Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 11-09-2012, 13:16   #1
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Secession

With the country so polarized and divided, does anyone think it would be a good idea for a group of states to secede?

Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:18   #2
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguish Lawyer View Post
With the country so polarized and divided, does anyone think it would be a good idea for a group of states to secede?

Yep. Every damn one of them who came in for Obama.
Old 11-09-2012, 13:30   #3
SF18C
Quiet Professional

I truly think before states or citizens talk of Secession they should consider Nullification first.
"De Oppresso Liber"

Nomination for PS.com Quote of the Decade!
SF18C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:40   #4
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF18C View Post
I truly think before states or citizens talk of Secession they should consider Nullification first.
What, like a coup?
Old 11-09-2012, 13:41   #5
echoes
Area Commander

RL,

Just looked up Secession history in the United States, and found this bit of information interesting. I think it points to a mind-set, weather then or now, that if folks truly believe in something, they can force change. Interesting data to say the least.

Holly

Order of Secession During the American Civil War
Order of Seceding States
By Martin Kelly
http://americanhistory.about.com/od/...sion_order.htm

The election of Abraham Lincoln in 1860 was the final straw for many southerners. In all 11 states seceded from the Union. Four of these (Virginia, Arkansas, North Carolina, and Tennessee) did not secede until after the Battle of Fort Sumter that occurred on April 12, 1861. Five additional states were Border Slave States that did not secede from the Union: Missouri, Kentucky, West Virginia, Maryland and Delaware.
Order of Secession During the American Civil War

State Date of Secession
South Carolina December 20, 1860
Mississippi January 9, 1861
Florida January 10, 1861
Alabama January 11, 1861
Georgia January 19, 1861
Louisiana January 26, 1861
Texas February 1, 1861
Virginia April 17, 1861
Arkansas May 6, 1861
North Carolina May 20, 1861
Tennessee June 8, 1861
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 13:45   #6
SF18C
Quiet Professional

Quote:
What, like a coup?
Oh I meant that in the 1830’s South Carolina context t and not that 2011 filibuster crap the Repubs did during the Cordray hearings.

State refusals to implement Federal statutes. This is not a “party” issue, this is States standing up for their sovereign status and pushing back on Federal encroachment. Several states have begun this type of initiative with the Affordable Care Act! Those states just need to start coordinating and synchronizing their efforts!
"De Oppresso Liber"

Old 11-09-2012, 13:50   #7
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
State refusals to implement Federal statutes. This is not a “party” issue
Except in the case where reefer's been legalized.
Old 11-09-2012, 14:02   #8
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
State refusals to implement Federal statutes. This is not a “party” issue, this is States standing up for their sovereign status and pushing back on Federal encroachment. Several states have begun this type of initiative with the Affordable Care Act! Those states just need to start coordinating and synchronizing their efforts!
State here "went" for Obama, and Gov. had been waiting to see how election panned out as to whether and how much push-back would be needed for the so-called ObamaCare mandates that are to be driven down to the states. I say so-called because, like many other things, states have been known to successfully tell G to pound sand if they're willing to accept that some carrot is taken away. (We did it here with the light-rail welfare boondoggle.)

The interesting thing that happened up here (my county is already probably the 'reddest' in the state) is that - while O got votes and the idiots are sending Tammy Baldwin to the Senate as a pox on you all - Gov. Walker now has BOTH houses of the state legislature.

As you allude, this could get sporty.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:15   #9
MR2
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Yes! California, Vermont, New York, and Maryland.

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:20   #10
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The interesting thing that happened up here (my county is already probably the 'reddest' in the state) is that - while O got votes and the idiots are sending Tammy Baldwin to the Senate as a pox on you all - Gov. Walker now has BOTH houses of the state legislature.
As a resident, how do you explain this seeming dichotomy?
Old 11-09-2012, 14:23   #11
JimP
Quiet Professional

The problem is with the successful obfuscation of the 10th amendment, the States are way too beholden to the Fed "sugar-Daddy" to tell it to pound sand. Those states able to fiscally withstand a Federal boycott may be able to successfully pull this off. Look to the Dakota's (new energy industry), Texas, and some possible south-west states that don't have squat and don't mind giving up squat. (math: null from squat yields jack-schitt).

Can't count on the Supremes to hold the line anymore, Roberts saw to that. Things are looking grim for the next few years. We'll survive simply due to the fact that ultimately the savages will be unable to fend for themselves and we will inevitably achieve homeostasis.
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:31   #12
ChuckG
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
Yes! California, Vermont, New York, and Maryland.
I agree but believe that Mass and CT need to be added to the list.
ChuckG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:34   #13
SF18C
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
State here "went" for Obama, and Gov. had been waiting to see how election panned out as to whether and how much push-back would be needed for the so-called ObamaCare mandates that are to be driven down to the states. I say so-called because, like many other things, states have been known to successfully tell G to pound sand if they're willing to accept that some carrot is taken away. (We did it here with the light-rail welfare boondoggle.)

As you allude, this could get sporty.
Well if a state wants to stand on its own then don’t take the tainted boatloads of Fed MONEY!

Don’t like the Dept of Education…don’t accept those Fedral funds for schools!
Don’t want to set the legal drinking age to 21…give up those Federal Highway funds!
Don’t want to set up the exchange for Obamacare…do not count on the Medicade money!
Not all money is good money and the Fed doesn’t give up funds without strings attached. But when the dollar gets involved then the true character and values come out!!!

Now here is where Nullification has its power…you (and your neighbors) are much “closer” to your state congress than you are to your state Senator. If your state passes laws standing up to Federal encroachment ( and giving up that Fed$$$) at some point the Feds have to figure out how to enforce their will beyond the purse. Do you think they will send in tanks to enforce Obamacare???? (scary thought actually)
"De Oppresso Liber"

Old 11-09-2012, 14:41   #14
SF18C
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
The problem is with the successful obfuscation of the 10th amendment, the States are way too beholden to the Fed "sugar-Daddy" to tell it to pound sand. Those states able to fiscally withstand a Federal boycott may be able to successfully pull this off. Look to the Dakota's (new energy industry), Texas, and some possible south-west states that don't have squat and don't mind giving up squat. (math: null from squat yields jack-schitt).

Can't count on the Supremes to hold the line anymore, Roberts saw to that. Things are looking grim for the next few years. We'll survive simply due to the fact that ultimately the savages will be unable to fend for themselves and we will inevitably achieve homeostasis.
And Jim to me that is the truer problem…loss of the 10th amendment and the fact that the Fed has suckered in the state legislators and made them dependant on the Fed Sugar-daddy. Even to the point of giving some states LESS than what is TAKEN from that state!!! Kinda sounds like how a Pimp works! http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2012/02...federal-taxes/

Here is good summation of my feeling on the issue:

http://www.mikechurch.com/transcript...n-is-the-word/
"De Oppresso Liber"

Old 11-09-2012, 14:43   #15
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Oh I meant that in the 1830’s South Carolina context t and not that 2011 filibuster crap the Repubs did during the Cordray hearings.

I don't see this as anything close to a solution. Just wishful thinking. The only thing that might get the federal government's attention would be widescale refusal to pay taxes.