Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 05-26-2004, 17:36   #46
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Air.177
You realize that inflicting pain on defenseless folks in a chair with their mouth open hardly constitutes "Monkey Stomping" don't you ??

Weapon of choice:
Power drill

Insert Sock Bear comment of your choice Here:
ROTFLMAO
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 18:18   #47
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

From a Guy Jones Perspective
Attached Images
File Type: gif kungfu.gif (14.9 KB, 233 views)
Old 05-26-2004, 18:27   #48
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by Ambush Master
From a Guy Jones Perspective
LMAO!
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 22:43   #49
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Are you claiming to be a bad ass, Saca?
LMAO
LOL... Just having fun counselor. Me no bad ass, me try to use brain to win argument most times, me just listed the only type training I have had. It was very "realistic" though. haha

Bill Harsey- I didn't need to know what kind of formal training you had...I already know you are tough just from hearing your stories about your "Friends" that put raw meat in a fellow logger friend's tent so the bears will attack him just for "fun". HaHA
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:26   #50
Kyobanim

Quote:
Originally posted by Sacamuelas

I am just saying that I have known VERY few people that practiced enough and learned truly valuable techniques that actually help them in a street/bar fight. I know they are out there... No need to tell me about it.

That's because they are taught techniques but not how to commit to the fight.

Problem #2-
Potential Student - "I want to take classes to learn self defense."
Teacher - "Fine. How many times a week are you planning to come in?"
Potential Student - "I'll be here on Wednesday nights. That's my free night."

I've had occasion to use my self defense on 2 occasions, one resulted in a broken wrist to the drunk and the other was just bruised up. But I train 4 days a week several hours a day. People taking MA for self defense just don't do that.

Waste of money, IMO.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:36   #51
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

The same can be said for many things. Many people seem to run from commitment of any kind.

Moving out,

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:40   #52
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

Quote:
Originally posted by Sacamuelas

Bill Harsey- I didn't need to know what kind of formal training you had...I already know you are tough just from hearing your stories about your "Friends" that put raw meat in a fellow logger friend's tent so the bears will attack him just for "fun". HaHA
It was funny, but in fairness to the judgement of my buddies they didn't actually put the meat in the tent, that would have been dangerous. The side of bacon was wired to his ankle and placed outside the tent which the bear drug off with owner of ankle going with it and not having as much fun as the guys watching.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 09:11   #53
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Kyo-

That is exactly what I meant to express in my posts. Thanks for clarifying.

Bill-
Do you really think that explanation makes you or your buds seem calmer or more conservative? LOL You put raw meat ANYWHERE near me when I am sleeping in a tent out in bear country....and you will have witnessed my last day with you as a coworker! haha Throw in that whole "funny" part about wiring the meat to his leg and that is downright fookin crazy!!
Great story!!!
Old 05-27-2004, 09:58   #54
Razor
Quiet Professional

I don't know, Kyo--I'd say that if that person who only comes in once a week because that's all the time they can set aside has the right constitution (frame of mind, mindset, whatever catchphrase you prefer), those few hours a week may be enough. Tactics and techniques can make you more efficient, but its the determination to perservere that is most important.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:11   #55
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor
has the right constitution (frame of mind, mindset, whatever catchphrase you prefer),
Uhhhh.... you mean my redneck terminology "wild dog" attitude
Old 05-27-2004, 10:31   #56
Valhal
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
I don't know Mr. Larkin, but two observations:
1. sets off bells, whistles sirens to me.

2. He is far to pretty to be a Monkey Stomper.

Buyer Beware

You want tapes? Check out Jim Grover/Kelly McCann on Paladin Press. Very good Monkey Stomping. Carl Cestari tapes from the link on Gutter Fighting should be good as well, although I haven't seen them.
All the self hype did raise an eyebrow, but he got a huge endorsment from Matt Fury, author of Combat Conditioning which I own and think highly of. I've heard of Cestari, but not the other two. I'll check it out. Thanks for the info.

Mark
Old 05-27-2004, 10:33   #57
Kyobanim

Quote:
Originally posted by Razor
I don't know, Kyo--I'd say that if that person who only comes in once a week because that's all the time they can set aside has the right constitution (frame of mind, mindset, whatever catchphrase you prefer), those few hours a week may be enough. Tactics and techniques can make you more efficient, but its the determination to perservere that is most important.
Indomitable spirit is what we call that in TKD. Yeah, I can agree that determination to perservere is important. But if you have to think about how to use the self defense in a situation then you've lost half the battle.

In most cases, the first 3 to 5 seconds are going to determine the outcome. Self defense practice should be done like you guys do reaction drills. It needs to be second nature if you plan to rely on it. If not, learn to become a great communicator. Sometimes the mouth is the best type of self defense.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 10:51   #58
Eagle5US
Quiet Professional

commitment to the outcome...not the fight

Watch the movie Lake Placed:
Fat guy:
My folks had lots of money...that means lots of Karate lessons...I have to warn you...
Sherrif:
Slams fist to fat guys nose...
Fat guy:
YOU DIDN'T SAY GO! You are supposed to say "GO!" first!!!

Tossing someone to the mat for 2 points in a tourney is 180 degrees fromtossing them to the pavement outside Bennigan's where he (or his 3 drunk Bud's coming to his rescue) may have knives, guns, pipes, irons, or whatever else is handy.

Agree...3-5 seconds, you opponent should be physically incapacitated (unable to fight) or unconscious and you unassing the AO. If you aren't willing to hurt someone, run early.
All the pretty "after poses" and whatnot can be left to the hollywood "practitioners"

Eagle

Ain't no one getting out of this world alive. All you can do is try to have some choice in the way you go. Prepare yourself (and your affairs), and when your number is up, die on your feet fighting rather than on your knees. And make the SOBs pay dearly."
The Reaper-3 Sep 04
Eagle5US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 13:51   #59
Bill Harsey
Bladesmith to the Quiet Professionals

You guys are on the right track here, end the fight as it begins. Any training can be better than none but for guys especially they may have to unlearn a lot before they once again have useful skills. I was told that women can benifit from day one in martial arts training because they don't have to unlearn poor combat skills that lot's of guys have. That's why we trained the street fighters so hard, so we had a chance to know what they might do (thats supposed to be kinda funny...). I was always concerned that we trained real skills, not just tournament fighting. Oh for the good old days of bare knuckle full contact.

Last edited by Bill Harsey; 05-27-2004 at 13:57.
Bill Harsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 14:36   #60
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Krav Maga, level 2. It's the best deal I found in Houston. 99% Martial, 1% Arts.