Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 08-14-2017, 07:17   #31
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
Actually there is........ and it's on the market. Soon the fundamentals you speak of will be out the door.

https://www.tracking-point.com/

Very very soon it will be point in the general direction and push a button.
The Army will need to increase upper body strength requirements to lug around a 12 pound rifle and its ammo!
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:49   #32
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
The Army will need to increase upper body strength requirements to lug around a 12 pound rifle and its ammo!
Did you ever carry an M1 Garand with basic load?? 12lbs, plus.
Or M14 or L1a1 or M60 or .......

In WWII the standard load for the M1 Garand was only 80 rounds, but in Nam my troops carried 420(21qty 20rd mags).

Infantry will carry what ever they need, based on mission and resupply timing.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:52   #33
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblhead672 View Post
How about a $500 rifle that does ok on the battlefield and you only have to carry a basic load of lets say, 200-300 rounds. Or how about a 12 lb rifle that you only need 50-100 rounds for.......

Careful Squidward, you're entering a ground combat discussion.
Old 08-14-2017, 13:38   #34
bblhead672
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Did you ever carry an M1 Garand with basic load?? 12lbs, plus.
Or M14 or L1a1 or M60 or .......

In WWII the standard load for the M1 Garand was only 80 rounds, but in Nam my troops carried 420(21qty 20rd mags).

Infantry will carry what ever they need, based on mission and resupply timing.
Quote:
How about a $500 rifle that does ok on the battlefield and you only have to carry a basic load of lets say, 200-300 rounds. Or how about a 12 lb rifle that you only need 50-100 rounds for.......

Careful Squidward, you're entering a ground combat discussion.
Sorry, forgot my sarcasm font.

Was trying to cross reference the debate about decreased requirements for women combat troops.
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 17:39   #35
TacOfficer
Guerrilla

To whom.......

I completely agree with the analogy "it's the Indian, not the bow" vis a vis training and practice, but should advancements in body armor, as the general suggests, have an impact on the choice between a carbine or battle rifle?

Do are rivals even issue body armor to their infantry? It seems like top drawer equipment that is very expensive for million man armies to issue.

Last edited by TacOfficer; 08-14-2017 at 18:06.
TacOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 21:10   #36
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
How are they?

(Never used a Scar.)
bit bulky but they run well its gas piston.
I don't like the charging handle on them could have made it none reciprocating like the G-3.

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:20   #37
JamesIkanov
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacOfficer View Post
To whom.......

I completely agree with the analogy "it's the Indian, not the bow" vis a vis training and practice, but should advancements in body armor, as the general suggests, have an impact on the choice between a carbine or battle rifle?

Do are rivals even issue body armor to their infantry? It seems like top drawer equipment that is very expensive for million man armies to issue.

I know Russia does, but I couldn't tell you how widely it's issued right now. I was under the impression for a while that Russia mostly issued soft shrapnel panels, but apparently they started a modernization program a few years ago that puts them on parity with ESAPI. Not sure how successful it's been but apparently that's their new standard issue kit, along with the AK12. They have their own standards that are joint military/police, because Russia. Scroll down a bit, they're in there. My best guess says they're pushing for a 6 or 7 rated standard issue plate. Various Russian SF units are generally equipped with an equivalent plate, AFAIK.

http://dacsarmored.com/normas/DIN52290.pdf

I don't think China does.

http://www.defenseone.com/threats/20...fantry/102654/

As for insurgents/terror groups..... well, that depends entirely on the group, money, location, local legal concerns, planning concerns, and probably a million other things I don't know about or won't think of.

There's probably a lot "black market" armor floating around (not that armor is particularly regulated, usually) but most of it is soft or NIJ 3 equivalent, so I can't see any real bonus.

That said, reading between the fine lines, I'm not sure I'd say complete coincidence that the interest in advanced armor penetrating rounds is coming in as Russia finalizes it's armor modernization program..... but that is just speculation.

