Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 12-29-2018, 22:30   #31
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge2 View Post
To me, the saddest part of that is that the sheep have allowed themselves to be led by fear. They are scared of everything and the political wolves, MSM, etc., all know and exploit it to the fullest. Pathetic really!
Agreed

That is why I usually stop take a deep breath and calmly start looking at the situation...if it even effects me in any way...keeping a healthy skepticism is important to avoid being made a fool of and enough life experience to recognize when something sounds foolish and enough intellectual curiosity coupled with common sense to ignore unrealistic crap and investigate plausible stuff that concerns me.

Last edited by WarriorDiplomat; 12-30-2018 at 00:41.
WarriorDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 02:24   #32
JGC2
Quiet Professional

I was always confused by QPs who adored Mattis after the well known story of him leaving ODA 574 out to dry when he was the Commander at Camp Rhino. He did nothing remarkable or identifiably friendly to SF as CENTCOM Commander, and he rolled over on women in SOF and trannies as SECDEF. The myth of him as some sort of warfighter ignores that he was a staff officer for all of GWOT and beyond. I say good riddance.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:35   #33
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

If Stanley McChrystal left any doubt in anyone’s mind as to his allegiance to the military over his views on politics and gun control this should help clear that up.

https://apple.news/AvekQCcxVT3eGXuGO2rd9GA

President Trump immoral, doesn't tell the truth: Retired Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal

What a tool he became for those next couple of stars if not a liar his whole career.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:02   #34
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
If Stanley McChrystal left any doubt...
...over his views on politics https://apple.news/AvekQCcxVT3eGXuGO2rd9GA.
"If we want to be governed by someone we wouldn't do a business deal with because their -- their background is so shady, if we're willing to do that, then that's in conflict with who I think we are. And so I think it's necessary at those times to take a stand."

...you know - the way we trusted folks like Kennedy, LBJ, Nixon, Carter, Regan, Bush, Clinton, or even the Choom-Gang POTUS

Nothing beats a lesson on honor and integrity like getting that lesson from a guy that lost his job for shit talking his commander in chief.
Now if only we could get some hip pocket training on how to identify sanctimonious behavior by people of power - we'd be ready for anything.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 12-30-2018 at 22:08.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:55   #35
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

He must’ve had some real shattering mirror moments with Hamid Karsai...how many years of bad luck after breaking a mirror?

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 14:04   #36
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
"[I]Now if only we could get some hip pocket training on how to identify sanctimonious behavior by people of power - we'd be ready for anything.
Of all the things the Human Genome Project couldn't tell us...

"You do not have to remind me that man is not equal to his rhetoric. "
- Dante, in The Russia House

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 16:48   #37
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
If Stanley McChrystal left any doubt in anyone’s mind as to his allegiance to the military over his views on politics and gun control this should help clear that up.

https://apple.news/AvekQCcxVT3eGXuGO2rd9GA

President Trump immoral, doesn't tell the truth: Retired Army Gen. Stanley McChrystal

What a tool he became for those next couple of stars if not a liar his whole career.
That interview was simply a hit piece by two never Trumpers. And, if they sell books it’s all gravy.

Please General..the other choice was Hillary “Benghazi” Klinton...look into that “integrity” mirror and let me know what you see.

The political elite are scared shitless of Trump pulling back the curtain on the shit show that is DC.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 17:11   #38
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

POTUS Trump is a Grade A son of a bitch. That said, sometimes it takes a Grade A son of a bitch to accomplish the task at hand. Full disclosure, I did not vote for POTUS Trump. I voted for the guy from New Mexico, Gary what's his name. After 8 years of beta male leadership by Dear Leader O'Bumbles it is refreshing to watch a Grade A son of a bitch at work. He gets stuff done.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 21:39   #39
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Trump is not part of the "system". That scares the collective because he doesn't give a shit about breaking things. He's the modem day version of the fire ship drifting into the political safehaven of Washington DC.

By the way, I hate all political parties of which there is really only one.... so I don't have a horse in this race. Only the American people and the Constitution.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 22:09   #40
WarriorDiplomat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Trump is not part of the "system". That scares the collective because he doesn't give a shit about breaking things. He's the modem day version of the fire ship drifting into the political safehaven of Washington DC.

By the way, I hate all political parties of which there is really only one.... so I don't have a horse in this race. Only the American people and the Constitution.
As it should be...isn't it a shame that the networks the supports the two main parties is so deeply entrenched that without the support of one or the other their is almost no way for someone to win without the worker bees in every city already in place free of charge.?
Old 12-31-2018, 09:24   #41
tonyz
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post

Well said. Concur completely.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 18:04   #42
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperFrank View Post
POTUS Trump is a Grade A son of a bitch. That said, sometimes it takes a Grade A son of a bitch to accomplish the task at hand. Full disclosure, I did not vote for POTUS Trump. I voted for the guy from New Mexico, Gary what's his name. After 8 years of beta male leadership by Dear Leader O'Bumbles it is refreshing to watch a Grade A son of a bitch at work. He gets stuff done.
I’m of a very similar mind.

I don’t like the guy at all.

Recently, I read a book called “A Covert Action: Reagan, the CIA, and the Cold War struggle for Poland”.

A truly excellent book, telling a fantastic true story.

It also gives another great profile on President Ronald Reagan’s oversimplistic but highly effective good/evil viewpoint and ideological war against communism.

But I think the world has changed and the US is once again less politically civil.

I don’t think a gentleman like President Reagan would survive in an era of shock & awe social media politics.

President Trump is a brash, disruptive, unapologetic bully compared to President Reagan.

But if you’re in an existential fight, do you want a gentleman or a mongrel?
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 18:08   #43
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
But if you’re in an existential fight, do you want a gentleman or a mongrel?
Precisely. The other side loves it, drooling, when those they seek to destroy get all "civlized" on 'em.

Me? I'll take some more CAS please - pile 'em up.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Old 12-31-2018, 18:17   #44
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Suspect that the general knows his stuff, and advocated for the best interests of the mission associated with his appointment.
Also suspect that the POTUS knows and has considered this.

However, the POTUS has a larger scale mission, and the general's mission has to fit within a larger set of priorities.
Mattis had views consistent with his SECDEF mission, and Trump made decisions consistent with his POTUS mission.

Trump is accountable to the people.
Time will tell which calls were the right ones.
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 19:23   #45
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg View Post
Recently, I read a book called “A Covert Action: Reagan, the CIA, and the Cold War struggle for Poland”.

A truly excellent book, telling a fantastic true story.

It also gives another great profile on President Ronald Reagan’s oversimplistic but highly effective good/evil viewpoint and ideological war against communism.
Get it here. (and yeah, shamelessly linked to smile.amazon, so set yours up to support GBF, or some other worthy outfit you think Bezos should kick in some bucks for).

Looking forward to it; my small town library - with a Rottweiler who handles inter-library loan searches - has it on the way. Winter ist lang, Kamerad.