alot of question

Should have gone to the BRAC brief.
usrangers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:02   #47
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailaviborita View Post
- What are they going to do with guys that have less than a year left at Group prior to moving...?

- Are some guys close to retiring/wives have good jobs going to transfer to 3rd/SF CMD and/or stay as a "rear" unit until they are out?

- How are guys in 7th now handling their houses (selling or maybe renting out- since the market is a little low)?

- Is there going to be a GB club at the new place?
1. The guys that have less than a year have plenty of notice and are actively looking for a place to re-assign at Fort Bragg. Most are not moving with Group. At this point, I have no idea what a "rear" element at Fort Bragg will look like.

2. The market in Fayetteville is getting more stable as time passes (not fast enough for my taste). However, it is expected that when the BRAC Soldiers - if you will - begin to migrate to Fort Bragg starting next year, that home values, or rents, will be equitable, or at least not break the bank. I have to say, however, that I'm greatly concerned with this point in particular as I could stand to loose significant amount of money should I decide to sell. And to rent, I would have to do so at $1700 to pay the mortgage (it's a great big house in a great neighborhood). We'll see.

3. SF being SF, I doubt a long time will pass before we find/establish our own little "watering hole".

The big question is the handling of our dual responsibilities with SOUTHCOM and CENTCOM during that move. It will be interesting.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:19   #48
RB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailaviborita View Post
- Is there going to be a GB club at the new place?
The 7th SFA is still an active part of 7th Grp and is still operational.

More than likely you'll see the 7th SFA re-open at Eglin.

~D-6606~
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 00:09   #49
bailaviborita
Quiet Professional

rumor

Rumor has it that it has been pushed to 2012 now. Another rumor is no more Afghanistan deployments after the move. (don't you love rumors?)

Regardless, if a soldier gets there now and 7th moves in 2011- that means the two-year mark will be getting close for those officers. I am wondering what happens to those guys.

I'm wondering if they're not thinking about this right now because of deployments, leadership will change out prior to those decisions being made, and the possibility of delays pushing the date to the right. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:34   #50
CMF
Asset

Timeline for April press release

I'm due to PCS into 7th at the end of June, currently planning to send my family ahead to Eglin rather than move them twice in a year. The most recent timeline I can find published is from a USASOC press release April of this year. It has this;

As per congressional mandate, the entire group must be relocated by Sept. 15, 2011. The scheduled transitions will be as follows:

3rd Battalion – April 11-May 11, 2011
Headquarters and Headquarters Company/Group Support Battalion – May 11-Sept. 11, 2011
2nd Battalion – May 11-June 11, 2011
1st Battalion – June 11-July 11, 2011

Is there anything more current out there?

-CMF
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein
CMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 14:32   #51
bailaviborita
Quiet Professional

2 rumors I heard today were that the environmentalists have delayed the move- but you know how rumors are...
Old 12-19-2009, 05:17   #52
CMF
Asset

I ran across that one too

I ran across that one too but I think it's recycled from the original problems with the environmental impact survey that held up the start of the project. There's an approved survey on file for the site now, and nothing else current with the EPA. The local tree hugers there seem more or less taken up with the new jets coming in and the possibility of more drilling in the gulf. The compound seems to be the major bill payer for the prime contractor (Hensel–Phelps) due to the downturn so it's getting their full attention. There's four miles of new paved road already in to the site from SR 85 and the foundations are already in for what looks like the Group HQ and and BN HQ's. It looks like they already built the track for some bizarre reason and framing is going up on the HQ and one of the other buildings from what I can see, (hard to find photo's that make sense, local media is not that good). I was wondering more about policy as the move schedule has 3rd BN heading down first but the Army Corps of Engineers Project Manger made a comment about Commo guys being the first wave to make sure everything is operational prior to the main body. I am planning on moving my family ahead (straight there when we PCS in July) and I am wondering if there is going to be some sort of ADVON I can volunteer for if the deployment rotation doesn't eat up the whole year gap.

-CMF
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert A. Heinlein
Old 12-19-2009, 07:57   #53
Aequitas
Quiet Professional

Move is on

The move is happening...they have released dates to the group, but I'm not posting them on an open forum. The information above is incorrect about who is going when. If you're in 7th GRP you should have no issues finding out required information. Hope everyone has a great Xmas and NYE! It's starting to snow more frequently here in the Stan.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:17   #54
CMF
Asset

Not there yet

I'm not there yet. I don't PCS in until July 2010, and I don't mean to offend. I'm coming out of a small detachment in England and info is a little sparse. In order to avoid having my son change schools twice in a year / year and a half I am planning on sending my wife and him on ahead and doing the remaining time on Bragg alone. The only dates and schedules I posted are from a USASOC press release. The rest is from the newspapers down there (North West Florida News) and the environmental impact study of of the site, which is also public record and available online. There is also a pretty good PPT from the Egin command that has an overlay of the site and proposed area in the surrounding community that is considered commuting distance, since it is significantly different from the main cantonment area on Eglin itself. I will stop asking these questions in this forum if it's the wrong place and I apologise for any offense. I'm a support guy whose only previous group experience is 1st SFG(A) as my profile states, so I don't have the institutional contacts the rest of you do.

V/R
-CMF
Old 12-19-2009, 13:36   #55
Aequitas
Quiet Professional

No worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMF View Post
I'm not there yet. I don't PCS in until July 2010, and I don't mean to offend. I'm coming out of a small detachment in England and info is a little sparse. In order to avoid having my son change schools twice in a year / year and a half I am planning on sending my wife and him on ahead and doing the remaining time on Bragg alone. The only dates and schedules I posted are from a USASOC press release. The rest is from the newspapers down there (North West Florida News) and the environmental impact study of of the site, which is also public record and available online. There is also a pretty good PPT from the Egin command that has an overlay of the site and proposed area in the surrounding community that is considered commuting distance, since it is significantly different from the main cantonment area on Eglin itself. I will stop asking these questions in this forum if it's the wrong place and I apologise for any offense. I'm a support guy whose only previous group experience is 1st SFG(A) as my profile states, so I don't have the institutional contacts the rest of you do.

V/R
-CMF
No offenses...I'm just not a big fan of posting information on an open forum that not everyone really needs to know. However, your best route to get the information needed is to contact 7th SFG and try and get into contact with your future CoC if possible. If you have orders you should be on the gains roster. If all that fails then PM me and I'll see what I can do in regards to your questions with the information that has been given to us.

With that being said...if anyone else higher up the food chain would like to chime in with the information that's cool too and I'll go back to my cell.