Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 09-16-2017, 13:30   #61
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdengler View Post
Man so I guess I was suckered��
Well, there is training and there is training so maybe aye?

OTOH, since you are armed and dangerous .......
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 18:15   #62
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Ah great for you so cool �� I have not been shooting since August. I think my instructor only wants to get into my pants lol. Time to find another one �� hope you continue ��
Well Rita,

My instructor was SF, but more importantly is someone I trust after getting to know them over the last decade.

It is very important to be with an instructor you trust, since after all, you are putting your training for personal self defense in their hands.

And when it comes to learning proper safety and security of your weapon, you want to have that trust that they know WTH they are talking about, IMHO.

Learn hard, but enjoy the process! Maybe bring a freshly baked pie to your trainer...you never know... But the point is, learn all you can from a highly trained Professional. You never know if one day your life may depend on that training.

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 19:29   #63
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Man so I guess I was suckered�� apparently he was SF but who knows. Ok now I need a new instructor any takers lol��
If an instructor claims SF status just ask us to vet him.....a place where you can move and shoot, once skilled enough to do so is important and most ranges do not allow that.
This should also be combined with home protection/shooting skills that include family members...what 'ifs'....
Drawing, acquiring, gauging beyond the target (collateral damage), engaging/nullifying target and 360 degree security should be seamless .
Luck (and luck comes with practice)
Old 09-17-2017, 05:47   #64
rsdengler
Area Commander

LOL.. Really, I do trust, and have confidence in my instructor. When I went to my first lesson, he did teach me a lot, and believe me it takes time to process. He was patient, explained everything, taught me the right way to stand, posture, what to look for when shooting at a target, let me know what I needed to work on, etc. There is a lot that goes through your head, and you know that it takes more than one time shooting to gain more confidence, and techniques. I had fun, and we do get along well, and still do. And yes, there is a mutual attraction between us, but training is training and when I am there, that is what we should focus on.

I do have problem areas I need to address, and have not been able to do so. I was supposed to have training last week, but his schedule was full because of the prior weekend which was rained out. I do need a set time, schedule because I want to be able to go out at least twice a month to shoot and work on gaining experience. And to just be more comfortable with a handgun and know what I am doing. As of right now I am going through some marriage issues and “if, if” in the near future I have to be “on my own” again, I want to be able to protect myself. It is a strange world out there today, and if I have to start over, I want to be able to have the ability and confidence to do it on my own.

Thanks again guys, I guess I will try to work this out on my own.

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita

Last edited by rsdengler; 09-17-2017 at 12:50.
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:22   #65
PRB
Quiet Professional

A suggestion or two as you sound serious about this.

What you are doing is learning/practicing a martial art...think about it in that manner.

Presently you are learning mechanical and motor skills/co ordination....that is kata, the basic moves properly applied.

Most never get beyond that phase. They can be good shots but that is not what you are seeking.

The mental attitude and projection that makes one a warrior is as, if not more, important. Many in SF call it being 'switched on' and that is a guy who can go from casual conversation and at ease into serious killing mode immediately....because he has internalized the attitude....I could give you examples and in essence that is what edge a small ODA has over larger units.
The 'mode' is precise/controlled/lethal and instantaneous if the individual is mentally prepared.......this is what good team training results in.

Not easily acquired in your situation but not impossible either.
Old 09-17-2017, 13:57   #66
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
A suggestion or two as you sound serious about this.

What you are doing is learning/practicing a martial art...think about it in that manner.

Presently you are learning mechanical and motor skills/co ordination....that is kata, the basic moves properly applied.

Most never get beyond that phase. They can be good shots but that is not what you are seeking.

The mental attitude and projection that makes one a warrior is as, if not more, important. Many in SF call it being 'switched on' and that is a guy who can go from casual conversation and at ease into serious killing mode immediately....because he has internalized the attitude....I could give you examples and in essence that is what edge a small ODA has over larger units.
The 'mode' is precise/controlled/lethal and instantaneous if the individual is mentally prepared.......this is what good team training results in.

Not easily acquired in your situation but not impossible either.

I should open a shooting dojo?

"The Yin & Yang of shooting......"

"Achieving shot group nirvana"

Old 09-17-2017, 14:38   #67
PRB
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I should open a shooting dojo?

"The Yin & Yang of shooting......"

"Achieving shot group nirvana"

You know the deal.....and if not mentally practiced the switch can go into the off position.

Martial art is martial art.....

The difference between punching holes in paper and punching holes in a person....the reason the military when to human silhouettes and quick kill courses....at the basic level.
Old 09-17-2017, 16:00   #68
rsdengler
Area Commander

LOL...a lot of deep mental thinking in those posts. I may need to do some yoga to clear my mind, loosen my body, and Zen out a bit. I do understand about "preparing" the mind when shooting, it is all in how you get there. Or I may need to just watch a "Kung Foo" movie....

Oh, and thank you for the suggestions, I really do appreciate it. The more advice I can get is so very helpful

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita

Last edited by rsdengler; 09-17-2017 at 16:07.
Old 09-17-2017, 17:40   #69
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Learning to shoot long range takes some thinking (300+ meters) Under that, it's not too difficult, but if you're not in shape it makes it difficult.

Until Tiger Woods started playing golf many "pro" golfers were fat guys. Tiger changed that. Yeah, you can be fat and shoot, but, you better have some upper body strength if you want to be good at it.
Old 09-19-2017, 15:01   #70
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Firearms Training?

Shooting at People who are shooting at you with the intent to KILL you is Abstract for almost everyone including military, law enforcement, let alone the average citizen. The Military can Train soldiers for combat, The Police Academy can Train Law Enforcement personnel for shoot- no shoot encounters; BUT, Until you are in a gun fight, firefight or armed combat the Psychological cost of Kill or be Killed becomes instantaneous. You do it or Don't do it; There is no try
Regards,

Tom Kelly
Old 10-03-2017, 12:51   #71
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes View Post
Wanted to update;

Went shooting recently with a friend in CO, outside a cabin built in the 1800's. No electric or water, just a very rustic environment that provided an excellent spot to set up targets, and a range.

Shot a Sig Sauer, and a 1911, which I fell in love with, but am going to start with the 9mm as my first purchase.

Also a mini cross bow, and fantastic shot gun shooting clay targets, which my friend obliterated.

Had great eye and ear protection, very important to have.

Learned the basics of how to load and unload the weapons, and tips on what to do/ not do on a public range with the weapons.

All in all, a tremendous undertaking on a short timeline, but well worth the effort.

Attached some pics, and am hopeful to return soon and learn even more.

Safety First is my motto, and it is definitely something to respect when learning to fire these weapons.

Holly
Hi Holly:

Have you gone to anymore training classes recently? I think that I may try to look for another instructor and training facility around me. I was looking at a place in PA, one in Frederick MD, and one near me. I have to do a bit more research and ask some questions. I know the one in PA I need my own handgun, so I guess I have to get my rear out there and do some more "handgun" testing. I think I will do some this Friday after work. Oh, and thanks again to everyone that provided such great advice and information. Plus, I need to occupy my weekends and this is what I really want to do, more training.

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
Old 10-03-2017, 13:01   #72
echoes
Area Commander

Rita,

PM, inbound.

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 13:03   #73
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Hi Holly:

Have you gone to anymore training classes recently? I think that I may try to look for another instructor and training facility around me. I was looking at a place in PA, one in Frederick MD, and one near me. I have to do a bit more research and ask some questions. I know the one in PA I need my own handgun, so I guess I have to get my rear out there and do some more "handgun" testing. I think I will do some this Friday after work. Oh, and thanks again to everyone that provided such great advice and information. Plus, I need to occupy my weekends and this is what I really want to do, more training.
Rita

Be very very careful about crossing state lines with a weapon and/or ammo. Not sure where you are in Maryland, but Jersey and DC are definitely no-mans land, to be avoided at all costs....

I would strongly suggest you talk to the range owners/instructors about renting weapons and purchasing ammo, while out of state. Good chance there might be a discount for students.

Be Safe,, & Careful..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 13:14   #74
rsdengler
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Rita

Be very very careful about crossing state lines with a weapon and/or ammo. Not sure where you are in Maryland, but Jersey and DC are definitely no-mans land, to be avoided at all costs....

I would strongly suggest you talk to the range owners/instructors about renting weapons and purchasing ammo, while out of state. Good chance there might be a discount for students.

Be Safe,, & Careful..
Thanks JJ, I know that the instructors in PA will travel to a gun range in my area, they would have to do a site visit first. I don't want to travel across state lines with a weapon, so if I could do the training at a gun range near me, that would be the best (I am not far from PA, about 7 miles). The range near me does rent weapons, and they supply ammo if I were to go to that one. I want to handle more weapons before I decide on purchasing one. That is why I rather visit a range that provides these services, and I really want a instructor so I can continue training.

I will be careful, and safe and make sure I do my research first...Thanks again

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita

Last edited by rsdengler; 10-03-2017 at 13:40.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:02   #75
frostfire
Area Commander

Rita, quick tip from my own personal journey towards marksmanship excellence is having a solid role model. Someone to show that you don’t need easy, just possible. That impossible is indeed spelled I’m possible. Many members on this board and the old souls at the firing line have been that figure to me.

Google Ashley Rheuark and her dry fire regimen. IMHOO, she embodies a dedicated (humble) professional even at her age

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote