Old 05-26-2009, 17:14   #31
incarcerated
Area Commander

Russian Firm Buys a Stake in Facebook

By CLAIRE CAIN MILLER
Published: May 26, 2009

A Russian investment firm, Digital Sky Technologies, has invested $200 million in the social networking company Facebook in return for a 1.96 percent stake, the two companies said Tuesday....

Digital Sky Technologies is a prominent Internet investor in Russia and Europe, where it owns stakes in Web companies that account for 70 percent of all page views on the Russian-speaking Internet, according to the firm.

Its portfolio companies include two large social networks, Forticom and vKontakte, and a Russian Web portal, Mail.ru....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/27/te...gl3lf5i9Ow6D/g
incarcerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 17:18   #32
Richard
Quiet Professional

$100M = 1%! Holy crap!

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 17:31   #33
rm1249
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
By "this site" I think he meant the site that his friend listed him on, not PS.com.

TR
That is correct, thanks for the clarification TR.

I will post results if and when I am able to remove the info.

Thanks,
rm1249
rm1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:34   #34
pope81018
Asset

Quote:
But do not expect to ever be selected for any covert or clandestine missions, period. (It ain’t going to happen when millions already know your face and name.)
Quote:
Oh, and those classified counter-terrorist units people whisper about. Forget it, not a snowball's chance in hell of you joining after posting your face and name all over the internet.

Would this hold true 10 years down the road? I've had an account for about two years on Facebook. This doesn't sound promising.

"It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys." - Emil Zatopek

Which side are you on?

Last edited by Surgicalcric; 06-03-2009 at 07:47. Reason: fixed quotes
pope81018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:54   #35
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Once something goes up on the net, it is out there forever.

The best you can do now is to attempt some damage control.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:27   #36
pope81018
Asset

I best get started then. Correct me if I am wrong, but are you saying that whenever I updated my profile (status, added a picture, etc) that a file was created, freezing that exact "frame" of data onto a file?

Do you think it would be better to just delete my account, or should I take away information, wait a bit, and then delete?

Sometimes I wish I was born in the '70s.

"It's at the borders of pain and suffering that the men are separated from the boys." - Emil Zatopek

Which side are you on?
Old 06-03-2009, 10:35   #37
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope81018 View Post

1) I best get started then. Correct me if I am wrong, but are you saying that whenever I updated my profile (status, added a picture, etc) that a file was created, freezing that exact "frame" of data onto a file?

2) Do you think it would be better to just delete my account, or should I take away information, wait a bit, and then delete?

3) Sometimes I wish I was born in the '70s.
1) Yes

2) Delete the account, as we have told countless others.

3) Why? There are people from my generation that have no idea what personal security is and even many who do blow it off...

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:02   #38
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Would this hold true 10 years down the road? I've had an account for about two years on Facebook. This doesn't sound promising.
You plan on having plastic surgery? Or was this just a stupid question?

Team Sergeant
Old 06-03-2009, 12:11   #39
Slantwire
Quiet Professional

Quote:
but are you saying that whenever I updated my profile (status, added a picture, etc) that a file was created, freezing that exact "frame" of data onto a file?
At the risk of rehashing the point of this thread:

Yes, there are archives of old internet data, available on the internet. (Shocking, I know.)

Even without that: Right-click, Save. A person who later removes data from the internet can't do anything about an enemy's local files.

Last edited by Slantwire; 06-03-2009 at 12:14.
Slantwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 13:46   #40
pope81018
Asset

3) Why? There are people from my generation that have no idea what personal security is and even many who do blow it off...

That is a good point. What I meant by my comment was today, a large amount of teenagers are relying on technology for social interaction. Texting and social networks have taken away the amount of personal interaction that, from what I've heard, seemed to be present in most social relationships in the past.

Which side are you on?
Old 06-03-2009, 13:57   #41
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

Quote:
...That is a good point. What I meant by my comment was today, a large amount of teenagers are relying on technology for social interaction. Texting and social networks have taken away the amount of personal interaction that, from what I've heard, seemed to be present in most social relationships in the past.
Being stupid transcends generations... Its poor judgment thats the issue, not technology; thats an excuse for being able to not thinking things through. Use your head and stop following after whats "cool" or "in" or whatever they say these days.

Now go do PT.

Crip

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 14:02   #42
pope81018
Asset

Its poor judgment thats the issue, not technology; thats an excuse for being able to not thinking things through.

I completely agree.

Use your head and stop following after whats "cool" or "in" or whatever they say these days.

I have been, but there is always room for improvement. Off I go.

Which side are you on?
Old 07-16-2009, 16:32   #43
tai
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm1249 View Post
I recently got an email saying someone has added me as a friend on a social networking site, of which I am not a member. Apparently this site creates profiles for people by gathering info from the web. Mylife.com has a photo of me and probably more information that I cannot see. Is anyone else familiar with this site, it seems like I cannot delete my information without becoming a member, which costs $30. Anyone know a work around for mylife.com or other similar sites?
thanks,
rm1249
I'm in the process of scrubbing my web presence and I also found a listing on MyLife. It contained very little personal information, just my nickname and a picture, but that's more than enough. I called their customer support line and they removed the listing. (888) 704-1900

Those types of sites phish information from the public domain and aggregate it for their own commercial interests. The best "work around", as has been mentioned here numerous times, is to remove your information from the public domain. PeekYou.com is another one of these sites. They will remove your information if you email them from this link: http://www.peekyou.com/privacy

Thanks IRONRKSNS for providing that link on removing your personal info from the net. While most of the information I've found is phone book-type stuff, it's good to know how to get unlisted. Cheers!
tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 19:30   #44
VoTrooper99
Asset

I have a question that appeals to the broader sense of Team Sergeant's point.

I am considering an enlistment into 19th Group (NG). I'm a cop on the civilian side. This occasionally lands my name and sometimes photograph in the paper and/or television news. Those papers/stations have websites. Further, on occasion my name makes it's way onto Craig's List in the "Rants and Raves" section because a local scumbag did not like my "customer service".

Being in the NG Groups, could this be a hindrance?

Last edited by VoTrooper99; 07-27-2009 at 19:39. Reason: Grammar
VoTrooper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 22:52   #45
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoTrooper99 View Post
I have a question that appeals to the broader sense of Team Sergeant's point.

I am considering an enlistment into 19th Group (NG). I'm a cop on the civilian side. This occasionally lands my name and sometimes photograph in the paper and/or television news. Those papers/stations have websites. Further, on occasion my name makes it's way onto Craig's List in the "Rants and Raves" section because a local scumbag did not like my "customer service".

Being in the NG Groups, could this be a hindrance?
I'd worry more about Angie's List. those b!tcHe$ can be so petty. Smile and say "please". "Ma'am" and "thank you" on those traffic stops!
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote