Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Kit Tips > Professional Gear

Old 12-05-2012, 21:21   #1
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Wet weather gear

I'm needing replacements for both wet-weather jacket and pants (my old issue stuff is done). Requirements are as follows:

1. Tactical/Camo pattern

2. Must be quiet when worn as an outer

3. Would really like it to be able to take a "driving" rain (think 60 mph rain, or flying down a lake in a sparkly bass boat)

4. Would be handy for it to be somewhat small, although it doesn't have to be packable.

5. Needs to tough enough to take some abuse, and also fit snug enough to shoot in.

Thanks for any help

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 21:37   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
I'm needing replacements for both wet-weather jacket and pants (my old issue stuff is done). Requirements are as follows:

1. Tactical/Camo pattern

2. Must be quiet when worn as an outer

3. Would really like it to be able to take a "driving" rain (think 60 mph rain, or flying down a lake in a sparkly bass boat)

4. Would be handy for it to be somewhat small, although it doesn't have to be packable.

5. Needs to tough enough to take some abuse, and also fit snug enough to shoot in.

Thanks for any help
The issue Gore-Tex in BDU pattern would cover some, but not all of those, and in a lightly used one, be economical, too.

If you really want it snug and packable, the old issued lightweight Gore-Tex jacket was sweet, but at 60mph and raining, almost everything is going to leak at the seams and cuffs.

I have not found a single jacket that does everything you are looking for, and I probably have a dozen outdoor jackets in my coat closet, from some of the best outdoor gear companies out there.

You optimize for one or two of those factors at the expense of the rest.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 21:59   #3
Longstreet
Guerrilla

Jayson here and while I have no experience with CP Gear's 'Stealth Suit' it is highly regarded in the Canadian Forces and may be something you are looking for. You can check it out here:

www.cpgear.com/store/clth/stealth_suit.htm

jaYson
I’ve come to a frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element in the classroom. It’s my personal approach that creates the climate. It’s my daily mood that makes the weather. As a teacher, I possess a tremendous power to make a child’s life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration. I can humiliate or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis will be escalated or de-escalated and a child humanized or dehumanized.
--Haim Ginott--
Longstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 00:21   #4
Flagg
Area Commander

There's lots of surplus German Flektarn wet weather sets selling on the net for cheap.

I've used the jacket for hunting and it packs light and tight and is built to a good standard, seems to handle rough treatment, and makes for a quiet outer layer shell

It seems to cover your criteria and might be worth short listing.

Just my personal anecdotal experience, others may differ.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:30   #5
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocIllinois View Post
Combine those with a proper poncho when in the "driving rain" conditions, and I think you're covered for the requirements mentioned.
A "driving rain" because the bass boat is on plane at 60+ mph (either escaping inbound wx or trying to get to a weigh-in on time with 20+ lbs in the live-well) may not be the best poncho situation. The PFD with kill-switch lanyard has to go over that as well when preparing to create "driving" rain. (If the idea is to slap the hell out of your partner for a bad net job while runnin' then it might be ok.)

As TR describes, more than 1 solution may be called for. One for most, regular to very active movement, etc., and something that does the job (albeit infrequently) in the boat. FWIW, I keep a full set of Frog Toggs in a small stuff sack when in a boat and nothing has gotten through them when worn properly. They also go on quickly and seem to have double-seams & closures in all the right places. IMO they're also lighter & more comfortable than the MIL goretex (still excellent stuff) in the summer.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:55   #6
koz
Quiet Professional

For the best wet weather protection (but sucks for ventilation) Helly Hansen Impertech. Not necessarily tactical but they do have camo. (I use the OD green). It's not noisy at all. It's tough enough that I've worn it in AK moose & bear hunting. It will keep you dry in the driving rain in AK when it's not going to stop for 3-4 days.

For heavy rain but not necessarily constant rain where Gore-tex will eventually soak, the Arc'terxy Apha jacket is a really good performer. I'm lucky to have not had to pay for my multicam jacket (it's the LEAF series) as they're around $800 and I have a black non-berry compliant Alpha jacket. They're around $450 and just as good as the LEAF but not camo.
koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:19   #7
booker
Guerrilla

I've heard good things about River's West, but have no personal use experience. It doesn't make all the requirements you posted, but as TR said, I don't think one jacket will.

http://www.riverswest.com/ambush_jacket.html
Old 12-06-2012, 12:31   #8
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

While not meeting your color choice.

Have you looked at motorcycle over garments?

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 17:23   #9
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker View Post
I've heard good things about River's West, but have no personal use experience. It doesn't make all the requirements you posted, but as TR said, I don't think one jacket will.

http://www.riverswest.com/ambush_jacket.html
I looked at the rivers west stuff, and it looks interesting. A friend has one of their waterproof-fleece upland hunting jackets, and loves it. Kind of pricey, but their videos look really good.

Hadn't looked at the motorcycle stuff, as I will be spending time in the woods with this stuff. I have a long raincoat and oilskin fedora for work, this set will be used pretty harshly.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 21:40   #10
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

I keep a set of Mossy Oak Frog Toggs in the truck for contingencies. Deliberate outings still get the ECWCS BDU pattern parka and pants treatment.

Personally, I want to see the poncho at 60mph in a bass boat. Think of the potential it has as an eject/self extraction system if you let it catch air like a drogue chute!
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:31   #11
MR2
Quiet Professional

I just want to see a b(ad)ass boat going 60 MPH!

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:54   #12
Destrier
Quiet Professional

Not camo, but I like my filson tin cloth gear. Nearly indestructible.
Enlightenment comes with age. In SF we cannot wait for aged enlightenment to be successful. We need to be successful now. This means hunt out education, seek advice from experts, become an expert, and never stop learning. Never let your ego keep you from asking questions! Pass on your knowledge! (Pistol Pete)
Destrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:39   #13
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
Personally, I want to see the poncho at 60mph in a bass boat. Think of the potential it has as an eject/self extraction system if you let it catch air like a drogue chute!
OK, saved the coffee but where's that pounding-the-floor ROFLMAO smilie?

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:10   #14
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
I find the underlayers are just as important to wet weather comfort, that some good ventilation and materials that handle wet well. I prefer water proof if out for extended periods. There are some nice breathables that are comfortable in some moisture, I have a Patagonia, Rain Shadow Jacket, nothing fancy but is light and has held up for years, easy to carry so you have it when needed. IIRC it was a component of the MARS System...
Stay dry

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 19:52   #15
mikem04rubi
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
I just want to see a b(ad)ass boat going 60 MPH!
Me too...

Was at the range yesterday about 14 degrees and my buddy had a very thin digital Camo coat on, ...100% waterproof..... SITKA. $ 550.00
He has too much money
mikem04rubi is offline   Reply With Quote