Quiet Professional

Mulholland assumes command of 7th Special Forces Group

http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=279959

BMT

Quote:
Mulholland assumes command of 7th Special Forces Group
By Kevin Maurer
Staff writer

Col. Edward Reeder’s wife, Adrian, joked that her husband took command of the 7th Special Forces Group on one of the hottest days in North Carolina more than two years ago and relinquished command Friday on one of the coldest.

Col. Sean Mulholland took command of 7th Group from Reeder on Friday during a brief, chilly ceremony under at Meadows Memorial Field next to the U.S. Army Special Operations Command on Fort Bragg.

“Today, I’ve reached the peak of the mountain,” Mulholland said.

He started his Special Forces career with the unit. He was a detachment commander in the Group’s 3rd Battalion and later served as an operations officer and company commander.

Mulholland said he never imagined being the group’s commander.

“But, by the grace of God, here I am,” he said.

The 7th Special Forces Group was activated in 1942 as the 1st Special Service Force. It was created to carry out raids against Nazi Germany’s nuclear weapons program in Scandinavia.

During World War II, the unit also fought the Japanese in the Aleutian Islands and the Germans in southern France and Italy. The soldiers earned the nickname The Devil’s Brigade.

The unit disbanded after World War II but was reactivated in 1953 and recognized in 1960 as the 7th Special Forces Group.
Multiple assignments

Since the 1980s, the group has been operating in Latin America, combating first communist insurgencies in El Salvador and later narcotics trafficking.

The 7th Group also has been an integral part of the war in Afghanistan.

In Reeder’s 28 months in charge of 7th Group, every battalion in the unit deployed to Latin America.

The group headquarters, support battalion and several of the companies also deployed twice to Afghanistan.

Maj. Gen. Thomas Csrnko, the commanding general of Army Special Forces Command, thanked Reeder for his service.

“You have done a superb job leading this group,” Csrnko said.

The unit returned from Afghanistan in the fall.

Csrnko thanked the soldiers and their families for their sacrifice and praised them for a job well done.

“In your hands rests the freedom and liberties of this great country,” Csrnko said.

Reeder’s new assignment takes him to MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa, Fla. where he will become executive officer to Adm. Eric Olson, commander of the U.S. Special Operations Command.

In a short speech, he thanked the soldiers and said commanding 7th Group was the highlight of his career.

“To say that you’ve done well is a monumental understatement,” Reeder said. “You are the greatest fighting force on Earth.”
Staff writer Kevin Maurer can be reached at maurerk@fayobserver.com or 486-3587.
Old 12-08-2007, 14:00   #2
Dan
Administrators

Col. Ferdinand Irizarry, the 95th Civil Affairs Brigade commander, presents a certificate of appreciation to Col. Edward Reeder, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne) commander at 7th SFG(A) headquarters in Fort Bragg, NC, December 5. Irizarry praised 7th SFG for its ability to work closely with civil affairs Soldiers to bring peace and stability to oppressed people across the globe. (Photo by Sgt. Daniel Love, 7th SFG(A) PAO)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg appreciation.jpg (374.5 KB, 2372 views)
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 14:01   #3
Dan
Administrators

Command Sgt. Maj. George Bequer receives the 7th Special Forces Group (A) colors from Col. Edward Reeder, 7th SFG(A) Commander, during a change of responsibility ceremony at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, December 6. Bequer, formerly of 2nd Battalion, 7th SFG(A), took over for Command Sgt. Maj. Christopher Zets, who was the 7th SFG(A) command sergeant major for over a year. (Photo by Sgt. Daniel Love, 7th SFG(A) PAO)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg COR5633.jpg (389.8 KB, 2421 views)
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 15:13   #4
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Command Sgt. Maj. George Bequer receives the 7th Special Forces Group (A) colors from Col. Edward Reeder, 7th SFG(A) Commander, during a change of responsibility ceremony at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, December 6. Bequer, formerly of 2nd Battalion, 7th SFG(A), took over for Command Sgt. Maj. Christopher Zets, who was the 7th SFG(A) command sergeant major for over a year. (Photo by Sgt. Daniel Love, 7th SFG(A) PAO)
Two ex team Mates in that picture
Old 12-08-2007, 15:59   #5
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

I've had the priviledge of knowing all four of them for years. It was well worth freezing my *** to attend the ceremonies. A positive example of "grow your own" - both outgoing and incoming command teams were/are veterans of years in the 7th. I wish all of them well in whatever the future brings them.
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 16:04   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Two of the best, along with the replacements.

Lots of time in Group, not Johnny come lately block checkers.

Glad to have been there for them.

Less than 40 degrees, and the GSB guidon bearer still passed out.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 21:25   #7
CRad
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Two of the best, along with the replacements.

Lots of time in Group, not Johnny come lately block checkers.

Glad to have been there for them.

Less than 40 degrees, and the GSC guidon bearer still passed out.

TR

Agree 100%! Both are darn good guys. I'd be hard pressed to choose a favorite.

I saw the guy start to go down. I thought they handled it quickly and professionally.

Peregrino - it was nice to meet you finally. I've heard stories about you as back as the '80s. All good, by the way.
Old 12-08-2007, 23:05   #8
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

I am very happy to see that our Group is still in the hands of family members. I think it was COL Phillips (Ret.) that I first heard use the term "family business" in a speech during a formal dinner for the Group. Later, I remember COL James Kraft (then, a LTC and battalion commander) use that same phrase over and over again. I, for one, I'm glad that our new commander is COL Mulholland. Our Group is still "family business" and I'm very pleased about that. COL Reeder did the best he could and although, at times, I did not agree with a few decisions that were made during combat operations, I understand that he did the best he could and did so with mission accomplishment and the welfare of the men in mind. In the end, these men are all great Americans and I'm very glad to have them lead me and the rest of the men. COL Sean Mulholland was working as a battalion commander in the JFKSWCS when I met him and it was he that recommended that I join 7th Group and go specifically to 3rd Battalion. He called it the "most aggressive battalion" in the Group. And, althought I know that, in fact, every battalion in the Group is truly "the greatest fighting force on Earth", I am very greatful to have been guided to 3/7 SFG (A). I can't believe I actually get paid for doing this job!!!