Old 01-17-2005, 00:48   #1
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Just heard

I know a guy, who is re-upping with the guard, who is in interested in going SF. He has heard conflicting stories, about having to be Ranger Tabbed. Can any of you shed some light, I realize the qualifications are constantly changing. Is this a new thing??
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:38   #2
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4S
I know a guy, who is re-upping with the guard, who is in interested in going SF. He has heard conflicting stories, about having to be Ranger Tabbed. Can any of you shed some light, I realize the qualifications are constantly changing. Is this a new thing??
There has never been a requirment to be a Ranger prior to attending SF Selection/Q-Course, as far as I know.

TS
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:42   #3
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

That would be a might small recruiting pool. 64 guys per division who could conceivably be ranger qualified, not counting AD guys who came in. Plus the 2 NG LRSC's in Michigan and Georgia,

Sounds BS to me.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:16   #4
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

There is no requirement to be Ranger Tabbed prior to SFQC, however some Group Commanders have made it a pre-requisite for those folks to go before they take over an A-Team. COL Potter, circa 1981, when he was the commander of 10th Group tried to send all his CPTS and LTS to Ranger School. While it is not a requirement, it is good training and a Ranger Tabbed officer has one big advantage over an SF officer who is not-that Ranger Tab keeps him just a little bit dryer under the tab than one without the Ranger Tab.

I will also take this one step further. When I was but a wee lad in the Infantry Officer Basic Course I received orders for my first assignment in Germany. The opening paragraph read, "Welcome to the Ranger Battalion". That prompted me to go to Ranger School. When I arrived in Germany I found out that the Ranger Battalion took its name and heritage from the 36th Infantry out of Texas and coined the Ranger Bn name in honor of the Texas Rangers and had absolutely nothing to do with the Ranger mentality at all as it was a mechanized infantry battalion in the 3rd Armored division. Talk about a fish out of water, I was one of a handful of infantry officers in the battalion with airborne and ranger schools under his belt. If you don't think that is a dangerous combination, just ask any of the QPs on this forum about 2LTS who think that they know their way around the woods because they sported a set of jump wings and a Ranger Tab. I believe I hear a "Sweet Baby Jesus" erupting from somewhere south of Panama.

Jack Moroney
Old 01-17-2005, 21:10   #5
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Thanks for the input Y'all. I told him I'd never heard anything like that nor would think it would be a requirement.

Jack, sounds like that story of the two know-all Lts could be interesting
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 04:55   #6
37F5V
Guerrilla

I have read an AR stipulation regarding the rank of SFC with certain TIS/TIG requiring a Ranger tab to attend. Let me think on it and I will get back.

John

I stand corrected... AR 614-200 states

"(b) Soldiers in the grade of SFC must be Ranger or Airborne qualified, have no more than 9 months TIG and 12
years TIS when volunteering for SFASC. Soldiers must attend SFAS within 90 days of volunteering and be able to
begin the SFQC within 6 months of completing SFASC."

John

Last edited by 37F5V; 01-18-2005 at 06:25.
37F5V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 07:23   #7
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYRGR
I have read an AR stipulation regarding the rank of SFC with certain TIS/TIG requiring a Ranger tab to attend. Let me think on it and I will get back.

John

I stand corrected... AR 614-200 states

"(b) Soldiers in the grade of SFC must be Ranger or Airborne qualified, have no more than 9 months TIG and 12
years TIS when volunteering for SFASC. Soldiers must attend SFAS within 90 days of volunteering and be able to
begin the SFQC within 6 months of completing SFASC."

John
Still not a requirement, just the Airborne. Makes sense, not many SFC's attending the Q-course and if they do they must have already completed one or the other. (For all the civilians reading this in order to be a Ranger one must have completed Airborne school.)

TS
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote