Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 09-21-2004, 12:13   #1
-nD-
SF Candidate

NG SF contract questions...

I'm in the process of enlisting with the 20th group in Maryland as an 18echo. I just got off the phone with the recruiter and he's describing the contract to me. He said that I'll pick 3 MOS's with 18e being the first choice, 11b as second, and something else as a third (such as MP).

I have never heard of this picking 3 MOS's before - i thought you can get an MOS guaranteed? Also, do I have to specifically request a REP-63 contract? I was under the impression all SF contracts with the guard are REP-63...

He said he'll get the contract to me by this time tomorrow (hopefully before then). I'll scan it in to my pc and post it on here (with personal info deleted of course) for the BTDT's opinions of what I'm about to sign.

any insight would be helpful.
Thanks

edit: and everything i've heard SF contracts is that you don't enlist directly into an 18 series MOS like my recruiter is saying, but rather you are (in the case of 18x) assigned an MOS in the q-course or (in the case of the ARNG) sign on as an 11x, 31c, or 91w and get the full pipeline in the contract....

Last edited by -nD-; 09-21-2004 at 13:43.
-nD- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 12:28   #2
-nD-
SF Candidate

Also, would anyone with REP-63 contract be willing to post or PM me a copy of their contract so I have an idea of what mine should say?
Old 09-21-2004, 14:45   #3
Brushmonkey
SF Candidate

I will tell you this, something sounds fishy if your recruiter is saying its a sure bet that you will get 18E as an MOS. I understand my contract to say that I have to become MOS qualified in a "Feeder MOS" mine being 11B. I have to be qualified in PT scores, Jump qualification, NCO training, MOS qualified, PHULES profile which I cannot recite off the top of my head, qualify for a SECRET security clearance and pass a pre-selection run by the local SF company before I can even think about attending SFAS. I hope this helps.
Brushmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 15:27   #4
-nD-
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushmonkey
I will tell you this, something sounds fishy if your recruiter is saying its a sure bet that you will get 18E as an MOS. I understand my contract to say that I have to become MOS qualified in a "Feeder MOS" mine being 11B. I have to be qualified in PT scores, Jump qualification, NCO training, MOS qualified, PHULES profile which I cannot recite off the top of my head, qualify for a SECRET security clearance and pass a pre-selection run by the local SF company before I can even think about attending SFAS. I hope this helps.
so you didn't have the 3 mos choices in your contract? i guess it was just 11b plus the pipeline assuming you meet the requirements you mentioned?

thanks for your help
Old 09-23-2004, 11:31   #5
Brushmonkey
SF Candidate

No I did not have the MOS choices. Yes, and your welcome.
Old 09-23-2004, 21:29   #6
-nD-
SF Candidate

here it is....this is what i presume to be the most relevant section of the contract for the purposes of this thread

it appears as though i get 18e (w/ the pipeline i assume) but should i fail at any point, i'm reassigned as an 11b or a 92y to the 175th infantry depending on the needs of that unit...

failure isn't an option to me but i need to be realistic and cover all my bases - i have zero interest in serving as a 92y and would very much prefer to be kept on in some capacity in the 20th sfg; so I suppose i'll need a new contract drafted
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (115.9 KB, 263 views)
Old 09-24-2004, 21:09   #7
QRQ 30
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by -nD-
here it is....this is what i presume to be the most relevant section of the contract for the purposes of this thread

it appears as though i get 18e (w/ the pipeline i assume) but should i fail at any point, i'm reassigned as an 11b or a 92y to the 175th infantry depending on the needs of that unit...

failure isn't an option to me but i need to be realistic and cover all my bases - i have zero interest in serving as a 92y and would very much prefer to be kept on in some capacity in the 20th sfg; so I suppose i'll need a new contract drafted
Regardless of what many say, to include recruiters, the final decision is made based upon the needs of the Army. I'm not all that familiar with these new "contracts" but what I see are three confirmed TOE slots within the MD Guard. All you have to do is pass Special Forces Training and you will be in the 20th. Fail and you will go where the Guard needs or wants you.

Pain and suffering are inevitable,
misery is optional.

http://tadahling.com/memoriesofaspecialforcessoldier/
QRQ 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 16:06   #8
Leozinho
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushmonkey
... and pass a pre-selection run by the local SF company before I can even think about attending SFAS. I hope this helps.

Just pointing out that it sounds like Brushmonkey is a prior-service candidate, while nD would be a Rep-63. In other words, nD goes straight through the pipeline, without going back to his unit and passing a pre-selection there.

I'm an Rep-63 18E candidate with the 20th and am awaiting Phase 2. My contract said something like "99 weeks or until completion of training, to include Basic, 31C AIT, Jump School, SFAS and 18E SFQC, Language training and SERE."

There was no mention of a fallback MOS.

And, as mentioned, it is needs of the Army. I know of one REP-63 Delta hopeful that went to medic AIT and still was placed in an Echo slot, and he hasn't been able to have it switched to Delta. (Though he may be offered a Delta slot if he makes it past Phase 2).

All the other guard guys that I've met got the MOS slot that they were expecting. For all I know, the MOS committee saw something they didn't like in this particular fellow's test scores and decided not to put him a course that he's likely to fail.

Good luck.
Leozinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 18:00   #9
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Ooooh, I liked reading that contract. I want to see more enlistment and other contracts. Feed the shark!
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 18:40   #10
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer
Ooooh, I liked reading that contract. I want to see more enlistment and other contracts. Feed the shark!
You would have even more fun if you signed one.

Till Catwoman found out.

Just how old are you?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 19:09   #11
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
TR
18E, Right TR? LOL
Old 10-12-2004, 19:13   #12
Kyobanim

Quote:

Till Catwoman found out.

Just how old are you?

TR
He's in the range to sign the contract, I seen his resume.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 19:30   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacamuelas
18E, Right TR? LOL
I don't know how smart he is.

The 18E Course is generally considered to be the second most difficult.

OTOH, the 18Es almost always have the biggest heaviest rucks, since they have to haul the radios around, so he would have to be strong as well.

He might make a better Group JAG Officer with an SF Tab.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 23:19   #14
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Just how old are you?
I will be 36 at the end of the month. Am I eligible?
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 00:54   #15
Brushmonkey
SF Candidate

Leozinho I am not prior service. However it very well could be my contract that is not quite what it should be.