Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Early Bird

Old 10-12-2017, 12:00   #1
Pete
Quiet Professional

Not getting much coverage

The couple being held captive for five years has been released - along with their three children. American wife and Canadian husband.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/12/asia/t...ued/index.html

It's interesting to see how it played out with Pakistan.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:40   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
The husband will not board the plane,
for fear he will be sent to Gitmo..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ban-freed.html

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 13:08   #3
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
The husband will not board the plane,
for fear he will be sent to Gitmo..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ban-freed.html
No problem, the plane can detour and "drop him off" over Canada.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 17:56   #4
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

maybe I'm not a very trusting soul but this all seems a little fishy to me. The radio said today that they were hiking in Asscrackistan when they were captured. From her before capture picture it looks like the only place she ever hiked to was from the couch to the fridge.
Why was he in this country when his former brother-in-law had been captured there fighting US troops?
And such fear of boarding a US plane! The reason he gives doesn't hold water to me. They look well fed and have obviously had plenty of sex in the past five years. The kids even look real healthy.

How convenient it was for the Pakis to start getting some intel and all of a sudden act on it without letting us know. Were the US door kickers gonna find a family living their of their own accord if they went in before the Pakis?

Yeah, yeah, ok maybe I'm being a little hard on these people but he was married to moslem wife before who's brother didn't seem to have a problem fighting against the US.
If I had a spouse I was in captivity with I sure would not want to bring no children into captivity too. A little more careful in the sex dept would have been in order. Makes rescue attempts quite different if they don't know you have quite the family now.

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 19:27   #5
Flagg
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfshooter View Post
maybe I'm not a very trusting soul but this all seems a little fishy to me.
You and me both.

I had just arrived in Afghan on my first trip when this concurrently happened.

I’m no Afghan expert by a long shot, but that Autumn/Winter of 2012 seemed to be a bit of a lull in the crazy of Kabul, with things ratcheting up in 2013/2014 onwards.

Not so much safe, but possible to go out in town to some areas/locations for brief periods without taking crazy risks, until they started getting hit later.

I recall open source reporting of her already heavily pregnant, beginning of 3rd trimester I think? ‘Pinched” on their way to/thru Wardak?

Not only is flying riskier for heavily pregnant women, but as many here know outside of ISAF Medical Support there is extremely limited competent medical care available.

And that’s how they arrived into multi-decade warzone.

A good friend of mine(who’s the most culturally proficient person I know for the area) and I both thought she’d be dead in childbirth, if not already murdered.

To see she’s had 3 children in “captivity”, leaves me wondering if she was ever truly captive.

This just smells funny 7 ways to Sunday.

With the male’s previous associations with some of Canada’s worst imported irregular/political warfare actors, how can this be anything other than accepting risk of infection by a human virus?
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:56   #6
sfshooter
Quiet Professional

I was there in 2007. There were kidnappings then too. buzzing around in Kabul for about a month you would see all kinds of international types there. Things were still active in the city then. It amazed me to see all the western types driving around without security. I remember having a business supper in the Red Hot Sizzlin, a steak house there that was actually decent eating. We were there with security and you could tell others were not.
I have never understood peoples lackadaisical attitude towards the security situation in these countries (Afghanistan/Iraq).

This couple I think were there to provide support for the jihadis. His past connections point towards this. His fear of the US really rings the bells. I think he should be given a room at Club Gitmo and have some long conversations/debriefings about his "captivity".

"I ask you sir, who are the militia? They consist now of the whole people........" George Mason
sfshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 15:58   #7
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

In the report I read, he was supposedly walking the border trails with his then seven month pregnant wife and got grabbed.

If you believe that, I have some oceanfront property in Arizona to sell you.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 16:51   #8
glebo
Quiet Professional

Yeah..."hey honey" I have a great idea, lets go to a war ravaged country and go hike some trails... All the while prego... What can go wrong with that???

Yeah, not buying it...especially the paki's "got intelligence" on them and rescued them...hmmm, why didn't it happen to OBL??? or BHO??