Old 05-04-2004, 14:05   #1
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Holsters

What are some opinions on Holsters? What kind(s) do folks use? Material preferences? Leather vs. Kydex vs. Nylon. GP non concealed gun totin as well as CCW. Thigh rigs, Shoulder rigs, Inside waistband, Paddle type, Pocket holsters, Everything.

I'll start. I have Comp-Tac IWB Kydex holsters for officer's model and full size 1911(still waiting on full size gun though) and I like the comp-tac products. My favorite holster hands down would have to be a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 IWB for a Browning Hi Power. I can conceal a Hi Power under almost any shirt that I own with that holster. I also have an old Bianchi "Thell Reid" speed rig for a 1911 that also fits a Hi Power that is kind of cool. Finally, I have an Uncle Mike's Kydex Paddle and a Bianchi belt holster for a Charter arms Undercover 38 special that work pretty well for GP carry and can be concealed under a light jacket or vest.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 16:22   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Re: Holsters

Quote:
Originally posted by Air.177
What are some opinions on Holsters? What kind(s) do folks use? Material preferences? Leather vs. Kydex vs. Nylon. GP non concealed gun totin as well as CCW. Thigh rigs, Shoulder rigs, Inside waistband, Paddle type, Pocket holsters, Everything.

I'll start. I have Comp-Tac IWB Kydex holsters for officer's model and full size 1911(still waiting on full size gun though) and I like the comp-tac products. My favorite holster hands down would have to be a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 IWB for a Browning Hi Power. I can conceal a Hi Power under almost any shirt that I own with that holster. I also have an old Bianchi "Thell Reid" speed rig for a 1911 that also fits a Hi Power that is kind of cool. Finally, I have an Uncle Mike's Kydex Paddle and a Bianchi belt holster for a Charter arms Undercover 38 special that work pretty well for GP carry and can be concealed under a light jacket or vest.
I like the Kramer MSP Paddle for belt carry of a concealed pistol, a pocket holster for hideout guns, and a Safariland 6004 for tactical use.

That is just based on my personal opinion.

Did you mean that those are the holsters you plan to use when of legal age to carry?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 11:07   #3
Air.177
Quiet Professional

Yeah, Thats What I said

I have the stuff now, and it is legal for anyone to carry on private property. Though the border patrol didn't really care for it, but that is another story.
Air.177 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 12:17   #4
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

When absolute concealment is needed (in New Orleans, where my CCW permit is not accepted in La), I "might" carry my .22 LR Beretta in my Aker's pocket holster. Of course, that would be illegal, so I only "think' about doing that.

For my CCW, now a .45 Kimber/4" barrel:
I have been carrying my Kimber in either a M.S. Summer Special or a KC gun leather IWB holster that basically copies the look of the M.S. Heritage.

Am currently waiting for delivery on a Milt Sparks Executives Companion for the Kimber. (10-12 weeks is a LLOOONNNNGG time) haha

For belt carry not concealed or when concealed under a winter coat, etc.... in the past I have always used a Yaqui slide.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 13:03   #5
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
When absolute concealment is needed (in New Orleans, where my CCW permit is not accepted in La), I "might" carry my .22 LR Beretta in my Aker's pocket holster. Of course, that would be illegal, so I only "think' about doing that.

I personally would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Even in Kalifornia!

...not that I have ever carried a concealed firearm in Kalifornia...

Duty: Safariland SLS (self locking system) w/ a Kimber TLE.
Plain/Concealed Clothes Duty: Gould and Goodrich 3 slot belt slide w/ a standard thumbbreak. And a Kimber TLE.

Off duty (summer or warm weather) Glock 26 with an IWB by uncle mikes its a P.O.S. holster but it keeps if from falling out of my pants/shorts.
Or I carry a Springfield Champion (w/ alot of upgrades on it) in a Wilderness Tactical (yaqui style) holster. This is worn under a Hawaiian style shirt (something with a print on the shirt).
(winter) Springfield Champion with above Wilderness holster or a Blade tech open top holster.

Last edited by Smokin Joe; 05-05-2004 at 13:12.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 13:16   #6
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokin Joe
I personally would rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

Even in Kalifornia!

...not that I have ever carried a concealed firearm in Kalifornia...
You talking about not carrying at all or referring to my baby bullet slinger getting you killed? Don't want to waste my pickin back at you if I misinterpreted your words. haha

Last edited by Sacamuelas; 05-05-2004 at 14:37.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 16:13   #7
Smokin Joe
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
You talking about not carrying at all or referring to my baby bullet slinger getting you killed? : Don't want to waste my pickin back at you if I misinterpreted your words. haha
No offense intended or implied. ;-)

I was refering to the decision to not carry at all. ANY firearm you carry is better than the one you left at home.
Smokin Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 22:40   #8
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Uncle Mike's SideKick size 15 for inside pants concealed carry of HK USP 40C.

Purchased a HSGI drop leg holster for 92F recently from a retiring 18C at my unit. I have not used it and wont be able to for some time now, but for what I paid I could not pass it up...could I now Ghostrider.

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 14:01   #9
18C4V
Quiet Professional

I gotta carry what's issued to me while I'm working.

Safariland Level 3 holster for Beretta 96G (leather can't remember what model number)

Tactical use for PD and Army. Safariland 6004 SLS (for surefire light)

Galco combat master or SOB for Glock 23 for off duty use.
18C4V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 15:25   #10
Psywar1-0
Guerrilla

For CCW in the states:

One of them Kydex paddle holsters made in Isreal for my Springfield Champion, with a matching paddle on the other side with mags

For CCW downrange :

I have a Uncle Mikes Nylon belt holster and a Uncle Mikes Kydex.

For overt carry at work:

I have a Blackhawk drop leg that I sometimes use, I also have a Pals compatible pouch that can either carry 2 M4 mags or my M9 mounted on my vest, Its also by Blackhawk. I hate to use it, being blackhawk and all, but its a nice piece of kit.
Old 05-22-2004, 16:09   #11
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I have a:

Blade Tech Kydex rig with two mag holder - I use this one most.

A Kramer inside the waistband - excellent little holster.

LBT leg holster

Thinking about a HSG drop leg - I've heard good things.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 16:53   #12
jeep
Asset

Everyday carry- Springfield Gov't 1911 in a BladeTech IWB w/2 spare mags in kydex pouches. Concealable even during SoCal summers.

Tactical work- Same Gun in a Safariland 6004.

I have the G Code SOC Rig on order for a Springfield Operator. It should be enroute as I type. If it works out, I will carry that on my Tac Rig with a Surefire x200 light.
jeep is offline   Reply With Quote