Old 02-29-2004, 10:52   #1
Martinez
The Team Sergeants Little Sister

Buker, SGT. Brian L.

Rank and organization: Sergeant, U.S. Army, Detachment B-55, 5th Special Forces Group, 1st Special Forces.

Place and date: Chau Doc Province, Republic of Vietnam, 5 April 1970.

Entered service at: Bangor, Maine.

Born: 3 November 1949, Benton, Maine.

Citation:
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty. Sgt. Buker, Detachment B-55, distinguished himself while serving as a platoon adviser of a Vietnamese mobile strike force company during an offensive mission. Sgt. Buker personally led the platoon, cleared a strategically located well-guarded pass, and established the first foothold at the top of what had been an impenetrable mountain fortress. When the platoon came under the intense fire from a determined enemy located in 2 heavily fortified bunkers, and realizing that withdrawal would result in heavy casualties, Sgt. Buker unhesitatingly, and with complete disregard for his personal safety, charged through the hail of enemy fire and destroyed the first bunker with hand grenades. While reorganizing his men for the attack on the second bunker, Sgt. Buker was seriously wounded. Despite his wounds and the deadly enemy fire, he crawled forward and destroyed the second bunker. Sgt. Buker refused medical attention and was reorganizing his men to continue the attack when he was mortally wounded. As a direct result of his heroic actions, many casualties were averted, and the assault of the enemy position was successful. Sgt. Buker's extraordinary heroism at the cost of his life are in the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit on him, his unit, and the U.S. Army.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buker.jpg (48.7 KB, 74 views)
Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:41   #2
Richard
Quiet Professional

Update - family donated SGT Buker's MOH to his high school alma mater who has initiated a scholarship fund in his honor (video imbed).

Richard

Medal of Honor Donated to Local High School
WAIB-TV News, 16 Sep 2010

A touching donation was made to Lawrence High School Wednesday evening.

The family of Brian Buker donated his Medal of Honor to the school.

Buker, a 1967 graduate of the school, was killed in combat in Vietnam in 1970.

He was part of the Green Beret Special Forces and was on his second tour when he was killed after saving his entire unit.

Buker was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions and Wednesday, that medal was given to Lawrence High School where it will be put on display.

"It's overwhelming to honor Brian like this. It brought tears to my eyes, I'm still having a hard time dealing with it really. I'm so honored everybody's out here to honor him," said Gerald Buker, Brian's brother.

Dan Lawless has also set up a scholarship fun in Brian's name. If you'd like to donate to the fund, you can send the donation to :

The Brian Bunker Memorial Scholarship Fund
Lawrence High School
9 School Street
Fairfield, Maine 04937.

http://www.wabi.tv/news/14258/update...al-high-school
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:08   #3
f50lrrp
BANNED USER

I didn't personally know SGT Buker but I served with the same type of unit (3rd Mobile Strike Force (B-36)). Rest in peace Sgt Buker.
f50lrrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 16:16   #4
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior..............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote