thanks again gentleman, silver dollar hmm... I wish I could compare that to this 5th group coin, this thing looks bigger than a silver dollar, but maybe my memory is not serving me well.

Where did you guys have coins made for each rotation? In that country or when you were back home? I've seen some of the coins coming out right now and they are getting pretty elaborate. Saw one the other day of a sword with the various group flashes enameled into the blade and handle. Pretty sure it was a 10th group one.
Do you mean this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CJSOTFAPCOIN.jpg (44.6 KB, 59 views)
Old 01-05-2012, 13:06   #48
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolzerman View Post
Yeah, Most have sat in a wooden felt lined box for years. I still carry my 1st Bad Toelz coin with me everywhere though. It was gold dipped in 1991 in Turkey coming back from Provide Comfort I.
I knew I saw this someplace,I think I will do the same with my original coin,wonder what it may cost considering the value of gold now?........ I let you guys know if any of you maybe interested.......

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 16:15   #49
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

10th SFG coin?

I was given a 10th SFG coin by Paul Vukovich, who was a member of the First of the Two graduating classes. Class 1-53 graduated on 17 January 1953. I have been friends with Paul for @15 yrs. The coin he gave me belonged to a mutual friend of ours Douglas Fox who passed away @ 2005. Both Fox and Vukovich served in SF untill they retired and both men were in Vietnam in the early 1960's. The coin was given to me at Fox's burial and on 1 side of the coin is the silver Trojan horse with a lighting bolt on a green shield. The other side of the coin has the inscription Special Forces Europe across the top edge below is a green flash with 3 diagonal colored lines starting at the top left and running to the bottom right, the top color is black then the red line and the last line is yellow. In the center is the Special Forces Regimental Crest. Anyone have or seen a coin like the one described? TK
tom kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 16:34   #50
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom kelly View Post
Anyone have or seen a coin like the one described? TK
Never saw a coin like that one - but the flash didn't come into existence until 1968 when the 10th SFG (-) left Europe and moved to Fort Devens, taking the all-green 10th SFG flash with it. The green flash with the diagonally placed colors of the FRGs flag then became the SFDetEur/1-10th SFG flash and was the flash we wore in the mid-70s when I was there. It was worn by 1-10th until circa 1987 when they reverted to the original all-green 10th SFG flash.

I was sad to see it go - it made a great looking flash and wings background.

Bad Tölz was a great assignment - we used to practice UW in the 7th SFG, but we "lived" UW in 1-10th SFG.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 19:11   #51
Jefferdy
Quiet Professional

Mr. Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Bob View Post
I had no idea there were so many!
Here's mine. Getting a bit worn out after 40 years.
'Course so am I.
I was at the National Shooting Complex here in San Antonio last week and met a man, Mr. D. Blue, who showed me his coin (identical to yours) after which I showed him mine, along with my SFA Life Card (M-12876). Truly an honor to meet him!
Jefferdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 13:11   #52
MVP
Quiet Professional

Flash

As I recall the 10th SFG/ARSOFE food fight over the 1/10 flash occurred in late 1983 or early 1984 with the Bn being forced to wear the all green flash. IIRC ARSOFE continued wearing the green/stripped flash until they were rebranded as the 7th SOFE with the introduction of the Blue/stripped flash.

MVP

Last edited by MVP; 01-09-2012 at 09:22.
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 15:16   #53
Stras
Quiet Professional

ARSOFE rebranded to 7th Special Operations Support Command (Theater Army) (7th SOSC (TA)) right before the move to Stuttgart IIRC.

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 18:06   #54
Astronomy
Quiet Professional

Sorry for the necropost, but I figured I'd add some flesh to the story before all my latent memories dry up and blow away...

Quote:
As I recall the 10th SFG/ARSOFE food fight over the 1/10 flash occurred in late 1983 ...
It did indeed happen in '83, but began in early '82 with a multi-month tussle between the Det Europe Commander (COL Bill Holt) and the Devens 10th SFG Commander, COL Parrish(sic?) Davis. As 10th SFG Main Cdr, he flew into Tölz and let us know that we (1-10) worked for him. This was true in a war-trace kinda way if/when we ever joined up the entire Group in Sculthorpe to fight the Big Red Machine. Otherwise, it was bullshit, because we were a EUCOM organic asset. I can't remember if Davis was still Group Commander by late '83, but the push for 10th SFG Unification continued unabated.

We were directed from Ft Devens to strip off our 1-10 / Det Europe flashes and go to full green Ft Devens flashes. Of course we didn't actually have any Devens flashes at clothing sales...so that procedure took a few weeks. The BC was trapped between two bosses, but only one was his rater, and that guy lived in the same HQ building on the Flint Kaserne quadrangle. He would get an order from his stateside ADCON boss, put it out, and then wait for his OPCON boss to countermand the order.

Eventually we started played musical berets at 0900 formations, with the entire battalion being told to repeatedly change back and forth depending upon the political vagaries of the day. For a time, most of us just started showing up with two berets in our cargo pockets. One sewn with each kind of flash. Complete buffoonery.

On a side note, about a year earlier in this field grade dominance dance, the 1-10 Sr NCOs reminded Davis that, if we were his guys, we probably oughta be getting the same cutting edge gear then being issued back at Devens. Nicht War?

Shezzam! Size of an Airlift Pallet! A few weeks later, a C-130 landed out at the airstrip with a couple of pallets of then very newly fielded, Devens SF issue, Gen I Goretex and its associated swag. We were like kids playing Mom against Dad.

IIRC, the flash issue got permanently resolved for 1-10 about the time I left late Fall of '83. Everyone went to solid green. Det Europe kept the Tölz Flash for several more years...until re-flagged as 7th SOSCE...when they changed the background color from green to blue...around 90-91.
Astronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:46   #55
alright4u
Quiet Professional

Re: Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
UB,

Got the same one,the backside has the beret and a place to engrave your rank,name or whatever..... I just put my rank,name and year...... Don't know how to post thumbnails yet so unable to show backside.......

Big Teddy
Teddy; Your coin is the same I got at Devens in 74. I rec'd it when I reported for duty, and; it was inscribed in the S-1's office with rank and name .
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 16:16   #56
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alright4u View Post
Teddy; Your coin is the same I got at Devens in 74. I rec'd it when I reported for duty, and; it was inscribed in the S-1's office with rank and name .
a4u

I'm still considering getting it gold plated however I don't know yet if I'm going to be able to afford it...........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

Old 03-04-2012, 18:24   #57
alright4u
Quiet Professional

Just My Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
a4u

I'm still considering getting it gold plated however I don't know yet if I'm going to be able to afford it...........

Big Teddy
My opinion is not much. That SF coin was the first one I ever had. There are many these days. Original condition is what makes a coin.
alright4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 13:25   #58
Bennett
Quiet Professional

Coin

Sad thing is if you do a search on e-bay you'll find a couple 10th group coins with names and teams on them for sale. Makes one wonder!
De Oppresso Liber
[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="2"]
Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 21:09   #59
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alright4u View Post
My opinion is not much. That SF coin was the first one I ever had. There are many these days. Original condition is what makes a coin.
a4u

Your point is well taken,I'm going to leave it as is........ It was my 2nd coin,First one was in Germany with the 10th......

Big Teddy
Zonie Diver

Jack Moroney

Old 03-13-2012, 18:44   #60
cszakolczai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE844 View Post
Do you mean this one?
yep thats it. Sorry for the delay in response. Some of the current 10th group coins are pretty sweet looking.