Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 11-16-2017, 07:19   #1
Chucko
Guerrilla

Nursing Home Screw Up

http://popularmilitary.com/video-rel...-screams-pain/

Riveting video...

A World War II veteran confined to a nursing home died while his calls for help went unanswered- and the whole thing was caught on hidden camera.

The incident took place at a Northeast Atlanta Health and Rehabilitation in 2014 , but the footage has only recently been made public by the family as part of a lawsuit.

89-year-old James Dempsey -who served his country during World War II- called for help six times, saying he couldn’t breathe.

When he finally became unresponsive, former nursing supervisor Wanda Nuckles approached the scene after being notified by another nurse.

Nuckles claimed she was began CPR and continued to do so until paramedics arrived- however, the camera tells a different tale.

“Sir, that was an honest mistake,” Nuckles when confronted with video footage during the deposition. “I was just basing everything on what I normally do.”

Not only did she lie about the chest compressions, the staff did not call 911 until an hour later.

When nurses had difficulty getting Dempsey’s oxygen machine operational during attempts to fix the issue, you can hear Nuckles and others laughing.

“In 43 years in nursing, I have never seen such disregard for human life in a healthcare setting, is what I witnessed,” said Elaine Harris, a retired nursing professor.

She criticized the nurses, claiming that the nurses failed to respond, assess and act- not to mention the failure to continuously perform CPR.

“That is absolutely inappropriate. You never stop compressions,” said Harris.

According to 11Alive, the family has reached a settlement agreement with home operators Sava Senior Care, who fired the nurses ten months after the video was brought to their attention.

Northeast Atlanta Health and Rehabilitation continued to have a history of problems after Dempsey’s death due to health and safety violations, earning a one-star rating from Medicare and over $813,113 in fines since 2015.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:42   #2
mark46th
Quiet Professional

“In 43 years in nursing, I have never seen such disregard for human life in a healthcare setting, is what I witnessed,” said Elaine Harris, a retired nursing professor."

Elaine Harris should spend some time at a VA hospital.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:45   #3
TJ11B
Auxiliary

I had to watch my Papa wither and die in a place like this.

This is what federally-subsidized senior care looks like.
Old 11-16-2017, 22:43   #4
Chucko
Guerrilla

Had to put my mother in a nursing home a couple years ago and was a fairly nice one and caretakers seemed to care about the well being on the patients. In time they moved on and new ones, seemingly untrained, we not doing things they should have been doing, not to the extent of the one in the video by a long shot.

My sister who lives in the area spent a lot of time at the place trying to get the aides in gear. She finally got a job at the NH just to keep an eye on things to a higher level.

I do not think this place is any worse than others around there. But, it would be a tough tough job. I couldn't do it.
Old 11-19-2017, 21:27   #5
NurseTim
Guerrilla Chief

Those two fucktards still have their licenses, or so I’ve heard. GBON best distance themselves from them immediately. I know I will be calling to check on their status.
NurseTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 00:12   #6
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseTim View Post
Those two fucktards still have their licenses, or so I’ve heard. GBON best distance themselves from them immediately. I know I will be calling to check on their status.
Nope, been pulled; thankfully.

[Redacted]

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)

Last edited by Old Dog New Trick; 11-20-2017 at 20:12.
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:14   #7
Sohei
Area Commander

There was no "mess-up" there. There was only pure incompetence and laziness. Nursing homes have become rampant sources of pathetic "medical" care in the name of "helping" our seniors.

Rest In Peace, Sir! You deserved much better!
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:35   #8
Box
Quiet Professional

Agreed - 'screw up' implies that a mistake was made. Willful negligence is not a screw up.

A few folks should probably end up with some jail time.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 21:22   #9
Penn
Area Commander

man·slaugh·ter
ˈmanˌslôdər/Submit
noun
the crime of killing a human being without malice aforethought, or otherwise in circumstances not amounting to murder.
"the defendant was convicted of manslaughter"
synonyms: killing, murder, homicide, assassination; literaryslaying
"the jury will decide if she is guilty of manslaughter"

They should F'in hang!
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote