Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > General Medical

Old 01-26-2016, 16:10   #1
UofA4161
SF Candidate

Retrocalcaneal Bursitis

Hey all,

I have searched the threads for concrete info on this issue all that I can, so my apologies if this has been sufficiently covered elsewhere or if I'm posting this in the wrong place. Also, thanks in advance for any input you might be able to give.

Topic: How to best treat/manage retrocalcaneal bursitis while wearing boots through OSUT & SFAS.

Background: I'm 18-X, shipping in March. To prep for SFAS, I've been rucking and running in Nike SFB boots for the past 6 months.

Issue: Two weeks ago, while on a long run in boots, I acquired a most magnificent pain in my right heel around mile 10, where the hard back of the boot's heel cup meets my heel. I had to stop and switch to running shoes that I had in my backpack, then hobble down the trail back to civilization.

Self-Diagnosis: I think it's retrocalcaneal bursitis because it only hurts when a shoe/boot is pressing on the back of my heel on the bursa, and I have no other sensitivity/pain in my achilles or calf. On a scale 1-10, the pain is a 8.

Treatment: Since the event, I've stayed off of it for the most part. I've been doing 2 contrast baths per day (ice water then hot water, repeatedly), and rolling my calf out a lot.

But, even after two weeks of no activity, as soon as I put my foot in the boot, the pain is back in full effect. I thought this would be gone by now, so I'm a little worried.

I'm interested in your thoughts and input- for more direct questions:
1.) Any general tips? Is this a relatively common thing for those new to boots?

2.) Can I do any permanent damage to my foot in OSUT/SFAS by continuing to ruck/run with retrocalcaneal bursitis, or is this just a matter of pain management?

3.) Last resort question, I don't really know how medical care works in the Army yet, and I've read that steroid shots into the bursa are an effective treatment when you have no choice but to continue to train (I'm thinking about SFAS here)- so might I be able to acquire a steroid shot in the Army prior to SFAS?

4.) At SFAS, if it becomes a problem and I cut the back of my boot off to take the pressure off of the bursa so that I can continue to run/ruck at SFAS- will I be disqualified from SFAS for my boots being out of AR-670 reg?
UofA4161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 17:27   #2
Joker
Quiet Professional

Go get checked out by doctor before you really elf yourself and future up.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 18:40   #3
SF-TX
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Go get checked out by doctor before you really elf yourself and future up.
That could be bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg will-ferrell-elf-630x355.jpg (53.4 KB, 24 views)

I hold it as a principle that the duration of peace is in direct proportion to the slaughter you inflict on the enemy. –Gen. Mikhail Skobelev
SF-TX is offline   Reply With Quote