Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 06-26-2017, 19:17   #1171
cjwils3
Guerrilla

Speaking of hot dogs, I made a "Michigan" a few weeks ago that was really good. You can buy the special sauce at most mainline grocery stores (it's probably produced en masse in Michigan), steam the buns, boil the hot dogs, and serve it with mustard and chopped onions. I think it fits very well as a lunch dish!!
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in that grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt
cjwils3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:49   #1172
rsdengler
Area Commander

Wow...Thanks, and all I have is a bowl of Cheerios.....

I'll even fork out some money if one of you would gladly make me one of those nice meals and send it my way.....except for "Spam"

-Benjamin Franklin

Rita
rsdengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:26   #1173
cbtengr
Area Commander

Michigan Blueberries

The berries are in and I have me a 10# box, made some pie filling today. They are really big and sweet. Will also make some syrup and freeze a bunch of whole berries.

BB3.jpg BB2.jpg
Old 07-11-2017, 10:56   #1174
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
The berries are in and I have me a 10# box, made some pie filling today. They are really big and sweet. Will also make some syrup and freeze a bunch of whole berries.
Save enough to actually put IN the pancakes! (I'll be right down.)

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:10   #1175
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Save enough to actually put IN the pancakes! (I'll be right down.)
Trust me we will.
Old 07-11-2017, 15:00   #1176
doctom54
Quiet Professional

Catfish freshly caught from the river out back of the house, rolled in cornflour and fried. Fresh tomatoes from the garden and baked potato wedges.
Old 07-22-2017, 16:25   #1177
cbtengr
Area Commander

Have all these blueberries so I thought better do something with them, the bars were pretty good so I decided I better get another 10# of berries. Badger52 give me a heads up when you are gonna come down.

BB Bars.jpg
Old 07-23-2017, 08:37   #1178
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

https://www.facebook.com/buzzfeedtas...ns&pnref=story

Just finished off the left overs from last weeks recipe experiment. Really worth a go if you like pork tacos. I cooked at 250 for 3.5 hours instead of the recommended 350 for 1 hour. Used 3 extra metal skewers to keep the tower from falling over. Was REALLY nice!

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol

Last edited by blue02hd; 07-26-2017 at 05:28.
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 12:13   #1179
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue02hd View Post

Just finished off the left overs from last weeks recipe experiment. Really worth a go if you like pork tacos. I cooked at 250 for 350 degrees instead of the recommended 350 for 1 hour. Used 3 extra metal skewers to keep the tower from falling over. Was REALLY nice!
Looks really good and pretty simple, that method probably renders the fat out of that pork shoulder pretty good. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2017, 20:30   #1180
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbtengr View Post
Looks really good and pretty simple, that method probably renders the fat out of that pork shoulder pretty good. Thanks!
Thanks for that, blue. Looks like I'm going to have to try it this week. I have a picnic roast that looks fatty enough to be good.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 19:29   #1181
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:

I cooked at 250 for 350 degrees instead of the recommended 350 for 1 hour.
Need a clarification: What was the time? Trying this tomorrow.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 07-26-2017, 05:29   #1182
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

I meant to say 250 degrees for 3.5 hours. Silly fingers! I had meat sweats as I was typing the original post.

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 15:00   #1183
Rumblyguts
Guerrilla

Summer memories

Our daughter has always had an interest in cooking; Chopped, Cupcake Wars, etc. are staples on TV. A couple years ago we gave her some professional cooking lessons as a Christmas gift. She's enjoyed cooking for us, but things are really taking off.

This summer, she put together a list of countries and regions with the intent to cook from one area per month. Well, she and we enjoy it so much that her 6th grade brother has joined in with preparing his own (with mom's help) meals as well. Over the past month, we've had meals from Hawaii, France, Morocco, China and Brazil. Each kiddo makes a meal complete with a Powerpoint and regional music while we eat. They're making some good food, and judging from the smiles on their faces, some good fun. It's just something that they want to do

France: ratatouille, chicken francese, madelines (shaped as Star Wars charachters...hey, the chef is a 6th grade boy This was a yummy meal!

China: Marinated chicken, handmade eggrolls, hand made sweet wontons

Brazil: Brazilian Chicken A Mineira, Po de Queijo (cheese bread), and Beijinho de Coco (coconut candy, super sweet)

Morocco: citrus shrimp, couscous w/vegetables and gold raisins, dill sauce and sfenj (basically donuts) So yummy!
Rumblyguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 21:48   #1184
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:

Just finished off the left overs from last weeks recipe experiment. Really worth a go if you like pork tacos. I cooked at 250 for 3.5 hours instead of the recommended 350 for 1 hour. Used 3 extra metal skewers to keep the tower from falling over. Was REALLY nice!
Well, I had to do a little re-engineering. I switched from the Pisa School to the Egyptian School. I think I'll do it on a rotisserie spit next time.

I thought the roast was boneless but it wasn't, so I made pork stock, too. It was a big bone so I'm going to save it for making a remouillage (a procedure that I just learned making the stock and a word that I can't pronounce).

The outcome was very tasty. Besides the ancho chili, I used hot chili powder that we bought in Hatch, NM. I'll use more next time for a little more heat and probably add a little minced garlic for personal taste.

Over all, it's a relatively easy meal except for that stacking thing.

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Porky Pyramid.jpg (47.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by PSM; 07-26-2017 at 22:07. Reason: Added pic
Old 07-27-2017, 13:38   #1185
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Well, I had to do a little re-engineering. I switched from the Pisa School to the Egyptian School. I think I'll do it on a rotisserie spit next time.

I thought the roast was boneless but it wasn't, so I made pork stock, too. It was a big bone so I'm going to save it for making a remouillage (a procedure that I just learned making the stock and a word that I can't pronounce).

The outcome was very tasty. Besides the ancho chili, I used hot chili powder that we bought in Hatch, NM. I'll use more next time for a little more heat and probably add a little minced garlic for personal taste.

Over all, it's a relatively easy meal except for that stacking thing.

Pat

remouillage

us chefs just call it a second stock........

Not sure I'd take the time and effort to make a second stock unless I had a lot, and I mean a lot of bones.

Do you roast your bones before making the stocks?