Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > National Guard SF Groups > 19th Group

Old 08-18-2019, 15:07   #1
ShamgarTheJudge
Asset

Commuting To or Transferring States

Hello all,

Please let me know if this is beyond the scope of what I should be concerned with at this point and time, but I’m curious.

Are there any 19th Group members who are commuting from out of state or have transferred to their home state after enlisting in another (Utah being the starting point)? I would love to hear some perspective on either scenario.

Thank you.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:38   #2
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamgarTheJudge View Post
Hello all,

Please let me know if this is beyond the scope of what I should be concerned with at this point and time, but I’m curious.

Are there any 19th Group members who are commuting from out of state or have transferred to their home state after enlisting in another (Utah being the starting point)? I would love to hear some perspective on either scenario.

Thank you.
It is common to have ARNG SF units with members from all number of states. VERY common. In fact some commute past other units to get to their unit of choice. Why do that? Maybe you know people from prior AC service and want to be on a team with them again. Maybe you started out in a specific state and then moved because of your civilian employment and you are simply happy where you are at. Maybe you are new and want a specific MOS and a particular company is full..so you go somewhere that is not. Maybe you want staff time for career progression. Lots of reasons.

If you are Enlisted, nothing stops you from transferring to another state. You can do what is called an "uncoordinated IST" (interstate transfer) where the gaining state just pulls you in. Losing state can't stop it.

If you aren't yet SF qualified...this really isn't something you should be all too worried about, as you can pretty much go where you want.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:18   #3
ShamgarTheJudge
Asset

Roger that. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc_123 View Post
It is common to have ARNG SF units with members from all number of states. VERY common. In fact some commute past other units to get to their unit of choice. Why do that? Maybe you know people from prior AC service and want to be on a team with them again. Maybe you started out in a specific state and then moved because of your civilian employment and you are simply happy where you are at. Maybe you are new and want a specific MOS and a particular company is full..so you go somewhere that is not. Maybe you want staff time for career progression. Lots of reasons.

If you are Enlisted, nothing stops you from transferring to another state. You can do what is called an "uncoordinated IST" (interstate transfer) where the gaining state just pulls you in. Losing state can't stop it.

If you aren't yet SF qualified...this really isn't something you should be all too worried about, as you can pretty much go where you want.
Old 08-25-2019, 13:52   #4
18C4V
Quiet Professional

I'm a 19th Grouper who commutes to drill. I've commuted to Colorado and now commuting to Utah. The financial difference is that UT allows 18/25/35 series soldiers to off set 500 dollars for travel paid via DTS.

I'm sure there's other states that are doing the same, but I haven't heard of them yet. I would be curious to see what other states are doing it.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 19:55   #5
ShamgarTheJudge
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18C4V View Post
I'm a 19th Grouper who commutes to drill. I've commuted to Colorado and now commuting to Utah. The financial difference is that UT allows 18/25/35 series soldiers to off set 500 dollars for travel paid via DTS.

I'm sure there's other states that are doing the same, but I haven't heard of them yet. I would be curious to see what other states are doing it.

Thank you for the feedback. I’m from California and I’m in the process of enlisting through Utah (18X/Rep-63 preferably as a feeder 35F). Seems like there are quite a few guys from 19th making that commute. I would prefer to stay in California, but dealing with recruiters from both states, I’ve had a much more positive experience with Utah.
Old 08-25-2019, 21:41   #6
18C4V
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamgarTheJudge View Post
Thank you for the feedback. I’m from California and I’m in the process of enlisting through Utah (18X/Rep-63 preferably as a feeder 35F). Seems like there are quite a few guys from 19th making that commute. I would prefer to stay in California, but dealing with recruiters from both states, I’ve had a much more positive experience with Utah.
California doesn't do 18X/Rep 63. Utah has a pretty good Readiness Enhancement Company (REC) that does a pretty good job of getting the 18X/Rep 63's ready with the terrain and high altitude at Camp Williams.

Good luck
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 21:05   #7
ShamgarTheJudge
Asset

Quote:
California doesn't do 18X/Rep 63. Utah has a pretty good Readiness Enhancement Company (REC) that does a pretty good job of getting the 18X/Rep 63's ready with the terrain and high altitude at Camp Williams.

Good luck
Thanks, again. I’ll find more out about RSP and REC once I’ve gotten more of my other legwork done.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:33   #8
PretzelFactory
Asset

I am a 1LT, currently living in Pennsylvania (Philadelphia) and I commute down to North Carolina for my SFREs (~7-8hrs). The drive sucks, but worth it in the end. I have IST into the NCARNG, and on the books in a HHC CSSB Unit until I complete SFAS.

As of now, I will be headed to to Oct 20 SFAS class with a handful of other candidates from our SFRE program. So to answer your question, yes guys will travel esp out of state, I am the farthest away in our class, but you shouldn't cut yourself short, just because a unit is not "local".
PretzelFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:56   #9
steeve20
Quiet Professional

on the enlisted side its fine until you get to E-8. Then it can get political.
steeve20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:25   #10
Retread
Asset

Quote:
UT allows 18/25/35 series soldiers to off set 500 dollars for travel paid via DTS.
Update for future lurkers on this topic: CO is doing this now, too. Supposedly it’s NGB-wide and is part of the retention fund. It’s not automatic, though. You still need to get your support section to set up a DTS authorization, just FYI.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:47   #11
CW3SF
Quiet Professional

Almost my entire team drove from Missouri to Mississippi for drills for many years (late 1990s and early 2000s). We never got travel pay. We just carpooled and ate the travel expenses ourselves. We clearly weren’t in it for the money lol.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:13   #12
NC6J
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Good luck
California is now doing 18X/REP 63.
They have about 15 of them today.
And the Recruiting BN IADT manager is responsible for getting them to 11B OSUT.
Old 03-29-2021, 13:17   #13
ShamgarTheJudge
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC6J View Post
California is now doing 18X/REP 63.
They have about 15 of them today.
And the Recruiting BN IADT manager is responsible for getting them to 11B OSUT.

I’m currently trying to get on the waiting list in CA, but looking at other states with 18x.