IMO, given modern armor systems, I'd say that the primary concern for beating rifle rated armor is bullet construction and materials... not caliber. If it can stop 5.56 it can probably stop .308/7.62x51 as well. If it can't stop 7.62 AP, then 5.56 AP is also likely going to poke holes in it. Likely. There is some room for error there, but I can't think of a 7.62 bullet that will beat a class of armor that doesn't have a 5.56 bullet "cousin" that will beat that same armor. Example being that M80A1 and M855A1 both beat NIJ 3 armors but both fail against NIJ 4 armors, and that the M995 Tungsten/Steel 5.56 AP will beat NIJ 4 armor..... exactly the same as the 7.62 equivalent.

There are a bunch of reasons why someone might want to switch out 6.5mm for 5.56, and basically all of them are for increased terminal performance or range advantages... whether that's a worthwhile trade off is something I'm not sure I'm qualified to discuss. Main point being that as far as I can tell there's not much performance against body armor reasons to switch caliber as long as you're staying between .223 and .30-06.

Maybe this will help clear things up in terms of what the point of this program is (page 38):

http://www.dtic.mil/descriptivesum/Y..._5_PB_2017.pdf

The program in the OP is (speculatively) because they want rifles that can work with the ammo mentioned in this post in wide usage that don't suck. I speculate, that the main point of going with 7.62 first over 5.56 is that they want it in MGs first. This is mentioned explicitly in the program text above, although I don't understand enough of small arms doctrine (right word?) to understand why they would prioritize having AP for MGs in widespread use over carbines and individually issued weapons......

I hope everything I am typing is tracking logically. It fits together pretty neatly for me, but I don't know if I'm really expressing the point correctly.
JamesIkanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:54   #38
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

How about just using the money for rifle training and optics so the soldier can see at 600m. Cut the EO/PC classes out and train the war fighter to do his job.

CD
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:43   #39
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combat Diver View Post
How about just using the money for rifle training and optics so the soldier can see at 600m. Cut the EO/PC classes out and train the war fighter to do his job.
This line of thinking is unacceptable - how can you support teaching people how to be more violent and lethal as preferable to teaching dignity, respect, and tolerance?

...in fact, since you did not specifically denounce sexism, transphobia, and bigotry as problems facing our troops, I am going to hold you in low esteem until I can become outraged about something else.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 09:05   #40
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box View Post
This line of thinking is unacceptable - how can you support teaching people how to be more violent and lethal as preferable to teaching dignity, respect, and tolerance?

...in fact, since you did not specifically denounce sexism, transphobia, and bigotry as problems facing our troops, I am going to hold you in low esteem until I can become outraged about something else.
So,,
We're talking what??
20 minutes??
Do I have time to get another cup of coffee??

LMAO

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 22:12   #41
G2squared
Auxiliary

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7624U View Post
bit bulky but they run well its gas piston.
I don't like the charging handle on them could have made it none reciprocating like the G-3.
I agree about the charging handle. I've hit my thumb with it a couple times. Didn't hurt so much, but did cause a malfunction. There is an aftermarket adapter to convert it to non-reciprocating but add that to the already expensive $2500+ and just keep throwing money at it! and you have to be careful what mags you use with them to prevent bolt damage from the bolt catch. It doesn't center on the mag well and with anything older than GEN 3 MAGPUL or just a std mil spec metal mag there may be issues with it holding the bolt catch up a little and causing problems. Easy enough to fix, but weird that they designed them that way.
I love the way my SCAR 16 shoots and ergonomics are very similar to AR15/M16/M4 series rifles. Super clean to shoot, but the action is also very noisy! Much louder than most ARs I've shot and owned. Accuracy is fair, but not great at about 1-1.5MOA with 69gr match ammo, I expected better for that kind of money. And unfortunately EVERYTHING for the SCARs are VERY expensive. swap a barrel for $1000!! When the Army is spending $400/M16A2 it's hard to see them shelling out that kind of money to go with SCARs...

FWIW
g
G2squared is offline   Reply With Quote