Old 03-01-2012, 19:54   #1
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

TV over INTERNET

I already dropped Cable. I Just use NetFlix, VUDU...etc. I connected my computer up to the TV using HDTV push to TV wireless. I also get all the networks with the HD antenna.
What I'm looking for? A web sight that lets you watch TV for free. Nothing pirated. Just something to give me more options. Everything I goggle seems to be bullshit or gimmicks.
If your paying for INTERNET and cable. Your wasting your money.
Old 03-01-2012, 20:07   #2
Sigaba
Area Commander

QP kgoerz--

You could go to the websites of the various services (networks) to watch recently aired episodes. For example, ABC has http://abc.go.com/watch.

Hulu also features recent episodes of television shows.

Also, your cable/internet provider may have options for you to stream programs from certain services (such as ESPN).

I recommend that one read very carefully the fine print of one's service agreement while wearing a tin-foil hat. Double check and to make sure how much one can download/stream in a billing cycle--even if one has been told that there are no limits.
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 20:13   #3
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Quote:
Everything I goggle seems to be bullshit or gimmicks.
It's because you're "goggling"....sorry had to do it.....

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 23:06   #4
theis223
Guerrilla

Good ol History Channel

QP Kogers-

The history channel lets you watch currently aired shows on their web site from the past season or so. The bastards still throw the occational comercial in but its not too bad. Beats the hell out of clips from youtube.

Just my .02 cents

Last edited by theis223; 03-01-2012 at 23:15.
theis223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 23:25   #5
NoRoadtrippin
Guerrilla

Have you overlooked Hulu.com? It's a great compliment to Netflix. Hulu will have current seasons of shows whereas Netflix only gets the past one(s) and what not. Content varies by provider, but its the only other site I use in the same way I use Netflix. We had the premium Hulu+ subscription for a bit, but I decided the last thing I needed was to watch more shows just because I was paying $7 a month to get them so I cut it off. Its free online...we were paying to get it on the Xbox. If you've already pushed a PC to your TV then you don't have a need for the + part of the service.
For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-Jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary period, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which is likely to be the more ominous for the [terrorists] -- an American decision that this is sport, or that it is business.
-D. W. Brogan, The American Character
NoRoadtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 13:29   #6
CloseDanger
Guerrilla

Here is one for ya - it's WWTV. There is plenty out there.
CloseDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 17:28   #7
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

I use HULU/NetFlix/VUDU/EPIX
VUDU seems to have the latest and greatest. Anyone else using anything different for streaming, keep it legal. Everyone already knows where to go for pirated stuff.
Old 03-02-2012, 18:23   #8
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Hulu seems to have only a few episodes of more recent sows with tons of partial clips. And commercials. I looked at hulu plus and can't find much that I'd watch that isn't already on Netflix.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 18:59   #9
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

I think HULU plus is for a gaming console, charge extra to watch thru a console. Once they centralize all this streaming. Cable will be gone. Right now it's spread all over the place. VIOS is already doing it in the northeast.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:32   #10
NoRoadtrippin
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streck-Fu View Post
Hulu seems to have only a few episodes of more recent sows with tons of partial clips. And commercials. I looked at hulu plus and can't find much that I'd watch that isn't already on Netflix.
Yep. This is why we cancelled it. What it does have over Netflix is the current seasons of the shows that it does carry. Netflix will always be at least one season out of date based on their current model. If Hulu has any given show then they usually have something like the last 5 episodes of the current season. If the shows you watch are carried by them then its effectively an internet based DVR you don't have to remember to set.
For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-Jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary period, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which is likely to be the more ominous for the [terrorists] -- an American decision that this is sport, or that it is business.
-D. W. Brogan, The American Character
NoRoadtrippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 14:37   #11
CloseDanger
Guerrilla

Remember also -Rabbit Ears
CloseDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 14:49   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloseDanger View Post
Remember also -Rabbit Ears
No lie.

I added a digital antenna and was shocked at the number and quality of OTA channels available from a large area.

And when cable is out, we still have something to watch.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 16:31   #13
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
I think HULU plus is for a gaming console, charge extra to watch thru a console. Once they centralize all this streaming. Cable will be gone. Right now it's spread all over the place. VIOS is already doing it in the northeast.
Hulu Plus is a paid access to more content. You can use a computer to access it. It does not require a console though the consoles can only access hulu plus rather than the free hulu.

Our Sony BluRay player has it along with Netflix, Vudu, and a dozen other services.

Old 03-03-2012, 16:32   #14
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
No lie.

I added a digital antenna and was shocked at the number and quality of OTA channels available from a large area.

And when cable is out, we still have something to watch.

TR
We have that as a back up. It is a nice option.

Old 03-03-2012, 16:55   #15
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
Once they centralize all this streaming. Cable will be gone. Right now it's spread all over the place. VIOS is already doing it in the northeast.
MOO, based upon my experience working in the cable industry, the "lean back" experience of cable will continue to command a large market share of end users (subscribers) who don't care to bring the "lean forward" sensibilities of the personal computer to their home entertainment experience. While some might argue that "digital convergence" will turn the tide in favor of computers/tablets/mobile devices, I think many Americans will continue to prefer the simpler solution even though it may not be the best solution. (Another stumbling block remains the fact that Microsoft and Google don't yet "get it" when it comes to the "lean forward"/"lean back" paradigm.)

Also, cable giants like COMCAST will continue to leverage ownership of product and product distribution rights for as long as possible. The industry will also try to stave off as long as possible "a la carte" subscriptions to services.

My $0.02.
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote