Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 12-04-2016, 17:38   #1
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Smoked pork spare ribs

If you have been stationed in the Ft. Lewis/JBLM area, and are a carnivore, you've probably been to Stewart's Meats. Stewart's is a family owned, old school butcher shop that's been around since about 1933, and it's a required stop when I feel like firing up the smoker.

With two racks of Stewart's pork spare ribs and the Seahawks playing the Sunday night game, an early start was required. On the West Coast that game kicks off at 1730.

Getting the ribs a day early gave me the head start I needed. Taking them out of the fridge this morning, they got a coating of French's yellow mustard and a heavy dusting of a dry rub I found at Cabela's. I fired up the smoker and let the rub work its magic while the Masterbuilt got up to temperature.

After six hours on apple wood smoke at 225 degrees the ribs were ready well before the game. They were fantastic, as were the Seahawks, 40-7 over the Panthers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spare ribs mustard.jpg (69.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg spare ribs dry rub.jpg (79.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg spare ribs done.jpg (62.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg spare ribs smoked.jpg (59.4 KB, 53 views)
Old 12-05-2016, 00:53   #2
cbtengr
Area Commander

Looking good !
Old 12-05-2016, 01:29   #3
Sohei
Area Commander

Beautiful work! There is no doubt you had some good eating!
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:20   #4
Penn
Area Commander

I'm salivating looking at the perfect rib, Congrats!!!
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:01   #5
tonyz
Area Commander

Wow, those ribs look phenomenal - instant priapism !!

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:50   #6
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

My wife shredded the pork on about half the 2nd rack. She mixed it with cream cheese and a touch of Sweet Baby Ray's, then baked it in the oven. What came out was an amazing spread for crackers.
Old 12-05-2016, 14:33   #7
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
My wife shredded the pork on about half the 2nd rack. She mixed it with cream cheese and a touch of Sweet Baby Ray's, then baked it in the oven. What came out was an amazing spread for crackers.
Do you deliver?

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 16:00   #8
Kat
Asset

Just left Twitter with a GA rub with a hot ending and get here to see that slab of ribs...and still no dinner for me. They look wonderful. Any have any luck with ribs from Costco? the meat is really pretty good but wonder if a true butcher might be the way to go?
Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:23   #9
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
Just left Twitter with a GA rub with a hot ending and get here to see that slab of ribs...and still no dinner for me. They look wonderful. Any have any luck with ribs from Costco? the meat is really pretty good but wonder if a true butcher might be the way to go?
For me, nearest Costco is over 30 minutes away while the butcher is less than 5. That said, there is probably nothing wrong with getting meat there. However, I prefer knowing that my meat came from local farms.

Many of the people on smokingmeatforums.com (a wealth of info!) do buy in bulk from Costco.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:25   #10
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
That's some good stuff there! Been using that for years.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:31   #11
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
That's some good stuff there! Been using that for years.
It's a deadline gig if our kitchen is ever out. That, and running out of Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:26   #12
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
I get great Baby Back Ribs at the local Walmart and generally at a pretty good price,
$3.44 a pound today.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:44   #13
Kat
Asset

Quote:
For me, nearest Costco is over 30 minutes away while the butcher is less than 5. That said, there is probably nothing wrong with getting meat there. However, I prefer knowing that my meat came from local farms.

Many of the people on smokingmeatforums.com (a wealth of info!) do buy in bulk from Costco.
Thanks, I live in an area saturated with Costco as we are the home of Costco. That being said I know they hand butcher some of the cuts, and I have hand some incredible steaks.

I am sure fresh meat is superior, especially if you have the entire order hand cut from one side of beef. I will check the site you posted. I like to BBQ a large amount of meat them vacuum seal it in smaller portions for one person.
Old 12-06-2016, 07:46   #14
Kat
Asset

Quote:
It's a deadline gig if our kitchen is ever out. That, and running out of Parmigiano-Reggiano.
Ever make a crustless pizza from Parm-Reg? That stuff is like 550 cord, useful in many ways.
Old 12-07-2016, 16:07   #15
Penn
Area Commander

DM
Quote:
Costco carries three grades of meat. and can be readily identified as they are color coded, in addition to a price contrast. Prime avg $18-22 per pound.

If you are buying whole cuts, not pre-portioned, Ribs, Tenderloins, Prime Ribs, Filet, or NY Sirloin, Prime packages are all marked in red lettering on the wrap, Choice is in Blue, and the lowest grade, Select is in black lettering.

95% of all beef sold is boxed beef. So, if you are getting your meat "fresh", that would imply, you met the steer before it was harvested. Otherwise, there is a very high probability that your grass feed beef from the local butcher was cryovac, prior to your purchase.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote