Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2017, 20:26   #21
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
TJ 11B

Bingo for urban, when we were kids, we covered the entire town, even had egress an exit strategies to avoid parents and those who would curtail our little world of invisibility.

The load keeps increasing and I would argue, not for safety and minimalism to complete the transit, but for comfort sake, fire, food, not sleeping on dirt and absorbing the chill of the earth.

It reminds me of when Sandy hit the northeast, my wife and I experienced no hardship. Friends and relatives not so much. One, who is the building supervisor for a major property in NYC, that covers an entire block in Chelsea, went into lock down, as criminals tried to break in through the gates. Unable to assess the threat and defend, they knock on every door seeking arms to protect themselves. Nada, not one owner held a personal firearm...

That said, I come back to the the base element. You are an army of one.

Any encounter will most likely not end in your favor.

Therefore, a light load, because you are on the run, and need to cover 10/20 miles intervals per day, while avoiding all detection, like cooking food, fishing and hunting, unless its with a sling shot, is a death sentence. imoo
I believe that everyone has to find their happy medium between overloaded with too much junk, and comfortably loaded with what you need. The only way to do that is to walk with your load on your back, and practice living out of it.

I do not believe that you can make this journey with little to no food or by shivering all night to try and keep from freezing. Buzzing and biting insects can make you crazy. A little bad water and you are stuck for several days trying to recover while puking and crapping your guts out. A couple of bouts of this and you would be seriously ineffective, if not dead.

A JetBoil or the like can make hot water for rehydrating meals or warming beverages very quickly, without adding a lot of weight. A one ounce fishing kit might keep you moving, if you know when and where to use it. Most things I would choose to carry can be used for more than one purpose.

In the right season, your shelter and clothing might be quite light. In winter up North, not so much.

The Native American generally traveled light, but his life expectancy was very short as well.

Running will likely get you detected and rolled up. You can make 10-20 miles per day without running, if you are conditioned, plan well, and have the right terrain and route selected.

First line gear has been discussed extensively here before. First is on your person or in your pockets. Second is the next layer after that and is generally your load carrying gear. Third line is your rucksack and its contents.

Agreed with the comments about urban camouflage, but would suggest you determine in advance which underground tunnels are passable on foot, or are filled with sewage or toxic gas on a regular basis.

CI MiniMags are supersonic from a rifle, and some pistols. You may want to find out before you have to use them and they are not quiet.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote