Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Hall of Heroes > Above and Beyond

Old 01-15-2011, 00:11   #31
Ace 227
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
My heros aren't athletes or actors but rather simple men like SSG Giunta who when the time called proved themselves to be brave warriors.
I could not agree more. One week ago I had the privilege of attending the Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio with my training company. As I sat in the crowd of several hundred IET soldiers, I noticed a soldier in ASUs walking along the sidelines before the game. As others noticed and became aware of who they were seeing a hush fell across the crowd, followed by a standing ovation. To us young soldiers, just seeing SSG Giunta is what some would describe as meeting their favorite rock star/sports star. You truly feel like you are in the presence of a living legend.
Ace 227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:43   #32
wet dog

I'll say it agian,...

it's about time we have a living MOH recipient amongst us from the GWOT genaeration.

I've met many MOH recipients over the years, and a few DSC and Silver Star soldiers. All in common? - "humility, love of country, undying devotion to team and regiment".

SSG Giunta, good job!
Old 02-08-2011, 15:36   #33
PSM
Area Commander

Medal of Honor recipient Sal Giunta to leave military

Quote:
Giunta has decided not to sign a contract for continued service in the U.S. Army, public affairs officer Todd Oliver told The Des Moines Register Tuesday.

The popular 26-year-old Hiawatha native has been the face of the Afghanistan war since President Obama presented him with the nation's highest military award in November.

"SSG Giunta's military service will end on or about 13 June," Oliver wrote in an e-mail from Italy.

Giunta is a noncommissioned officer in the 2nd Battalion, 503rd Parachute Infantry Regiment, 173rd Airborne Brigade. He is currently assigned to a base in Vincenza, Italy, called Caserma Ederle, where he aids military operations in Afghanistan.

(…)

He has handled his new fame with humility and reluctance. Giunta has said the praise for his actions was hard to swallow because two of his friends were killed in the ambush in October 2007.

"It's kind of an awkward situation," Giunta told the Register in a telephone interview in October 2010. "Every single person I was with would have done what I did, possibly even better, but they were doing other things. So for a medal to be awarded to me for actions that are 'above and beyond,' sometimes it's hard for me to stomach hearing that."

USA Today
Salute, SSG Giunta.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 23:49   #34
wet dog

I wish SSG Giunta the very best in his soon to be near future. May he find work he enjoys, time with family, new friends, old friends, all the best that life has to offer.

Thank you SSG Giunta, thanks for showing up.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:34   #35
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post
Salute, SSG Giunta. Pat
I hope he doesn't regret leaving.
Maybe he's getting trotted out a little much by Mother Army (she is rightly proud) and that probably is tiresome for a Soldier and a Leader.
I keep thinking of what happened to the Marines discribed in Flag of Our Fathers .
Lots of hooplah now SSG, but I'm sure you'll be allowed to Soldier and Lead if you stay. You can do a lot more good in.
Good Luck, I salute you.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:35   #36
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
I hope he doesn't regret leaving.
Maybe he's getting trotted out a little much by Mother Army (she is rightly proud) and that probably is tiresome for a Soldier and a Leader.
I keep thinking of what happened to the Marines discribed in Flag of Our Fathers .
Lots of hooplah now SSG, but I'm sure you'll be allowed to Soldier and Lead if you stay. You can do a lot more good in.
Good Luck, I salute you.
I believe Dozer has a valid point............He would do more good by saying in,but he wants to leave so we should let him leave with Dignity and Honor.............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:04   #37
cat in the hat
Quiet Professional

welcome to Colorado

SSG Guintasays in the Army times story, that he is looking at CSU.
Fort Collins is a great place to live and CSU is a good school.
if he regrets leaving, he can always join 5-19th or COARNG's new infantry BN.

American on the inside, useful on the outside
cat in the hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:50   #38
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I saw him during the Superbowl broadcast. He looked tired.

Probably like a lottery winner, he has all sorts of people asking him to do things for them.

Tough to be the first, after nine years of war. I suspect that he would like a much lower profile, and the Army will not let him do that.

I wish him the very best, and hope that life is kind to him. Thank you, SSG Giunta.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:57   #39
Richard
Quiet Professional

I hope he has some good friends and a strong family to support him as he bears the onerous task of being a MOH recipient for the rest of his life; he'll need them.

I, too, wish him all the best in whatever his future holds for him.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:56   #40
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
When I've heard him speak on television, and read some of his comments - especially his latest, that is the first thing that popped into my mind. I started thinking about Ira Hayes...

Whatever he does, I wish him the best. CSU is a great school (produces the best veteranarians in the world!).
Old 02-09-2011, 13:24   #41
PSM
Area Commander

Would the MOH keep him out of combat?

Our son is an ME Junior at CSU, and in the CONG.

Pat

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 17:45   #42
lksteve
Quiet Professional

I glimpsed at the headlines on the local rag (The Coloradoan) and it seems the good SSG is leaving the Army and enrolling in Colorado State...I can't confirm it, but I'm sure the paper got it right...

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20...o-Fort-Collins
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton

Last edited by lksteve; 02-09-2011 at 17:47.
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote