Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Professional Soldiers ® "Hall of Shame" > "Hall of Shame Inductees"

Old 12-03-2010, 08:10   #31
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

He had that truck pre-po'd there so as to obscure the view of his lair.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:49   #32
Richard
Quiet Professional

Classic.

The Real Life Call of Duty Q&A

Quote:
Could your stories be turned into game sequences?

Yes, many could. In fact, I have many more unique and fascinating experiences that have never been seen in Game World. Ideally, the Gamer would be able to select his or her strategies or develop their own.

Perhaps the most interesting and important element of my stories is that the readers get to ‘meet’ some of the people I worked with who are now dead.

Most of my former Teammates lost their lives in service to this great nation.

What's inaccurate about the Call of Duty:Black Ops Cover Graphic?

Both of the Model 1911 pistols held by the operative on the cover and posters cannot not function as depicted! Let’s take it from the top:

The 1911 Model pistol on viewer-right is painted with the thumb safety up and the hammer down, something that can’t physically be done with this style pistol. The thumb safety can only be engaged (pushed up) when the hammer is cocked. The only reason for a hammer to be cocked is when a round is in the chamber. Thus the phrase, “Cocked and locked,” was developed.

Both of the operator’s fingers are on the triggers of both pistols in violation of Firearms Safety Rule #2. Does anyone think pros don’t follow Firearms Safety Rules? Let’s put it this way: I never wanted to explain to what’s left of my Team why I allowed some idiot to put his finger on the trigger before his sights were on a target.

The pistol on viewer-left has the hammer down with the operative’s finger on the trigger. If he pulls the trigger with all his might with the pistol in this condition, it will not fire which is a good thing. If the pistols did fire he would shoot his own feet, which is why the second firearms safety rule is important.

Technically, the pistol on viewer’s left is in one of two states:

1.A condition where a round is in the chamber and the hammer has been lowered (not a safe practice because it can’t be fired without first cocking the hammer and the hammer can fire the round if something snags the hammer, partially cocking and releasing it before the sear engages the hammer’s safety notch), or

2.There is no round in the chamber and the trigger was pulled to let the hammer fall on an empty chamber. With both pistols as depicted, they cannot be fired by pulling either trigger. One person asked me if the pistol on viewer left could have just been fired until empty. When a 1911-Style pistol in proper operating condition with a magazine inserted (the base of the magazine can be seen in the painting) is fired until empty, the slide stays in the reward position, ready to load a fresh magazine. So the answer is no, it wasn’t fired dry – which is a very bad practice in reality.

Finally, the operators I’ve worked with think the kill tally scratched on the slide of the pistol on viewer’s right is ridiculous. No pro I worked with would do this because (1) it scratches one’s fighting instrument, disrespecting it, and (2), simply put, even with smaller spacing between the marks, there isn’t enough room on the whole gun!

This artwork is a massively-promoted mistake by a company that prides itself on presenting Game World in the most realistic way possible. These are brilliant people, so this must be somewhat embarrassing for them for a few minutes, or at least until they got to the bank.

What could you tell Gamers about real combat, that would surprise them?

There are several places in the world where we can go right now to experience real combat in just a few hours. Most people in the US are not aware that life-and-death combat is that close by.

We all realize that there are many differences between Game World and Real World combat, but perhaps the most surprising and seldom mentioned is the effect of raw uncertainty that’s always present in real combat.

Standing in the midst of combat in Game World we all absolutely know, so well that we don’t’ think about it, that we’re going to stop playing the game and get a sandwich, go skateboarding, or do the next thing.

This knowledge is part of our stability. We draw comfort from it. Most of us take our home for granted in such a foundational way that we rely upon the permanence of it without realizing it. We get quite upset when our homes are threatened or destroyed.

Normally, we pay little attention to what surrounds most of us at home. It doesn’t cross our minds as we play at combat.

But in Real World combat zones the reverse is true. You are away from home or maybe fighting for your home. You can no longer count on anything around you to be permanent, not people, not places, not things, and you don’t know if you’re going to be lying on the ground screaming as you die, have a hand blown off, or be instantly dead – and this is the kicker – from one second to the next!

Living with this constant uncertainty, not being able to take a break from it, is the underlying stressor that causes people to fall apart in active combat zones more often than actual fighting does.

But even being in the action, fighting in a combat zone, ending other people’s lives, makes that nagging uncertainty worse because doing it to others increases the realization that others can do it to you.

And this is the unsettling thing one sees in the eyes of many veterans who were in combat in all wars. They look at you but you can’t keep their attention; you clearly see them but their perception is that nothing around them, not even you, is permanent. They rediscover you after just a few seconds, over and over again.

Be kind to these injured people, these brave veterans, when you come across them. They mean no disrespect. Thank them, for they have given far more than their physical wounds. They have sacrificed their peace of mind for your way of life.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/intervi...ll-of-Duty-Q-A
I wonder what these 'realistic' gamers would think if they knew the truth about ol' Wulfie.

And so it goes...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:31   #33
perdurabo
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Sounds like one of those troublemaking bedwetters that invertebrate parents with absolutely no parenting skills send to the Marine Military Academy in Harlingen, TX.

"He Came to Us a Young Boy...He Graduated a Young Man!"

Richard
I remember there being a parallel group like ours that was "USMC style". "Bull Pups" seems hazily familiar. It was more military boy scouts-style than screwup-fixup style.

We poked fun at them because they didn't get to do the Rambo stuff, instead focusing on "boring" stuff like character and discipline, two important things our group "forgot" to teach. In hindsight, we got the short end of the stick.

But just because the group may have existed doesn't mean he was ever affiliated with it.

Wolfgang isn't responding to email requests, but he is reading them, he's triggering my embedded "web bugs". I got hits pretty quickly after I sent them.
perdurabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:51   #34
perdurabo
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stindoor View Post
He had that truck pre-po'd there so as to obscure the view of his lair.
A quick tip that helps in some cases:

If you're reconing a location in Google Street View and the location you're interesting in is obscured, you can try a few different things:

1. Move up or down the street in street view and adjust the camera angle accordingly. This works great for examples like this, with moving objects like this truck.

2. Use the geolocation features of vast picture collection sites like Flickr, Picasa, and Twitpic. Between these sites, there's a vast amount of location data available. Most smartphones geotag their photos with lat/long by default and users don't even realize it (maybe privacy IS dead .

TinEye.com is also very helpful in some cases. It's a "reverse image search engine". It allows you to upload an image and get back similar (but not necessarily the same) images.

As an aside, I've begun sketching out some ideas in regards to a photo terrain search engine. The idea is to take a photo that contains a mountain/hill/etc, convert the visible bits to a scaled 2D plot and then either query Google's GIS data (unlikely currently, due to the # of lookups we're talking about) or query through a GIS data set downloaded locally. Today's powerful GPUs (video card chips) should make this pretty feasible even on a single modestly-powered consumer PC.

We'll see if I ever actually get anywhere with that. If you have any thoughts or ideas, shoot me a PM. I've derailed this topic enough.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:09   #35
The Lunchbox
Quiet Professional

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story.

He and Dillard are from Washington. Maybe they collaborated?
The Lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:12   #36
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by perdurabo View Post
A quick tip that helps in some cases:

If you're reconing a location in Google Street View and the location you're interesting in is obscured, you can try a few different things:

1. Move up or down the street in street view and adjust the camera angle accordingly. This works great for examples like this, with moving objects like this truck.
I actually knew this...but was having fun with the timing of the truck passing the camera.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 13:29   #37
GratefulCitizen
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by perdurabo View Post
I'll just stick to PGP/GnuPG, thanks Wolfy!
Odds are, wolfgang can break your PGP with his super-secret quantum computer running Shor's algorithm.

He could tell you about it, but then he would have to...well, you know.
"Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap." -Ecclesiastes 11:4 (NIV)
GratefulCitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 13:30   #38
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

OK guys.I'm in a VFW thats loaded with Marines(total red necks but really great guys)
I'm going to drop his name and the print outs on him.........I'm sure they'll take it from here..........I'll let you know how their follow up turns out.....

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 15:12   #39
wet dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
Could we get the LEO cut on these AKA's.
Can he register as a vote with an assumed name??
Same with the FAA registration of the plane??

Also sounds like there should be a green card somewhere??

PS: WD your post is already indexed to google.. That's Fast,, Wonder if Wolf-gang-bang is reading??
I got the intel from another here at PS.com that was sent to me in a PM last night.

I'd like to throw him another "satchel charge" and toss him for Height and Distance.
Old 12-03-2010, 16:00   #40
akv
Area Commander

The Tactical EL Presidente

Quote:
This drill represents the worst scenario in real life gunfights. Three opponents in a line can visit fire upon you at once, what you see below is Wolfgang in one smooth motion firing one shot in each of the opponents, and two in the third, before moving back to finish them off.
Linked video demonstrates, and then underneath audio explains rationale.

http://wolfganghammersmith.com/2010/...el-presidente/
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
akv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 16:14   #41
perdurabo
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by akv View Post
Linked video demonstrates, and then underneath audio explains rationale.

http://wolfganghammersmith.com/2010/...el-presidente/
I'll definitely take this training to heart the next time I'm attacked by 3 stationary, identical adult triplets lined up in a row. Hopefully, I'll never run into quadruplets.
Old 12-03-2010, 16:15   #42
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Linked video demonstrates]
"The Tactical El Presidente:

This drill represents the worst scenario in real life gunfights. Three opponents in a line can visit fire upon you at once, what you see below is Wolfgang in one smooth motion firing one shot in each of the opponents, and two in the third, before moving back to finish them off."

Huh???? Really????????

Posers be damned, IMHO!!!

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 18:10   #43
akv
Area Commander

Disconnect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdurabo
I'll definitely take this training to heart the next time I'm attacked by 3 stationary, identical adult triplets lined up in a row. Hopefully, I'll never run into quadruplets.
Yes, though I wondered if the real BTDT types would christen this the " Ball Less Dummy" drill.

Seriously though, I question if guys like this and that "A$$-Junk Professor" from Monterey are further evidence of the growing disconnect Kaplan mentioned between the average citizen in our society and those who defend it. Con men who fleece folks are as old as the hills, and to a certain extent caveat emptor. Specifically though when America went to an all volunteer force, one of the negatives was a declining societal familiarity with the military from conscription. 37 years later, we have a CIC who didn't know the sanctity of the CMOH, kids who desecrate military tombs, and slime who can profit and get away claiming to have joined the Marines at age 12.

IMHO it is is not societal decay ( although Roman historians may disagree) so much as a vast disconnect. By this I mean, even in liberal California you still see instances of respect and appreciation for our troops. For example a friend and his wife in Sacramento were at a nice restaurant earlier this year, when they noticed a young Marine in dress blues and his date in a prom dress, he tried to pick up their check too, but the waiter told him thank you but three other tables already did. Yet at the same time there are con men out there who take advantage of this dynamic.
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
akv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 19:29   #44
Kyobanim

Quote:
PS: WD your post is already indexed to google.. That's Fast,, Wonder if Wolf-gang-bang is reading??
Yes

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 19:43   #45
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Yes, though I wondered if the real BTDT types would christen this the " Ball Less Dummy" drill.

Seriously though, I question if guys like this and that "A$$-Junk Professor" from Monterey are further evidence of the growing disconnect Kaplan mentioned between the average citizen in our society and those who defend it. Con men who fleece folks are as old as the hills, and to a certain extent caveat emptor. Specifically though when America went to an all volunteer force, one of the negatives was a declining societal familiarity with the military from conscription. 37 years later, we have a CIC who didn't know the sanctity of the CMOH, kids who desecrate military tombs, and slime who can profit and get away claiming to have joined the Marines at age 12.

IMHO it is is not societal decay ( although Roman historians may disagree) so much as a vast disconnect. By this I mean, even in liberal California you still see instances of respect and appreciation for our troops. For example a friend and his wife in Sacramento were at a nice restaurant earlier this year, when they noticed a young Marine in dress blues and his date in a prom dress, he tried to pick up their check too, but the waiter told him thank you but three other tables already did. Yet at the same time there are con men out there who take advantage of this dynamic.
You mean like cadging a free meal by dressing up like a Marine and his date?